Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "Surgeon X," "Glitterbomb" & More Debut in Image Comics' September 2016 Solicitations

Plus, the arrival of "Hadrian's Wall," "Eclipse" and Rick Remender & Jerome Opeña & Matt Hollingsworth's "Seven to Eternity!"

Full article here.

Very very very excited for that WicDiv 1831 one-shot. Stephanie Hans!!!!!!!!!

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

I guess I'll give Glitterbomb a shot. The rest of the new titles don't seem to jump out at me.

Also, Wayward is back this month. After an improved, but still very flawed third arc, will the fourth arc finally turn this series around and show it's true potential... by taking its damn time to develop the characters and the plot?

Spectacular Member 100010959493281's Avatar

HARDPAN'S WALL looks interesting.

Still looking forward to MOTOR CRUSH and the PRINCE OF CATS reissue. And I'm kind of intrigued by PRIMA.

My likely list:

1. Glitterbomb #1
    2. The Fix #5
    3. Monstress #7
    4. The Beauty #11
    5. Birthright #19
    6. Black Science #24
    7. Chew #58
    8. Demonic #2
    9. Eden's Fall #2
    10. Horizon #3
    11. Invincible #131
    12. Jupiter's Legacy vol 2 #4
    13. Lazarus #25
    14. Manifest Destiny #23
    15. Nailbiter #25
    16. Outcast #21
    17. Saga #38
    18. Spread #6
    19. Symmetry #8
    20. Thief of Thieves #35
    21. The Walking Dead #158
    22. Wayward #16
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (work in progress):
    http://invincibleuniverse.wikia.com/..._Universe_Wiki

Color me disappointed with Image folding on price...several more series increased price to $3.99 and all new series debuting at $3.99. Worse are price increases mid-arc, which has become a trend. [Note: Dark Horse has done similar.] 55 titles published, 65% at $3.99 or more, that yields an average of $3.76 for 33 pages (pages not story). If it wasn't for 7 Skybound titles at $2.99, the yield would be an average of $3.87. The result is I'm now trade waiting >67% of interested titles (basically anything that's $3.99 w/o backmatter).

Is it just me or are fewer titles having any backmatter? Most of Remember's titles had some offerings but that's near entirely gone. Heck, many Image titles don't even have reader letters, just ads in the back.

Anyways, I don't mean for this to be negative, but rather introspective on an industry/publisher shift...one that's pushed me as a consumer to trades.

Image:
    - Pull: Black Monday Murders, Descender, Invisible Republic (5.1k w/ #9, price increase w/ #11), Kill or Be Killed, Lazarus (13.4k w/ #21, price increase w/ #22), Manifest Destiny, Nailbiter, Outcast, Paper Girls, Saga, Thief of Thieves, Walking Dead
    - Trades: Fade Out HC, Black Road, Discipline, Drifter (<4.7k w/ #10), Sons of the Devil (6.9k w/ #5, 4.6k w/ #6 new arc & price increase), Tokyo Ghost
    - Trade Wait: Glitterbomb, Hadrian's Wall, Seven To Eternity, Beauty (10.6k w/ #6, price increase w/ #7), Black Science (13.1k w/ #21, price increase w/ #22), Deadly Class, Demonic, Fix, Horizon (price increase w/ #3), Hunt, Jupiter's Legacy, Lake of Fire, Midnight of the Soul, Monstress, Ringside (<4.2k with #5), Sex (<4.6k w/ #27, price increase w/ #29), She Wolf
    - Skip Month: Bitch Planet, Ody-C (6.7k w/ #10), Shutter (<3.8k w/ #19)
    - Skip Month & Trade Wait: Autumnlands, Black Road, Discipline, Drifter, East of West (18.5k w/ #24, price increase w/ #27), Goddamned, Low, Sex Criminals, Sons of the Devil, They're Not Like Us (5.8k w/ #11)
    - Unknown Return & likely Trade Wait: Black Magick (hiatus until Apr 2017), Chrononauts & Wytches (both further delayed due to All-Star Batman?), Goners, Manhattan Projects (series dead?), Pretty Deadly, Velvet (hiatus until ?)

