Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default What would have saved the New 52 Superman?

What ideas do you think would have saved New 52 Superman? Would having him hook up with Lois have done it? Would giving him a more traditional costume done it? Obviously crossover fatigue and stories that go nowhere didn't help but what else could DC have done that would have prevented his death?

Better editors.

There was nothing wrong with Nuperman. Sure, there were things I would have liked to see done differently. Lois needed a role in the books. Shay Veritas should have stuck around. The blogger thing was worth exploring. So on and so forth.

But the only actual flaw in Superman these last five years was the people in charge of him.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Berganza being booted after Doomed.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Berganza being booted after Doomed.
    Berganza booted at the start of new 52 and replaced by Grant Morrison while Pak working as co-writer alongside him. Plus Johns never writing Justice League.
    "By force of will he turns his gaze upon the seething horror bellow us on the hillside.
    Yes, he feels the icy touch of fear, but he is not cowed. He is Superman!"

They could have just kept publishing his comics and not written a Death of Superman story.

I mean, seriously. They did not have to do this. He was selling better than the Pre-Flashpoint Superman.

However, it might have helped had Truth not gone on so long and they had fewer crossover epics, and just let people write the character doing what the character does in his fairly normal circumstances (for him) in each book for extended lengths of time. Truth would have been okay as an arc in one book for a few months, or every book for 2-3 months, but it went on way too long. Similarly, Doomed did not need to be like a 40 part thingamabob where they required you to read like every book published involving Superman, and then a random issue of Supergirl and then some extra special Doomed issues that weren't part of a book and then...

Like, just develop the character doing what the character does. Keep continuity, and move forward so it's not like he stays totally the same every month for 10 years (Have logical incremental changes in his relationships and situations), but assign four good writers to the four books they had (Not counting the two Justice League titles) and let them plot good arcs and write them. A higher profile writer or two for one book might have helped. But just letting them develop the character while keeping him as Clark Kent with the Superman secret identity might have helped.

They could have even had him reveal himself to Jim like he did, and then to Lois, but still kept his secret identity from the world. He could have had a power crisis that was brief and hit the road for a few issues on a motorcycle.

But everything had to be a really lengthy mega-event that ended in a reset, so nothing could really give him momentum as Superman. And there wasn't enough room to let writers to tell their own stories in long-term arcs. Things would get going and then they'd have to do a crossover or a Truth event and it'd all go out the window.

They also should have really locked in some things like who Jim was to him, and his love for Diana, and not screwed with it. Jim the friend doesn't revert to Jimmy the guy he's mentoring depending on who's writing. There isn't like a year where it's not clear if he and Diana are dating or not, just keep them together. Give it some stability to develop slowly and for people to tell good stories. That eventually would have sold more copies.

However, again, I consider the death a bad editorial decision that the circumstances didn't dictate. The issue of Superman where he got his powers back sold 90,000 copies. They didn't even give him a single issue before he was dying. This is death by editorial mandate, not because there was any real sales justification for it. They could have done some things to make sales better to that point, but sales were not low enough to dictate this. They wanted to get press and fan attention by killing off one Superman and bringing back another one (Gimmick! New #1 issues!), plus Jon Kent is clearly someone's pet project that he wanted to make sure got maximum exposure by shoving him into the biggest books in an attempt to get his character cemented into the Superman line so much that even reboots won't remove him. The whole thing sucks. I just do not agree they had to do this AT ALL. Premise rejected. With all due respect.

Also, I think someone there has a hard-on for Pre-Flashpoint Superman and was biding his time waiting to pull this crap.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-22-2016 at 06:16 PM.

They broke New 52 Superman. They took him too far away from spec, especially with the Truth storyline, and he was pretty much beyond repair. You'd have to go all the way back to the beginning, let Morrison establish the new version of the character, and then not stray as far away from classic Superman storytelling as they did. They went astray years ago, in my opinion.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

A change of editor would help him, or if DiDio turned down Jurgens' pitch to give a son to Lois and Clark, he would still be around..

