Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Nice issue.
    I think Diana is 6'0 to 6'1 in the picture.
    she don't reach the 6'3 line and we have to allow for her hair.

This was still pretty slow and I didn't find the Steve Trevor parts a whole lot interesting. In fact they were a little jarring to be honest, he's shown to be in a fight, but his opponents were never shown. I just read the thing and all I can remember is him talking. I'm not sure why the Etta Candy parts were in there as well. They slowed everything down further.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    A serviceable issue. I felt the rebirth issue was stronger.

The art was pretty though.
    I agree.

And why did they make Etta Candy heavier? What happened to her since FOREVER EVIL? I can't recall when I last saw her prior to today's WW #1.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Nice issue.
    I think Diana is 6'0 to 6'1 in the picture.
    she don't reach the 6'3 line and we have to allow for her hair.
    Wasn't there an interview where Rucka and co. said they deliberately increased Diana's height? From what I recall, post-CRISIS, she was 5'11". Then 6" in The New 52. I'm pretty sure there's a discussion somewhere about making Wonder Woman taller.

An entertaining book. I was really expecting Cheetah to appear at the end and lo - there she is. Still, nicely done. If I'm honest I didn't even realise that was Etta Candy! Oops... I liked the art - it was detailed and dynamic. Trevor was okay - I liked the hint at there being a history between them - more than a hint I guess - and the idea that he carries around a photo where Wonder Woman looks to have been under arrest. All the were-beasts made me think of Circe...

I like the use of the jungle - feels like Diana was diving into a complex world of claw and shadow. Yet it was not a leap of faith - or a desperate plunge - but a confident dive into destiny.

BANNED

Great issue, a bit slow paced but after years of reading Bendis stuff you get used to it.
    Etta is now Etta Waller? Steve finally grew a beard and cheetah is terrifying.
    8/10 for the pacing

Pretty good issue. I'm still on board.

My favorite part was Steve's photo of a smiling Diana.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Finally got it on Comixology, thanks for the link!

After the loooong Finch Drought, I am finally able to read Wonder Woman again! Rapturous artwork, I agree with others that the story did feel like it was ambling along in no particular rush but I was so happy to be reading a coherent story with gorgeous artwork that I really didn't mind at all. Looking forward to Year One!

Good issue. More intrigue, beautiful art, Steve and Etta playing a role, Diana being Diana, and some decent action. This run is shaping up fairly well, I feel .

Cheetah certainly looked as ferocious as she was depicted in this issue. It's weird not seeing Barbara with long, red, hair, but it's certainly an interesting look for Rebirth!Cheetah, and I'm definitely curious to see where Rucka will do with her now. Hopefully her more animalistic look won't stretch to her characterization too much.

I'm glad Rucka kept Etta's race-change but brought back her plumpness. Definitely glad to see her already playing an interesting role in the book, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from her in future issues, and with Diana and Steve.

Steve rocking a beard was kind of weird (I almost thought he looked like Green Arrow for a second), but Sharp made it look good .

Are Steve and Etta still employed by Argus, or are they now just generic government operatives? Rucka does seem to be doing quite a bit of revising on their characters and their relationships with Diana. Etta now has a history with Diana along with Steve, and is in charge of his operations, and Diana and Steve haven't been in contact with each other for a while. Which seems kind of odd, unless there's been a long time-skip since Darkseid War, or with Rebirth Rucka is doing his own take on Steve and Diana's relationship and their breakup/falling out which ignores Johns' Justice League run.

Steve having Diana's mugshot as a special memento was cute, especially when he refers to it as a picture of her only he has. Though unless all record of Diana's apparent arrest were expunged, I have a hard time believing that image isn't on the internet somewhere .

With Diana's big smile in that picture and how colorful it looked, I felt it made a sharp contrast with the more muted and darker colorings of the rest of the issue, to the point where for a second I thought it might have been been drawn by a different artist (or was it?). Possibly a good indication of the differences in tone and style of the present-day storyline as drawn by Sharp and the "Year One" stories Scott is drawing.

