Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Suicide Squad's" Viola Davis Wanted to Pepper Spray Leto for His Joker Gift

The actress who plays Amanda Waller apparently did receive a gift from Leto that made her feel nervous and worrisome.

Full article here.

Leto seems like an utter creep honestly. Like, cool you're a method actor, but there are some characters you don't need to "become" in order to play the role. Also worrying when you consider he's been accused of paedophilia/sexual assault a number of times - This sort of method acting stuff probably warrants it to an extent for him

Well, getting bullets would be a scary normally but he was in character. So the Joker probably wanted to kill Amanda.

wow

so method

much acting

(These stupid Leto tidbits are the only things dampening my enthusiasm for this movie.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Well, getting bullets would be a scary normally but he was in character. So the Joker probably wanted to kill Amanda.
    So if I send someone bullets and go 'haha I'm just in character, I'm a method actor' its suddenly magically not scary for that person? Why is Jared's choice to go method a justification for doing something that legitimately freaks out someone who did not consent to be his test subject for him to practice his method creepiness on?

There are boundaries, and just because you've decided to go method doesn't mean its okay to go jumping across those boundaries with other people whenever you feel like it. Method acting isn't a mental illness, its a conscious choice made by an actor, who can stop it at any time it passes from honing his technique to seriously disturbing his castmates, something that's apparently happened frequently on this film. There is no reason whatsoever that 'being method' should be held up as a defense for choices Leto still consciously made, knowing that they weren't being well received by his castmates.

BANNED

Leto isn't showing his depth of talent just his depth of being a tool. I'm betting he's actually gong to be a big disappointment in the role too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    So if I send someone bullets and go 'haha I'm just in character, I'm a method actor' its suddenly magically not scary for that person? Why is Jared's choice to go method a justification for doing something that legitimately freaks out someone who did not consent to be his test subject for him to practice his method creepiness on?

There are boundaries, and just because you've decided to go method doesn't mean its okay to go jumping across those boundaries with other people whenever you feel like it. Method acting isn't a mental illness, its a conscious choice made by an actor, who can stop it at any time it passes from honing his technique to seriously disturbing his castmates, something that's apparently happened frequently on this film. There is no reason whatsoever that 'being method' should be held up as a defense for choices Leto still consciously made, knowing that they weren't being well received by his castmates.
    Are you an actor? I would imagine the context of you sending bullets to someone would be just a bit different than this.

I wonder if they we e normal bullets, or did they look like some kind of Joker bullets that people would probably buy as memorabilia?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Are you an actor? I would imagine the context of you sending bullets to someone would be just a bit different than this.

I wonder if they we e normal bullets, or did they look like some kind of Joker bullets that people would probably buy as memorabilia?
    Actually, as a matter of fact I am a professional working SAG-AFTRA actor, and nobody I know thinks that 'I'm just being method' is an excuse for this kind of behavior. Like, I'm sorry, but what context do you think exists for sending bullets to someone (castmate or someone else) that ISN'T creepy as hell? Me being an actor isn't remotely relevant to being of the opinion that this is messed up. I'm not sure why anyone is thinking Leto should be operating under a different notion of 'right vs wrong' just because he made the choice to go method.

You are not your character, no matter how deep into the role you go. You do not get a pass on behavior you engage in while being method, simply because you were being method.

Viola Davis creeped out by total creep. Why question that? She had way more context for the box of bullets she was gifted than anyone here, and in general she's way more qualified gauge her own situation than anyone else is. How many stories of Jared Leto being insufferable creep can people handwave away as everyone else overreacting?

BANNED

Actually, as a matter of fact I am a professional working SAG-AFTRA actor, and nobody I know thinks that 'I'm just being method' is an excuse for this kind of behavior. Like, I'm sorry, but what context do you think exists for sending bullets to someone (castmate or someone else) that ISN'T creepy as hell? Me being an actor isn't remotely relevant to being of the opinion that this is messed up. I'm not sure why anyone is thinking Leto should be operating under a different notion of 'right vs wrong' just because he made the choice to go method.

You are not your character, no matter how deep into the role you go. You do not get a pass on behavior you engage in while being method, simply because you were being method.
    The context of playing a character who makes little personalized weapons. Some actor sending another castmate what may not be all that different from prop from that movie might be seen as very different than some guy randomly sending bullets to someone in the office...so yeah, what you do, and what your doing is kind of relevant.

What stuff have you been in?

The context of playing a character who makes little personalized weapons. Some actor sending another castmate what may not be all that different from prop from that movie might be seen as very different than some guy randomly sending bullets to someone in the office...so yeah, what you do, and what your doing is kind of relevant.

Why are you speculating about how "movie prop"-like it might have been? The context for this scenario is Viola Davis' life, which she happens to be an expert on, and she said the bullets were worrisome, and made her nervous and scared. In what world is a random message board commenter qualified to question how appropriate her reaction was? Why bother coming up with hypothetical defenses of a guy you don't know -- a guy who sent other castmates used condoms?

Clearly they didn't have a working relationship where a gift of bullets would naturally read as completely appropriate and harmless. He probably didn't intend it as a threat of physical violence or anything, but it can still be disquieting when someone so drastically misreads (or worse, disregards) what someone might be comfortable with. Regardless of his intentions, clear communication between two people takes understanding from both parties; it's not everyone-but-Jared-Leto's responsibility to meet Jared Leto 75% percent of the way just because Jared Leto wants to 'go method' or act outrageous. And in the case of these 'gifts' I'd say that if Leto wants mutual understanding the burden of choosing wisely falls more to him since he apparently initiated it himself.

I highly doubt Leto was the only one who remembered what movie they were making, or how acting works, or what his previous interactions with the other actors were like. If his castmates were taking all this into account and still said the 'gifts' were creepy, what can we do but believe them?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Condoms, bullets, wasn't there a pig's head? Clearly he's method acting as a Joker with no class

What about carps or chemical weapons, come on Jared.

Incredible Member

Yeah, we're not playing this game, where I have to give you my resume in order to prove I'm qualified to call what Leto's doing creepy. Reach all you want, he has clearly overstepped his boundaries with most of his castmates and creeped them out, whether they were prop bullets or real ones.

BANNED

Yeah, we're not playing this game, where I have to give you my resume in order to prove I'm qualified to call what Leto's doing creepy. Reach all you want, he has clearly overstepped his boundaries with most of his castmates and creeped them out, whether they were prop bullets or real ones.
    That wasn't even kind of the game being played. The game was more like: That kind of interesting, what have you done?

I'm not even kind of reaching.

if you have a friend/relative that's a gun range hobbyist, fine.. but otherwise.. not a good look..