Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I don't think Diana is smiling here. At least not the "I get off on being a violent badass" kind of smile I think you're interpreting.

Also, Marston certainly did show Steve charging into a fight with his gun at the ready.
    To me, that's definitely a smile. A scary one, since she's choking out a furry person (whom for all I know was defending it's home).

As for Marston's Steve. (to me the--) Least he did things beyond that. Even if it was in line with being casual about men being used as husbands (Marson) being grabbed by the balls by Di (WW#E1) or treated as a mere ticked off the island (WW#0-35), least it was something else beyond "Behold. Ima man male. I gots a beard and a gun.". Never boring

Mighty Member

Cheetah looked amazing, so did Etta, and Steve. I can't believe all three are back. I always feel weird judging singles esp #1s because it is just set up and usually I think you need an entire arc to really judge things and that's sorta how ruckas last run was the only difference is its been out so long that when I read it I just had to click on the next issue instead of waiting. Nothing bad so far I'm.just interested in how this will end. The only thing I could critique is that Diana's story line here was clearly dragged out a bit too long but once it comes out in a trade I'm sure it won't even register.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    How old is Steve Trevor supposed to be?
    This version looks 35-ish to me.

If his age has been specifically stated in the books, I wouldn't know. I haven't been reading any WW titles in the last five years (roughly) besides Sensation, Legend Of and WW '77.
    Last edited by Largo161; 06-22-2016 at 02:02 PM.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Okay I guess. A quick count (panels with Diana in them) sees her appearing in 4/10 of them. She spends the whole issue walking around appearing talking to herself, and about what actually? TRUTH TRUTH LIES LIES LIES w00t hoot hoot.

Topping of murdering a couple furry folks (defending their turf) with a smile (perhaps the smile Rucka ordered Liam to draw?), and then she get's jumped by Cheetah... Cheetah...

"Mmmm --murder" Lucky me I don't care much for continuity. Because I wouldn't consider that murder smile being on the queen Di in WW#0-35, whom managed to reform her fellow sis' bad ass Amazons of greek myths.

Still I must say that sole drawing of Barbara has done more for me for the character than the stuff after Marston. She looks (as in the way she is looking at Diana) as an animal with something behind her eyes as Diana asks for help. Could get interesting actually! Much more so than macho BS fantasy Steve Trevor. Blond beard man firing his gun, far cry from the stuff Marston put him through (look up "husband hunting") haha

It's still only 2 issues in, so I give it a chance of swaying me over (I usually give a book 4-6 issues). But as is stands now, it's quite far from the recent -whom I consider- tops with WW#0-35, Wonder Woman E1 and The legend of Wonder Woman. This issue didn't feel that much different from an issue of Slaine (basicaly irish punk rock Conan)I read the same morning as it. Mercy doesn't seem to be of interest and Diana only smiles on the cover holding swords or on page when killing enemies.

And of course. Liam Sharp on art. Magnificent. 2000AD class.

Quite solid 3/5. Hope things pick up, and get a bit more interesting.
    Pretty sure those things attacked her first.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

A big step up from the Rebirth issue. Glad to see Etta back to her usual body size and with more of a personality than her New 52 counterpart. I love that she can command respect while still being polite. I also like that Steve seems to have his own independent storyline so far, but I guess they're going to converge if the solicits for #5 are any indication.

I'm not wild about Cheetah losing her hair, but she looks damn impressive and creepy on that last page. From the dialogue, it seems this continuity still has them as friends before Barbara became the Cheetah. And she has an army of minions now who all look like the First Born's family. Why did she decide to settle in that jungle? Hopefully her skills as an archaeologist are coming into play in the next part, as well as some actual dialogue, but having her be a voiceless, lingering presence until the last page was very effective here.

So now Themysirca has vanished. The mystery deepens.

To me, that's definitely a smile. A scary one, since she's choking out a furry person (whom for all I know was defending it's home)
    She isn't killing any of them, and let's keep in mind that they ignored her pleas for a peaceful dialogue, and also kill other things and display the parts for sport. And if Cheetah didn't want them to attack, I doubt they would have. I don't have too much sympathy for them, especially since she most likely just rendered them unconscious.

BANNED

Writing was kind of meh IMO, but I trust Rucka enough to stick with the series. But damn this is a great looking comic. I like Nicola Scott just fine, but Liam Sharp is so good here that Scotts issues might look mediocre by comparison.

Also, was the Cheetah who appeared in the New 52 stories Barbara Minerva, or someone else?

