Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Tim and Stephanie just hooked up and became boyfriend and girlfriend out of nowhere
    a few weeks ago Stephanie was oogling Dick and calling him sexy batman or whatever
    I get that rebirth is a return to the classical elements that were abandoned but its not even consistent here
    Doesn't stephanie live with Harper and Cassie? Did she move out? Is she old enough to move out?
    Isn't Tim barely 16 how is he living by himself?
    I buy him considering college since that's possible if you are really smart
    none of that is answered its just presented to us.

I like this book but the complete 180 continuity while still trying to adhere to the status quo of the new 52 is odd

Quote Originally Posted by SXVA View Post
    Rehashing the early stages of their relationship was sort of what i was looking forward to the most along with reestablishing the two characters. I'm going to have to see it for myself in the issue and how it sits with me but that's a tough pill to swallow when jumping into this Rebirth book as sort of a new beginning and expecting things to move like it's a starting over point. Rebuilding and reestablishing. A rebirth. Missing some of the best parts in those initial stages of the relationship when they first connect and form that strong bond together. Aghhhhh. I'm going to try and keep an open mind going into it but that's disappointing to hear.
    It's kind of a catch-22 for writers. If you're just redoing an older story, then you're just putting off the story that you want to write. On the other hand, if you do anything differently, you'll catch a lot of a flack for changing things around.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Tim and Stephanie just hooked up and became boyfriend and girlfriend out of nowhere
    a few weeks ago Stephanie was oogling Dick and calling him sexy batman or whatever
    I get that rebirth is a return to the classical elements that were abandoned but its not even consistent here
    Doesn't stephanie live with Harper and Cassie? Did she move out? Is she old enough to move out?
    Isn't Tim barely 16 how is he living by himself?
    I buy him considering college since that's possible if you are really smart
    none of that is answered its just presented to us.

I like this book but the complete 180 continuity while still trying to adhere to the status quo of the new 52 is odd
    I don't know if it's a 180, but a lot of stuff has happened off-panel, yeah. It might be annoying, but I can understand not wanting to spend a whole lot of time on that, at least initially. I'm betting on flashbacks somewhere down the line.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Ultimate Member

I'm one of those who falls on the side of "I really don't need to see them essentially redo the Tim/Steph buildup yet again." They're a thing now, and that's ok with me, now lets move on and tell some NEW stories with them (and Cass).

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'm one of those who falls on the side of "I really don't need to see them essentially redo the Tim/Steph buildup yet again." They're a thing now, and that's ok with me, now lets move on and tell some NEW stories with them (and Cass).
    We're on the same page with this. I don't think it has to be rehashed either. They're a couple now just like before. Now, let's get on with telling some good stories.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    Next issue will be the big battle and hopefully, we'll see the team kick some.
    I cant wait to see them all out in the field for the first time. The solicit for #938 implies that the team gets curbstomped at some point, so I hope they all get some damage in before they get wrecked.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by joybeans View Post
    It's kind of a catch-22 for writers. If you're just redoing an older story, then you're just putting off the story that you want to write. On the other hand, if you do anything differently, you'll catch a lot of a flack for changing things around.
    Fair point. I guess it can be tough to go over what has been established in this medium because it becomes so sacred and canonical. Like a person can't really go back over Batman's parents death scene and add his/her own voice to it and change things up too much or there would be an uproar and backlash. Even still, i think you can go back over relationships and reestablish them and reconnect... for example, look at how Barry and Wally are reestablishing and reconnecting in the Flash books and it doesn't feel tired or worn out. I get the point that it can be tough for a writer to find their own unique voice in that regard to where it becomes simply a retelling/retreading over the same ground. It's a tricky situation but i think i'd prefer to see an attempt made. The Tim/Stephanie relationship hasn't been done over and over like for example Superman/Batmans origin story to where it can still be fresh i think. I, for one skipped a lot of New 52's later content and so some of this Rebirth material is a brand new beginning for me in a sense and so it feels like a fresh start and opportunity for these characters to reconnect and reestablish at least from my viewpoint.

