Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    Hardly a great victory for minority representation at Marvel, given that they've killed off an established black character for one that will probably have the spotlight for a good 5 minutes before being forgotten.
    Bingo. I mean it's honestly 1 step forward, 3 steps backwards. There was really no reason they couldn't have introduced her without killing off Rhody to do so, especially when it's not like Marvel doesn't have teenage characters who emulate established heroes so there was nothing stopping them here. We've got the Spider-Family and had the Hulk Clan so why not add to the Iron Family?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Remember back when we wanted to read about our favorite heroes we could actually read about them and not someone else just wearing their costume? I mean seriously we currently have legacy characters of Spider-Man, Nova, Ms. Marvel, Hulk, Wasp, Captain America, War Machine, Wolverine, Thor, Falcon, Quasar, Giant-Man, ect all running around at the exact same time. While some are definitely good characters, this whole thing is really wearing thin and getting really old really fast especially with it all happening so close together and out of the whole list there only with 3 of those characters has Marvel taken a page from DC's book and actually given us a choice of if we want to read the original, legacy or both rather than outright replacing them. I'm not saying that comics shouldn't evolve with time but forcing legacy characters down our throats isn't the way to go about it and can end up detrimental to the success of the legacy character.
    I'd say they are giving you a choice with more than than three.

You can still read Peter Parker as Spider-Man is you wish. He's in more than one book.

1. I'm not sure Ms Marvel counts at all. Carol had long since abandoned the identity herself accepting the code name of a number of heroes that had also long abandoned the identity but even so if you want to read about Carol Danvers she stars in more than one ongoing comic book.

2. Wolverine? Yeah kinda but then Old Man Logan is around and you can definitely argue he is more like classic Wolverine than how the character had been presented for ages prior to his death.

3. Giant man? I mean we're talking about Hank Pym, right? The character who had five more different identities and allowed Scott Lang and Bill Foster to assume his unused ones. It's pretty much baked into the character and if it really bothers you he's back too and looks like Janet is still active as the Wasp.

4 & 5. Falcon ie: Sam Wilson is now Captain America which bothers the heck out of some people but if you want to read Steve Rogers he's got his own book. Granted he's now a "Hydra agent" so people can reasonably argue it isn't really him although c'mon how long is that going to last? He'll be de-Hydrafied before you know it.

Thor? Yes Odinson is off the table now but it's baked into the story that he'll be back and they've even strongly hinted how it will happen.

So basically there's Nova and Quasar? I like both Richard Rider and Wendall Vaughn but it's not like the featured in any any ongoings for a long time.
    Last edited by Orbus; 06-22-2016 at 05:31 PM.

Spectacular Member

Its an advertisement for comics nobody is forcing anyone to buy much less down your throat

Its like people are dedicated to being whining fanboys.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coolatta View Post
    Its an advertisement for comics nobody is forcing anyone to buy much less down your throat

Its like people are dedicated to being whining fanboys.
    Can we please stop throwing the "whining fanboys" accusation as an insult to anyone who dislikes a decision made in the publication or movie side of comic books... s pretty ridiculous....

Quote Originally Posted by Orbus View Post
    I'd say they are giving you a choice with more than than three.

You can still read Peter Parker as Spider-Man is you wish. He's in more than one book.

1. I'm not sure Ms Marvel counts at all. Carol had long since abandoned the identity herself accepting the code name of a number of heroes that had also long abandoned the identity but even so if you want to read about Carol Danvers she stars in more than one ongoing comic book.

2. Wolverine? Yeah kinda but then Old Man Logan is around and you can definitely argue he is more like classic Wolverine than how the character had been presented for ages prior to his death.

3. Giant man? I mean we're talking about Hank Pym, right? The character who had five more different identities and allowed Scott Lang and Bill Foster to assume his unused ones. It's pretty much bakes into the character at if it really bothers he's back too and looks like Janet is still active as the Wasp.

4 & 5. Falcon ie: Sam Wilson is now Captain America which bothers the heck out of some people but if you want to read Steve Rogers he's got his own book. Granted he's now a "Hydra agent" so people can reasonably argue it isn't really him although c'mon how long is that going to last? He'll be de-Hydrafied before you know it.

Thor? Yes Odinson is off the table now but it's baked into the story that he'll be back and they've even strongly hinted how it will happen.

So basically there's Nova and Quasar? I like both Richard Rider and Wendall Vaughn but it's not like the featured in any any ongoings for a long time.
    1. Kamala does count as, while Carol did abandon the name, Kamala is still the legacy character to her, having taken up the mantle and is acknowledged in the same light as Miles is to Peter and Sam is to Richard.

2. Old Man Logan while being an older version of Logan isn't the same Logan having come from an alternate future. Beyond a certain point in history, he's basically a different character and even refuses to even be called Wolverine. If anything, he only exacerbates the issue since his presence basically gives Marvel even more reason not to bring back our Wolverine.

3. While Hank is known for switching up identities all the time, Giant-Man had been the one that he had most recently settled on after finally deciding to be his own person, having log since passed on Ant-Man to Scott and then O'Grady and the persona that he "died" as. As for him being back, we can't be too sure considering this is Ultron we're dealing with and the arc can end anywhere from complete separation of the two, to them putting him in stasis til they can figure something out or even his getting away. And we don't even have anything solid on Janet aside from her appearing in the current Uncanny Avengers and ANAD Avenger arc.

4&5: Captain America was one of the heroes I was talking about when I mentioned that there was an option of which you want read rather than just the legacy hero.

