Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Default Outside Perspective Stories

I have a soft spot for comics that look at Gotham from outside the perspective of the bat-fam. Denny O'Neil did an interesting one during Last Rites, with Veil as a sort of avatar for the city. There've been some good ones following a criminal's perspective, or vignettes of people Batman had an effect on. Elijah Snow and Jakita Wagner talking the history and social situation of Gotham in Night on Earth.

Alisa Kwitney wrote a great comic, The Message, about a man on a mission from Gotham itself, set during No Man's Land that's unlikely to ever get reprinted, despite being wonderfully written, beautifully drawn by Michael Zulli, and excellently colored. Absolute dick moment when Gotham tells our boy to let Oracle know she "serves us better this way," before he leaves her, but that's Gotham. Gotham is a bastard. It's not even a brawler, it's a knife you in passing city.

Anyone have some good recommendations?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Does Gotham Central count?
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Does Gotham Central count?
    I'm going to say yes, since no one's intimate with the superheroes, and besides, it's awesome.

I'd count Gordon of Gotham, too, even if Jim Gordon is more or less on intimate terms, because it's about how other places, other cops see Gordon as a man and a cop, Gotham as a city, and its dependence on Batman.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Hitman comes to mind, which was pretty rad. There was also a series a while back which I never got around to checking out....Simon Darrk by Steve Niles; did anyone ever read that?

Also, on that note; the Steve Niles mini where Batman and Deadman go out to the suburbs to solve a spooky mystery? Really great. I mean actual picket fences, two car garage, mowing the lawn suburbs, a part of Gotham that should obviously be massive but is so under-represented it actually feels alien. Also Batman uses a jet pack to buzz around peoples houses.

BANNED

John Ostrander's Gotham Nights mini series.

"The People of Gotham City... and Batman.
    When Batman pursues a criminal into the Robinson Central railway terminal, six assorted people whose lives rarely intersect with his are present in the crowds. A doughnut seller, an elderly couple, two business people and a former convict all carry on their days barely affected by this, as other events are far more important to them. Joel Mayfield learns that he has a terminal illness, Jennifer Lee meets a charming stranger, and Dionisio Viella decides to return to a life of crime. "

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Larry Hama did something along these lines during his brief time on Batman, issue #578.

It centred around a man going out to commit a murder while trying to evade Batman. The whole thing is a nice little nod to the psychological relationship between Gotham and Batman (IIRC).

It also features art by Scott McDaniel back when he was on fire!

Incredible Member

If they count, Arkham Asylum Living Hell and Arkham reborn are cool. Written from non-Batman perspectives.

Azzarello's "Joker" has many great, seedy local colour moments. It's not strictly an outsider's perspective since it is the Joker, but Batman barely shows up so I'd say it counts.

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Larry Hama did something along these lines during his brief time on Batman, issue #578.

It centred around a man going out to commit a murder while trying to evade Batman. The whole thing is a nice little nod to the psychological relationship between Gotham and Batman (IIRC).

It also features art by Scott McDaniel back when he was on fire!
    Nice. Big fan of both, but I don't think I've read that one. Will have to track it down.