When they said Rebirth i didn't think they meant literally making babies.

I hope this isn't a sign of what Rebirth is in comparison to what i thought it was. I thought it was slowly rebuilding and reestablishing but if it's just about cutting corners quickly to something else it doesn't get me as excited and interested. I'll see how things go as things progress. I mean the sky isn't falling and everything destroyed because of it. It's just not what i expected and was envisioning and thinking.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-22-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Not quite as good as the last issue, but still a decent read overall. Look forward too seeing Batman & Co kicking some Colony butt next time around.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Incredible Member

When that scene with Jacob and Kate started, I just knew it was coming, and Tynion did not disappoint. We finally know exactly how Kate is related to Bruce! This is a happy day. Now I wonder if we'll ever find out about Betty's parentage; Zero Year makes it pretty explicit that Philip wasn't a dad, so logic would dictate there might be at least one more sibling...

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    When that scene with Jacob and Kate started, I just knew it was coming, and Tynion did not disappoint. We finally know exactly how Kate is related to Bruce! This is a happy day.
    I think it's great how they're tying in Kate's family ties with Bruce's. It's very cool.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

BANNED

Hey, this series is actually good! Finally read 934 and this weeks issue, and Tynion is actually delivering on a decent story and characters. Badass Tim Drake is finally back and I can't wait to see more of him (Red Robin solo now!) but I'll be pretty disappointed if Rebirth doesn't restore his time as Robin, especially since the reboot didn't affect his age. Cass and Steph are good so far, Kate is a badass, and I think the story being set up will make good use of the characters and not sideline anyone. The Clayface stuff is a bit cliche, but I can give it a pass. Solid start for this series, can't wait for more.

I'm happy to see Tim and Steph together, but this was weird and jarring. It came out of the blue, and it doesn't get us any closer to the portrayal of Tim I was hoping for. Here he's still the New 52's computer genius love machine. Was hoping we would see some sweet, awkward fumbling as Steph and Tim got together in the new continuity, but instead it's straight to the sheets.

I don't necessarily need to see their whole courtship play out again, but the bottom line is they weren't together in this universe, so it feels like we've skipped over something important.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    This actually wasn't terrible. Tynion is handling Tim pretty well. Using Batman as a mouthpiece for how a lot of fans see Tim's post Flashpoint status quo, and reintroducing the idea that maybe Tim doesn't always want to be a superhero. Not too mention bringing back a school element that makes sense. That being said. I think he's maybe getting carried away with the things Tim is building. Didn't realize he was Tony Stark who can kind of just pull all this stuff out of his butt. And i still think Kate should water board him to establish dominance. The stuff with Batwoman was ok. Touching on the Kane/Wayne family relations was interesting. And with the end there im guessing Batman gets overwhelmed and thats gonna be what gets team Tec off the bench.
    I think Tim should continue to challenge Kate's authority. He's the smartest of the trainees and speaking up would set him apart from the rest of them as the one with leadership potential. Besides, a good lieutenant should challenge their commander from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Knight1047 View Post
    I think it's great how they're tying in Kate's family ties with Bruce's. It's very cool.
    I read an article today where Greg Rucka stated that he really doesn't like this development, as he thinks it robs her of her independence. While I absolutely appreciate the hand he had in developing such a great character, I have to disagree with him. I think her being Bruce's actual family and not turning to him for help, not asking for his assistance, is at least as powerful a statement of her independence from him. It would be so easy for her to just say "Hey, cuz, I need some gear", but she doesn't.

I also liked how during Jacob's scene, when he's describing Bruce, he's also describing Kate to a T.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I think Tim should continue to challenge Kate's authority. He's the smartest of the trainees and speaking up would set him apart from the rest of them as the one with leadership potential. Besides, a good lieutenant should challenge their commander from time to time.
    This dynamic could become such a strong element of the team. I loved how natural their interaction felt in this issue; tense, but not overly so. Steph is who I initially had my money on in terms of who Kate would grow closest to, but as of now I'm banking on Tim. If he continues to demonstrate that kind of steel, I think she'll grow to respect that, and him.