Btw, not sure how I passed on Deadly Class. I very much enjoy Remember's creator owned stuff, and I read issue #1 when it came out but it didn't grab me. Well, I just re-read #1 and I'll be grabbing the first few trades!

Other Publishers...

DH:
    - Pull: Black Hammer, Dept H, Harrow County (7.3k w/ #10)
    - Trade Wait: Briggs Land, Lady Killer (price increase w/ #2), Mae

DC:
    - Mail Subscribe (all but Batgirl are double ship): Batgirl, Batman, Detective Comics, Superman, Wonder Woman
    - Trades: Batman by Brubaker
    - Trade Wait: All-Star Batman, Justice League, Trinity, Clean Room (6.8k w/ #6), Frostbite

Marvel:
    - Trade: Darth Vader
    - Trade Wait: Daredevil, Star Wars, Force Awakens, Poe Dameron, Han Solo

Others:
    - Pull: Cinema Purgatorio, Bunker (finale!)
    - Trade Wait: Lucas Stand, SOA Redwood Original, Jeff Steinberg, Letter 44
    - Skip Month & Trade Wait: Life After

Southern Cross is back!! Now just waiting on Copperhead.... :-(

Southern Cross #7
    Descender #15
    Invincible #131
    Outcast #21
    Paper Girls #9
    Saga #38
    The Walking Dead #158
    The Walking Dead 2017 Wall Calendar (Getting a few of those for gifts)!

I also thrilled to see Southern Cross returning.

September looks like:

Surgeon X #1
    Monstress #7
    Southern Cross #7

I'll most likely be trade-waiting Demonic
    Pull List: The Black Hammer, Bitch Planet, Copperhead, Hellboy/BPRD, Monstress, Ms. Marvel, Southern Cross

Twitter: @JavasaurusRex

My buys.....

THE BEAUTY #11
    BIRTHRIGHT #19
    THE BLACK MONDAY MURDERS #2
    BLACK SCIENCE #24
    CHEW #58
    DEADLY CLASS #22
    THE FIX #5
    GLITTERBOMB #1
    HORIZON #3
    THE HUNT #3
    I HATE FAIRYLAND #9
    LAKE OF FIRE #2
    LAZARUS #25
    MANIFEST DESTINY #23
    MONSTRESS #7
    NAILBITER #25
    NO MERCY #10
    PAPER GIRLS #9
    SAGA #38
    SEVEN TO ETERNITY #1
    SPREAD #16
    SURGEON X #1
    THE WALKING DEAD #158
    WAYWARD #16
    THE WICKED + THE DIVINE 1831 #1

September will be my biggest Image month to date.
    Last edited by sven; 06-23-2016 at 12:29 PM.

Descender #15
    Lazarus #25
    Manifest Destiny #23

Need to cut back a little bit so I'm switching to trades for Deadly Class. Figure it's a good time to do so. And dropping Drifter.. not that it's out this month. I'm just not enjoying it anymore.

At the moment I have no plans of picking up any new books. Not that there aren't interesting options, I just need to cut back on comics in general.

So, just the **** I'm already buying.

Deadly Class
    Black Science
    The Black Money Murders
    Kill or Be Killed (I think, may trade wait)
    Outcast
    and The Walking Dead

I'll get that The Fade Out HC at some point, too.

All-New Member

Glad I waited for this, it's finally out:

THE FADE OUT DELUXE EDITION HC

A couple of new things to add. Hadrian's Wall makes it's debut almost a year or so from when it was originally solicited, and it's a mini-series it seems. Seven to Eternity makes it's debut and it looks beautiful! Southern Cross makes it's long awaited return (thanks to Twitter it made it easy to get updates on the book this year). Monstress comes back as well as Wayward!

