Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    OK, I've been thinking about what to salvage from the old forum, and we always used to get people coming onto the forum asking about hardcovers and omnibuses, or where to start. Perhaps with this new forum we could pin two threads to the top "FAQs: Library Editions and Omnibuses" and "FAQs: New to Hellboy. Where should I start?"
    True enough those questions would seem frequent, but what incentive would they be giving off really?

If the question comes down to whether books or editions would be 'worth it', shouldn't people best be to answer such for themselves?

Whereas the question 'where to start', concerning designed narrational and serialized reading material for any individual having an interest - with any installment or tale as being to hold up on its own already - what would there be to add to such?
    Aren't these comics all numbered and serialized and containing English or at least existing language, plus graphics, so people can read them, as to their own preference completely?

So my reasoning would be that any not answering or not catering to some questions immediately or at all, could actually be a graceful both as graceous thing to do moreso than not.

Quote Originally Posted by CBM View Post
    Yeah he's on the beach in Mexico so don't feel sorry for him
    I'm picturing him riding Batmobiles, with GDT sitting shotgun and wide-eyed, making confetti trails and deliberating on but steep popsicle folly with umbrella beverages ever at the ready...

Don't know why or how correct a notion that would be, but it's gotta be close.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-02-2014 at 05:36 AM. Reason: blame it on the English.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    True enough those questions would seem frequent, but what incentive would they be giving off really?

If the question comes down to whether books or editions would be 'worth it', shouldn't people best be to answer such for themselves?

Whereas the question 'where to start', concerning designed narrational and serialized reading material for any individual having an interest - with any installment or tale as being to hold up on its own already - what would there be to add to such?
    Aren't these comics all numbered and serialized and containing English or at least existing language, plus graphics, so people can read them, as to their own preference completely?

So my reasoning would be that any not answering or not catering to some questions immediately or at all, could actually be a graceful both as graceous thing to do moreso than not.
    This is why I think a thread is better way to answer these questions. It's simply a place for those discussions to happen and then people can draw their own conclusions, not a place for "the answer" (as if there is only one way to read the series). We can discuss the merits of various ways to read the series, and newcomers can read through the thread and decide for themselves what they consider to be important for their own reading experience. but for readers that know nothing at all about the series, including the fact that many of the stories are made to stand alone and can be read at any time, it's a valuable resource, which is why the question came up so frequently on the old forum.

As for hardcovers, I was thinking more of covering the question that comes up again and again... "When's the next one coming out?" The answer of course being "Eventually, but you'll have to be patient." But there's more than one facet to discuss about the library editions, including the "Are they worth it?" question (the answer being HELL YES). Remember, some people just think they are the trades repackaged in hardcovers. And discussions are a good way to answer these questions, because the people that come looking for answers don't just want facts, they're looking for people who have similar passions and interests to their own, and if that person says the hardcovers are worth it, they actually believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by middenway View Post
    This is why I think a thread is better way to answer these questions.
    Understood and agreed but we'd be talking stickied "FAQ" threads stuck to the top. That sends off a vibe.

Do you know of any author / creator / artist as primarily wanting to tackle the topic of how stuff should be regarded, or to what order or format most ideally? I really wouldn't. Not in advance or to much immediateness.

Because creators or authors their work would be best speaking for itself, with letting anyone interested to whatever degree as having to check things out individually. Like the journey or the experience would be the thing, individually and all that.

I'm not against any discussion or nitpicking fun or such whatsoever, but I respectfully and gracefully (civilly?) wish to convey how comics usually won't come as needing some special manual or set of instructions.

Like it would be all perfectly okay and doable for any "newbie" to try out or be to go see about a comic or title, without learning the secret handshake.
    Plus any preferences or personal notions toward orders or formats or whatnot wouldn't be out of the question, as based on experiences as acquired for oneself, is what I mean. Even regardless of what anyone might be having to say on things.

EDIT: for clarity lemme repeat I'd be down with one mighty reading order thread stickied, with yours or either yours and mr Scott's one as seeming tip-top. If only for representing the full of it all to date. With for the careful reader even representing continuities to the tightest.
    But 5 or 6 stickied threads, all concerning what 'newbs' might feel to be needing to know about stuff, would certainly not be having my personal preference.

Like for presentation in its initialness there should be enough balance and openmindedness? In order for keeping stuff diverse and enticing to all?
    As easily and unbotheredlike as the Hellverse books themselves would manage to?
    Just saying, as this being my mere two cents.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-03-2014 at 06:19 AM.