Maintaining the same sales as his introduction would have saved him too.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Quote Originally Posted by upgrayedd View Post
    Maintaining the same sales as his introduction would have saved him too.
    That would have been nice, but entirely unrealistic. Everything drops to a leveling out point. Even Batman does. To a lesser degree than everything else, sure, but nothing starts at one high point and remains there. The mark to look out for are drastic drops, and the only drastic drop the New 52 version had, despite incompetent editorial, was the Truth storyline. Which strongly suggested the only thing the Superman line needed was that story to end and just move on from there. But, if certain quotes are to be believed, they had made the decision to swap Superman out for Superdad before Truth even started. Which suggests that even sales weren't enough for the guy, as he was doing fine around the time Johns took over Superman and began laying his Mr. Oz hints which again, supposedly was all done with the intent of a similar situation to what we have now.

I suppose the optimist could look at that as more evidence however that Superman is just on brief sabbatical and the intent was never to be rid of him entirely. One can hope. But I guess I would have to rescind my original post and say that I think the real answer is: nothing. They were determined to do this when the New 52 Superman doing fine. So while its up in the air still whether the intent here is to permanently remove him or its just part of a story meant to bring him back alive and well in due time, nothing would have stopped this part of the tale. As they were seemingly determined to do it when there appeared to be no pressing need to in the first place.

They broke New 52 Superman. They took him too far away from spec, especially with the Truth storyline, and he was pretty much beyond repair.
    He was barely even damaged, much less broken beyond repair. You magically reinstate the secret identity and boom, you're done, everything's fine. Hardly the symptoms of a broken-beyond-repair character. At the absolute worst he was just the victim of a year's worth of a boring storyline. That's it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-22-2016 at 07:19 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    They broke New 52 Superman. They took him too far away from spec, especially with the Truth storyline, and he was pretty much beyond repair. You'd have to go all the way back to the beginning, let Morrison establish the new version of the character, and then not stray as far away from classic Superman storytelling as they did. They went astray years ago, in my opinion.
    I think the whole reason they got away with doing Truth was because they knew they'd be doing a big reset button on parts of the continuity and the brand at issue #52.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    They could have just kept publishing his comics and not written a Death of Superman story.

I mean, seriously. They did not have to do this. He was selling better than the Pre-Flashpoint Superman.

However, it might have helped had Truth not gone on so long and they had fewer crossover epics, and just let people write the character doing what the character does in his fairly normal circumstances (for him) in each book for extended lengths of time. Truth would have been okay as an arc in one book for a few months, or every book for 2-3 months, but it went on way too long. Similarly, Doomed did not need to be like a 40 part thingamabob where they required you to read like every book published involving Superman, and then a random issue of Supergirl and then some extra special Doomed issues that weren't part of a book and then...
    Honestly, I think this is where the books started going off the rails. I hated the nineties where you had to read every book a character was in to get the full story. And in an era where books were getting up to about $5 a pop, it's kind of an unreasonable request in this day and age. The whole point of the New 52, at least I thought, was to get away from this model.

1. As some have already said, better editing. He was bogged down by constant crossovers and a vague "5 year timeline." Any interesting story ideas never seemed to have an ending in mind (e.g.Truth).
    2. Stronger focus on Clark and his supporting cast. They weren't allowed to shine much, especially with all the crossovers. Ironically, the double-shipping of books for Superdad would have done a lot for building Nuperman's world.
    3. A better costume. No collar, less lines, classic boots, and a little yellow in the belt would have done wonders for him.

Omnes Viae Ad Infernum 666MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    The legendary Fortress Of Solitude, the strangest place on earth

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    What ideas do you think would have saved New 52 Superman? Would having him hook up with Lois have done it? Would giving him a more traditional costume done it? Obviously crossover fatigue and stories that go nowhere didn't help but what else could DC have done that would have prevented his death?
    I think the main ideas (attitude, SMWW, more of a social crusader mixed wityh Silver Age craziness) worked. What didn't work were bad writing and excessive editorial meddling/ crossovers. There wasn't too much character development.

So, the contrary to that would have saved him.

EDIT: they could have done that at any moment. Even now. Rebirth was not necessary.
    Last edited by 666MasterOfPuppets; 06-23-2016 at 08:41 AM.