To me, that's definitely a smile. A scary one, since she's choking out a furry person (whom for all I know was defending it's home).

As for Marston's Steve. (to me the--) Least he did things beyond that. Even if it was in line with being casual about men being used as husbands (Marson) being grabbed by the balls by Di (WW#E1) or treated as a mere ticked off the island (WW#0-35), least it was something else beyond "Behold. Ima man male. I gots a beard and a gun.". Never boring
    Maybe we should wait til the next issue before deciding this Steve is boring.

Incredible Member Elegant Dreamer's Avatar

I hope they answer some unanswered questions (unless I missed something, which could be true):

1. Why does Wonder Woman think Cheetah could help her?
    2. Are we going to continue the mystery of Jason?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Also, was the Cheetah who appeared in the New 52 stories Barbara Minerva, or someone else?
    It was, though she was revealed to have used the names Priscilla Rich and Deborah Domaine in the past as aliases.

I'm excited for Year One, but I kind of wish they would do it after this storyline. It's annoying to have to wait until the end of next month to hear how Barbara responds.

Love the art, but the story was way too decompressed. The pacing is just so slow. The whole issue can be summed up in one sentence: Wonder Woman wades through the jungle to ask for Cheetah's help, while Etta and Trevor deal with some insurgents. Etta and Trevor's story wasn't interesting enough to deserve half the issue. Since the modern day story takes place every other issue, I feel like it will take forever for Diana to figure out what's going on with her memories.

Now, for my main gripe with this whole thing...

The ending of the "Rebirth" special to just prior to the start of this issue. What exactly am I to assume has been going on? We go from Diana fighting automatons in seemingly "False" Olympus to Diana trying to track down a certain someone.

How does one get you to the other? If "Olympus" from the ending of the "Rebirth" special is a fake, how does she find a way out of it? She clearly cannot manage to find a seemingly actual place in this issue.

Just weird.

I'm officially concerned. The art is, of course, beautiful. But the nearly muted, ultra decompressed style of the Rebirth issue continues into #1, at least with the Diana stuff,which I was desperately hoping it would not. Watching Diana walk through a jungle for multiple pages straight barely saying anything just is not good storytelling to me. There was absolutely no reason other than the writing for trade format for the entire issue being Diana tracking Cheetah with her only words being silly warnings and zero interactions otherwise. There's no reason they couldn't have met up halfway through and had some dialogue in this very issue.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-22-2016 at 03:59 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Now, for my main gripe with this whole thing...

The ending of the "Rebirth" special to just prior to the start of this issue. What exactly am I to assume has been going on? We go from Diana fighting automatons in seemingly "False" Olympus to Diana trying to track down a certain someone.

How does one get you to the other? If "Olympus" from the ending of the "Rebirth" special is a fake, how does she find a way out of it? She clearly cannot manage to find a seemingly actual place in this issue.

Just weird.
    I blame Dr. Manhattan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm officially concerned. The art is, of course, beautiful. But the nearly muted, ultra decompressed style of the Rebirth issue continues into #1, at least with the Diana stuff,which I was desperately hoping it would not. Watching Diana walk through a jungle for multiple pages straight barely saying anything just is not good storytelling to me. There was absolutely no reason other than the writing for trade format for the entire issue being Diana tracking Cheetah with her only words being silly warnings and zero interactions otherwise. There's no reason they couldn't have met up halfway through and had some dialogue in this very issue.
    I remember similar complaints about Rucka's original run. Identical complaints, in fact---why is time spent on panels of Diana walking from point A to point B?! LOL. Rucka will be Rucka, I guess.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I remember similar complaints about Rucka's original run. Identical complaints, in fact---why is time spent on panels of Diana walking from point A to point B?! LOL. Rucka will be Rucka, I guess.
    That seems to be how he writes in general. The first issue of his first WW run mostly followed Jonah McCarthy meeting the embassy staff with Diana doing stuff in another country, but not actually appearing fully until the last couple pages, where she greeted him and they flew together. And then we didn't get a fight scene until the Silver Swan showed up like 5 or 6 issues later. Meanwhile, Alice didn't show up until the last two pages of Elegy.

Of course, modern comics in general are tough to follow on a monthly basis. My interest usually wanes no matter who is writing, and I don't usually catch up until the trades come out. As long as Rucka keeps throwing Wondy rogues at me though I'll stick around for the foreseeable future, and the bi-monthly release schedule will help.