Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

how far back does Triton's relationship go with the Sub-Mariner? How familiar is he with Atlantean society?

Ultimate Member

It's interesting how little development I've seen on Triton and Karnak's relationship as siblings.

The Maximus / Black Bolt sibling rivalry is one for the ages, and Medusa and Crystal at least get some sister-time, but if you had not read their bios, you might think that Karnak and Gorgon were siblings, and that Triton was the odd one out, since Karnak seems to have had much more of a relationship with Gorgon than with his own brother, Triton.

I wonder if Karnak's gift to sense weakness plays into that. Being in the presence of someone with a glaring vulnerability, like Triton's dependence on water and his special suit, might be like a constant buzzing in Karnak's ears, alerting him to the exact places to strike to take out that suit, and causing him some sort of irritation as he can't 'turn it off' but is always annoyingly aware of his brother's vulnerabilities (and aware as well that he perhaps should feel guilty about how his nature is such that he is always unconsciously thinking of ways to cripple or kill the people around him, even if they are friends or family). If that's the case, then he might be similarly uncomfortable hanging around other people with established 'weaknesses,' like Cyclops with his visor or Rogue who wipes out anyone she accidentally touches Then again, he might feel *more* comfortable around those sorts of people, since he knows how to beat them, and be more on edge around people like Captain America, with no clear weak points to target.

In any event, more interaction between Karnak and Triton, or some sort of in-story explanation for why they don't hang out, could be interesting to explore.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 09-17-2018 at 08:55 AM.

BANNED

Sub-Mariner #3 Jul 1968
    "On a Clear Day You Can See... the Leviathan!" Guest-starring Triton
    Continuing from Sub-Mariner #2...
    The Plant Man unleashes his monster Leviathan on England.
    Triton and Namor escape but are bound together

and do their best to contain the Leviathan.

They destroy it and foil the Plant Man's scheme.

Written by Roy Thomas. Art by John Buscema and Frank Giacoia.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how far back does Triton's relationship go with the Sub-Mariner? How familiar is he with Atlantean society?
    Namor the Sub-Mariner Vol 1 45 looks to be the first time they met but maybe off an issue

I would have to dig deep but I believe he did serve Atlantis as I recall he has called Namor my my King once or twice still he was willing to take an exploding submarine for Namor.

BANNED

Wow. That's remarkable!