Getting...

Birthright #19
    Black Monday Murders #2 (If I like #1)
    Black Science #24
    Descender #15
    Eclipse #1 (Intriguing enough to try)
    Eden's Fall #2
    Faster Than Light #10 (Really?! Final issue?! This seemed like a huge story in scope. They've been building up this big destructive species threat to Earth and everyone else and it's gonna end at 10?)
    Hadrian's Wall #1
    Horizon #3 (If I like #1)
    The Hunt #3 (If I like #1)
    Invisible Republic #11
    Kill Or Be Killed #2 (If I like #1)
    Lazarus #25
    Manifest Destiny #23
    Mechanism #3 (If I like #1)
    Monstress #7
    Outcast #21
    Postal #15
    Savage Dragon #218
    Seven To Eternity #1
    Southern Cross #7
    Spawn #267 (I've noticed Savage Dragon has been running late, and Eric Larsen isn't credited for this issue. Is he leaving Spawn? Too much of a work load to crank load two monthly books?)
    Wayward #16

On break/hiatus...

Autumnlands (Even though August's issue #14 got bumped to September)
    Black Magick
    Black Road
    Copperhead
    Cry Havoc
    Drifter
    Dying and the Dead (Ryan Bodenheim and Jonathan Hick gave a Twitter update. He's still drawing pages. When issues 4-7 are done, they're all getting released at the same time)
    Five Ghosts (Still holding out hope in the last 3 months of 2016 we'll get a return)
    Goddamned
    Injection
    Low
    Snowfall (Loved The Great Pacific but I'm really thinking of dropping the book. I'm not as impressed like I was with Great Pacific and I've got way too many Image books as it is)
    Trees (Still waiting on that #14. Currently bumped to July 20. Originally solicited 10/21/15!)
    Velvet (Any word yet if this will continue beyond #15 which is currently dated for July 20?)
    Wytches
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 06-23-2016 at 06:43 PM.

All-New Member

Spawn 267 - Yes Larsen confirmed he is off the book. Likely to start work on ANT

Five Ghosts - Just listened to a podcast with Barbiere, probably not until next year, at least.

Trees - Was very difficult for Elis to write, also around the time he was hospitalized which delayed it as well.

Velvet - In Brubaker's newsletter, he mentioned Velvet 15 is off to print and we be out July 20, is double-sized, and that all the delays on the book have been his fault. After 15 the books goes on hiatus, while he and Epting are doing another book. But it will return, and he said to look for more Velvet news soon (maybe TV?).

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Lantern View Post
    Spawn 267 - Yes Larsen confirmed he is off the book. Likely to start work on ANT

Five Ghosts - Just listened to a podcast with Barbiere, probably not until next year, at least.

Trees - Was very difficult for Elis to write, also around the time he was hospitalized which delayed it as well.

Velvet - In Brubaker's newsletter, he mentioned Velvet 15 is off to print and we be out July 20, is double-sized, and that all the delays on the book have been his fault. After 15 the books goes on hiatus, while he and Epting are doing another book. But it will return, and he said to look for more Velvet news soon (maybe TV?).
    Eric Larsen is doing a new book on that yet to debut Ant character?

Velvet's delays have been on Brubaker and not Steve Epting huh? Well, if that's true then I feel bad for coming down on Epting. Normally when a book has long delays it's usually the artist (it tends to take longer to draw a book than write). I hope then that if Epting can draw on a regular basis then I'll return when th book does. What is this new book the two of them are doing?

Did Ellis give any indication that the book return after #14? The James Bond books have been coming out now for 7 issues on time and the delays on Karnak were on the artist Gerardo Zaffino. I hope Trees comes back for one last arc because it seems like that's what it would take to finish the story.

Ugh! 2017 for Five Ghosts? I really hope it's worth the wait and that they come back for an extended period of time.
    Last edited by Mjolnir; 06-23-2016 at 11:14 PM.