Understood and agreed but we'd be talking stickied "FAQ" threads stuck to the top. That sends off a vibe.
    The only reason I'd want them stickied at the top is because visitors to the board tend to create new threads for these questions over and over. When I was compiling the archive of threads dedicated to specific stories on the old forum, I found at least thirty individual threads asking about the hardcovers and countless threadless asking where to start. I'm hoping that having dedicated threads to these topics stickied at the top will stop so many of these propagating, and will save us having to repeat ourselves over and over again.

All-New Member

It does send off a vibe... of helpfulness. A lot of people I've gotten into the books have point-blank asked me for a good reading order since there are a number of different series involved, and it is intimidating for new readers. Having the information available for anyone who wants it is helpful, not presumptuous or forcing one's own opinions on anyone. I don't think it's a matter of "not letting the creators speak for themselves" as much as it is a matter of "showing new people all the books that are out there for them to check out." Because otherwise they might never find all of the different titles and stories all on their own!

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    It does send off a vibe... of helpfulness.
    I agree, we see a lot of the same questions pop up and having a FAQ on what to start reading HB, what to buy, etc. would be good for visitors.

In other news, this is noble_enough I just changed my username with the reset.
    Sad to see the loss of so many threads but I'm sure it will all work out
    Last edited by mscorley; 05-05-2014 at 10:53 AM.

I was really surprised when I came to a forum and there was nothing in it, but when I found out why this reboot happen, I understand the need to do it.

We need some FAQ right on top and a simple basic guide/reading order for new readers.

Can anyone think of any other FAQs threads we might need?

Quote Originally Posted by cantide View Post
    It does send off a vibe... of helpfulness. A lot of people I've gotten into the books have point-blank asked me for a good reading order since there are a number of different series involved, and it is intimidating for new readers. Having the information available for anyone who wants it is helpful, not presumptuous or forcing one's own opinions on anyone. I don't think it's a matter of "not letting the creators speak for themselves" as much as it is a matter of "showing new people all the books that are out there for them to check out." Because otherwise they might never find all of the different titles and stories all on their own!
    I do not aim to doubt that. I do not aim to be doubting anyone or anything. I repeat I have nothing against discussion or sharing info whatsoever.
    It's more that I'd want to allow myself to being most helpful or beneficial in even my helpfulness or stances come what may.
    Like I'd be willing to help but I think that basically comics and books themselves 'd be denoting their own continuities or chronology with leaving it up to readers how to read.
    Any books and any comics.
    Although I often hear comic readers feel or seem intimidated not merely by the many books but also by the existence of such things as the Companion or Reading Order lists.

Like I personally have been collecting each and every Mignolaverse title as soon as it was released mostly, from the beginning, when books were still few, but that wouldn't make me doubt newer readers at all, as clearly there'll be many readers later or not yet as complete as could be in their collections.
    And jumping onto titles with feeling it might not be the most opportune moment to be jumping on, or as wanting to first try and get a feel as by an incomplete purchase - I'd know that too as a reader, which wouldn't necessarily be giving me the sense of being damning or spoilant onto becoming to understand things?

I believe I read the Mole with expecting it differently than how it chronologized, as made apparent by it being to be dating itself particularly, but that didn't spoil any reading experience of it at all.
    I don't feel that chronology would be the only thing important onto understanding or interpreting continuities or stories myself.

That's my reasoning on just mostly wanting to help new fans onto just being to trust themselves and not feeling intimidated at all. I may try to offer folks new insights, but I hardly wish to make everybody aware of anything they might not see or become to overlook, since that just wouldn't feel doable. And it wouldn't be that the books couldn't be accomplishing to convey what they would on their own?

I'm not aiming to tell anyone how to be or feel, I'm merely explaining myself or my stance and reasoning, as that would seem appropriate in discussions here.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

That's kinda the reason why I didn't pre-empt any questions in the FAQs: For Newcomers thread. This way people will only get what they ask for. There's not a wall of text saying, "Which reading order is for you?"

I'd say you did well and the forum looks the better for it, Middenway. Thanks.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

...Laziness might also have been a factor. 6_6

Okay kids someone needs to help me out here...I have access until next Wednesday to the old board...I can't go sifting through your discussion here so I need for someone to give me a list of what you want me to pull from there...I want to help but if I have to figure this out on my own then it won't happen...if you want me to leave it as it is then I will...
    CBM

Amazing Member

I'll sift through it tonight and add what's important.
    But let us know what all of you want, this is your forum and your Hellboy family ,so let's continue the tradition of making this a fun place to be.