And finally Thor, while yes he will be back at some point, who knows just how long it'll be until that happens or we get a continuation of his current situation. In the pre-Secret Wars Thor, the two at least had a bit of a point of sharing the book but since the relaunch Thor has basically been written out of it so Jane can take the whole thing for herself despite this also being a pretty major story for Thor himself as well.

RiRi should be Iron Woman. Just go with it. Plus it helps give Marvel another trademark that DC or whoever can't have. She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel and Spider-Woman all got their names this way.

All-New Member

2. Old Man Logan while being an older version of Logan isn't the same Logan having come from an alternate future. Beyond a certain point in history, he's basically a different character and even refuses to even be called Wolverine. If anything, he only exacerbates the issue since his presence basically gives Marvel even more reason not to bring back our Wolverine.
    Does it really make any difference if this Logan came from an alternate future?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    I mean in the sense that both this Logan and the now deceased Wolverine are great characters and fun to read about, no, not really.

In the sense whether they are interchangeable character, yes it does, because they are quite different people...

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Yes because that's essentially saying that you can just replace a character with an alternate version of them like they're just indistinguishable like that. Old Man Logan is no more Logan than pre-52 Superman is 52-Superman in the current DC relaunch.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I like how Marvel assumes all black women outside of storm have an afro. Get. A. Clue.

BANNED

Well, not cool of Marvel to kill off Rhodey to do this but on the other hand, more WOC superheroes for Marvel so okay.

Incredible Member

1. Kamala does count as, while Carol did abandon the name, Kamala is still the legacy character to her, having taken up the mantle and is acknowledged in the same light as Miles is to Peter and Sam is to Richard.

3. While Hank is known for switching up identities all the time, Giant-Man had been the one that he had most recently settled on after finally deciding to be his own person, having log since passed on Ant-Man to Scott and then O'Grady and the persona that he "died" as. As for him being back, we can't be too sure considering this is Ultron we're dealing with and the arc can end anywhere from complete separation of the two, to them putting him in stasis til they can figure something out or even his getting away. And we don't even have anything solid on Janet aside from her appearing in the current Uncanny Avengers and ANAD Avenger arc.

4&5: Captain America was one of the heroes I was talking about when I mentioned that there was an option of which you want read rather than just the legacy hero.

And finally Thor, while yes he will be back at some point, who knows just how long it'll be until that happens or we get a continuation of his current situation. In the pre-Secret Wars Thor, the two at least had a bit of a point of sharing the book but since the relaunch Thor has basically been written out of it so Jane can take the whole thing for herself despite this also being a pretty major story for Thor himself as well.
    1. I think the problem I have with Kamala being considered a legacy hero is she shares little in common with Carol Danvers Ms Marvel identity. A single lightning bolt on her costume is all the shared iconography between them and she doesn't fight any of Carol's villains or carry on any of the themes of Carol's books. The only thing that connects the two is Kamala is depicted as a huge fan of Carol Danvers but theoretically she could have been a fan of any female hero. Jean Grey, Storm, any of the Spider-Women and taken up a code name to honor them. It just so happened that Marvel thought 'Ms Marvel' was a cool name and it was up for grabs.

2. The Old Man Logan book is naturally themed around the original mini series but I don't think that's much different to any writer takes on or launches a book about a pre-existing character and themes it around something new. Remender took Steve Rogers to Dimension-Z, even after he came back most of the stories were built around that concept but no one argues it wasn't actually Steve Rogers. Beyond that like I said; some fans feel he's much more like Wolverine than the actual Wolverine had characterized for some time.

3. Hank has settled on many identities, I think even if he didn't merge with Ultron we'd have gotten him swiching guises. The problem with him settling on just one identity...say Giant Man is that eventually the character finds himself in situation were people reading will wonder why doesn't he shrink down to get himself out of this jam. On the flip side some writers will bite the bullet and actually do it and conceptually it doesn't work to well having a character called Giant-Man zipping round on little ants. Not to mention there will be writers who will want to explore Yellowjacket identity - after all it was pretty versatile hence why Hickman used it for Times Runs Out.

I think the best thing for Hank is that he either goes without a code name or chooses a more generic one which doesn't single out of his abilities. Also I'm sure that somewhere it's been said Jan will interact with the new Wasp and she was using her powers in Uncanny Avengers without making it a big deal; as in it wasn't portrayed as a one-shot deal or anything.

As for Thor it's up to Aaron and/or Marvel. I can't help but think that Aaron didn't want to prolong the mystery of who the new Thor was but Marvel thought it was a good selling point. Since Jane Foster's Thor book is selling well it's true they may not be in a hurry. That being said I suspect that they may want to bring back Odinson around the same time as they de-Hydra Steve Rogers and portray it as a heroes return. Come to think of it the original Civil War ended with something that suggested the return of Thor. It's not out of the question Civil War II could do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    I'm pretty unhappy about Marvel bumping off Rhodey, and there's nothing about this new War Machine that piques my interest. Yawn.
    I think that the selling point is that War Machine is now a black girl instead of a black guy.

Remember back when we wanted to read about our favorite heroes we could actually read about them and not someone else just wearing their costume? I
    Ms. Marvel is one of my favorite heroes, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateTy View Post
    The existence of this Riri character annoys me. She's basically Rhodey's niece from his Iron Patriot series but I bet Bendis just wanted the new character to be his OC.
    That's the worst part, since she's so close to being the same character already(heck I thought she WAS Rhodey's niece when I first read her intro in iron man).