Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Retired

Speaking of Super-Hip, he used the "Love Machine" to set up the wedding of several unlikely couples, in THE ADVENTURES OF BOB HOPE 103 (Infantino art).

Tie between Lightning Lad/Saturn Girl and Donna Troy/Terry Long for me.

Donna's wedding would be the clear #1 if I had liked Terry better.

Interesting that so few have commented on the weddings of Barry/Iris and Aquaman/Mera. Those two occurred SO early in the silver age that I think most of us just knew them as already married.

WORST wedding ever ever ever: Nightwing and Starfire at the end of the NTT run.

Retired

Barry and Iris got married before I really got into any of the DC super-heroes, but their marriage came near the end of the Broome/Infantino years. And those two were, in my opinion, the definitive creators for Barry Allen. So it's odd that they never did much with the marriage. Given that they also handled many of the classic Dibny adventures, I imagine they could have done a lot with Barry and Iris as a husband and wife team.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Wally and Linda get my vote.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Wally and Linda get my vote.
    Mike Grell always drew womens' noses looking like pig snouts.

Lois and Clark.

Honorable Mention:
    Jonah Hex and Mei Ling, Aquaman and Mera, Ralph and Sue Dibny
    Last edited by Colt Cape; 11-07-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    DC, please give Jonah Hex a new solo.

Tie between Lightning Lad/Saturn Girl and Donna Troy/Terry Long for me.

Donna's wedding would be the clear #1 if I had liked Terry better.
    I'm not a particular Terry fan, but I do think he gets too much hatred sometimes. What happened in the end was out of nowhere and not consistent his prior characterization at all. But Donna needed a crappy soft reboot, and her family had to go, and that's how they did it. Likewise, on this site there was an article (and I think I've seen it elsewhere) that Donna was his student. She was not (unless it was retconned in), and she never attended college (again, unless it happened in a retcon I don't know about).

I liked Donna and Terry's wedding issue, for the most part (one line of dialog by Hippolyta was a problem). Loved that Gar planned it and it went well - would have hated for him to fail.

Never read LL and SG, but heard they had a retcon involving Proty that is creepy and horrifying sounding to me.

I think the only other DC wedding issue I actually read was Barry and Iris.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But . . . which version of Lois and Clark?

I'm partial to

Action Comics #484 (June 1978)

That's my favorite, FWIW.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    . . . Never read LL and SG, but heard they had a retcon involving Proty that is creepy and horrifying sounding to me . . .
    For what it's worth, it tied in with a Legion of Super-Heroes story from back in 1963.

The story began in Adventure Comics #304 when Lightning Lad is killed. Four issues later, it appeared that Lightning Lad was back among the living, but it turned out to be his sister impersonating him. In issue #312, the Legion finds a way to restore Lightning Lad to life, but it involves somebody holding a metal rod in a lightning storm so that when it's struck by lightning, the life force of the person holding the rod will be transferred into the person who was previously dead. (Yeah, the person who loses their life force in the transfer will then be dead, but that's a minor thing in 1960s future-logic).

When they do the ceremony, it appears that Saturn Girl, who had been holding a trick metal rod designed to attract the lightning as opposed to the other rods, had given her life to revive Lightning Lad. But in yet another twist, it turned out that Chameleon Boy's pet/companion Proty had taken the place of Saturn Girl, so it was Proty's life force that was sacrificed to revive Lightning Lad.

so it was Proty's life force that was sacrificed to revive Lightning Lad.
    Okay. I had read that it was retconned so only LL's body was revived and it was actually Proty's soul (not just life force, but actual self). In the wiki. Never read the story, so may have misunderstood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Okay. I had read that it was retconned so only LL's body was revived and it was actually Proty's soul (not just life force, but actual self). In the wiki. Never read the story, so may have misunderstood.
    Well, I used the term "life force" because I couldn't remember what exactly they called it back then.
    I read the story (in a copy my older sister had) back when it was reprinted in the early 1970s, so that would be about 45+ years ago?

And I think the retcon was that more of Proty was transferred into Lightning Lad by the lightning strike than whatever spark of life was implied back in the 1960s.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 06-20-2019 at 05:39 PM.

Retired

The wedding of Ralph Dibny and Sue Dearbon was the greatest, because all we saw was a newspaper item, so we had to imagine what it was like. What you imagine is always better. It's like radio--radio was so much better, because there was no limit to what your mind could conjure.

edit: My oops! I thought this was a new thread--I see that I actually posted a lot on this old thread--and this answer now contradicts what I said before. I guess I'm at odds with myself.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 06-20-2019 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The wedding of Ralph Dibny and Sue Dearbon was the greatest, because all we saw was a newspaper item, so we had to imagine what it was like. What you imagine is always better. It's like radio--radio was so much better, because there was no limit to what your mind could conjure.

edit: My oops! I thought this was a new thread--I see that I actually posted a lot on this old thread--and this answer now contradicts what I said before. I guess I'm at odds with myself.
    Hey, it's DC. They do that to you.

Amazing Member

Definitely Donna Troy/Terry Long. That whole issue was pretty much a love letter to the Titans history too and brought back so many previous Titans, it was really nice to see. They even brought back the Joker's Daughter lmao. I also didn't find Terry that annoying then - yeah later on he was definitely different, but I like their relationship and with so many other superhero couples that married where it's usually the man that is a superhero while the woman was just a normal person, it was nice to see that in reverse.

Retired

Donna could only have been twenty at the time of the wedding, she had been a teen. And Terry was a college professor--so generously he might have been twenty-nine, but more likely in his mid to late thirties. He certainly wasn't drawn to look young. So it came across as creepy that this lech was marrying the baby-sitter.