As far as Diana's height...didn't Rucka and co. say that Diana's a few centuries old now, thanks to effects of Paradise Island? Judging by recent solicits, that picture was probably taken shortly after she left Themyscira, where she was still 6'1" or so, and having been off the island for so long she may have started aging and growing to a present height of 6'3".
    Last edited by Frontier; 06-22-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Mighty Member

Okay I guess. A quick count (panels with Diana in them) sees her appearing in 4/10 of them. She spends the whole issue walking around appearing talking to herself, and about what actually? TRUTH TRUTH LIES LIES LIES w00t hoot hoot.

Topping of murdering a couple furry folks (defending their turf) with a smile (perhaps the smile Rucka ordered Liam to draw?), and then she get's jumped by Cheetah... Cheetah...

"Mmmm --murder" Lucky me I don't care much for continuity. Because I wouldn't consider that murder smile being on the queen Di in WW#0-35, whom managed to reform her fellow sis' bad ass Amazons of greek myths.

Still I must say that sole drawing of Barbara has done more for me for the character than the stuff after Marston. She looks (as in the way she is looking at Diana) as an animal with something behind her eyes as Diana asks for help. Could get interesting actually! Much more so than macho BS fantasy Steve Trevor. Blond beard man firing his gun, far cry from the stuff Marston put him through (look up "husband hunting") haha

It's still only 2 issues in, so I give it a chance of swaying me over (I usually give a book 4-6 issues). But as is stands now, it's quite far from the recent -whom I consider- tops with WW#0-35, Wonder Woman E1 and The legend of Wonder Woman. This issue didn't feel that much different from an issue of Slaine (basicaly irish punk rock Conan)I read the same morning as it. Mercy doesn't seem to be of interest and Diana only smiles on the cover holding swords or on page when killing enemies.

And of course. Liam Sharp on art. Magnificent. 2000AD class.

Quite solid 3/5. Hope things pick up, and get a bit more interesting.
    Last edited by borntohula; 06-22-2016 at 12:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Okay I guess. A quick count (panels with Diana in them) sees her appearing in 4/10 of them. She spends the whole issue walking around appearing talking to herself, and about what actually? TRUTH TRUTH LIES LIES LIES w00t hoot hoot.

Topping of murdering a couple furry folks (defending their turf) with a smile (perhaps the smile Rucka ordered Liam to draw?), and then she get's jumped by Cheetah... Cheetah...

"Mmmm --murder" Lucky me I don't care much for continuity. Because I wouldn't consider that murder smile being on the queen Di in WW#0-35, whom managed to reform her fellow sis' bad ass Amazons of greek myths.

Still I must say that sole drawing of Barbara has done more for me for the character than the stuff after Marston. She looks (as in the way she is looking at Diana) as an animal with something behind her eyes as Diana asks for help. Could get interesting actually! Much more so than macho BS fantasy Steve Trevor. Blond beard man firing his gun, far cry from the stuff Marston put him through (look up "husband hunting") haha

It's still only 2 issues in, so I give it a chance of swaying me over (I usually give a book 4-6 issues). But as is stands now, it's quite far from the recent -whom I consider- tops with WW#0-35, Wonder Woman E1 and The legend of Wonder Woman. This issue didn't feel that much different from an issue of Slaine (basicaly irish punk rock Conan)I read the same morning as it. Mercy doesn't seem to be of interest and Diana only smiles on the cover holding swords or on page when killing enemies.

And of course. Liam Sharp on art. Magnificent. 2000AD class.

Quite solid 3/5. Hope things pick up, and get a bit more interesting.

I don't think Diana is smiling here. At least not the "I get off on being a violent badass" kind of smile I think you're interpreting.

Also, Marston certainly did show Steve charging into a fight with his gun at the ready.
    Last edited by Largo161; 06-22-2016 at 01:16 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Overall the best Rebirth book released this week IMO. Great art, solid story, good pacing. An all around enjoyable read.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Well, at least it was enough to keep me interested. Sort of dull, overall.

Hoping for a "Bordering On Stark Raving Mad" Cheetah.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    After being attacked by Cheetah's minions of were-men(?) she finally gets attacked by Cheetah herself who manages to pin Diana on the ground before Diana makes her plea to Cheetah for help.
    One reader's take...

Cheetah didn't "manage" anything. Diana took a dive.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    Pretty good issue. I'm still on board.

My favorite part was Steve's photo of a smiling Diana.
    How old is Steve Trevor supposed to be?