Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    An alternate version of OMD as presented by Nick Perks:

Huh...damn.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    An alternate version of OMD as presented by Nick Perks:

Honestly, if Marvel ever went with that route, then maybe...just maybe OMD wouldn't be as hated as it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Honestly, if Marvel ever went with that route, then maybe...just maybe OMD wouldn't be as hated as it is now.
    Nah, it would still be hated cause of Mephisto. Why use a character that has never and will never interact with Spider-Man again?

But this actually reminds me of something that made me curious with OMD.
    When Peter was on that walk and ran into 3 alternate realties before Mephisto offered the deal, did Mary Jane get the same treatment? I was curious whether or not Mephisto showed MJ alternative realties as well, or just simply offered her the deal right away.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    Nah, it would still be hated cause of Mephisto. Why use a character that has never and will never interact with Spider-Man again?

But this actually reminds me of something that made me curious with OMD.
    When Peter was on that walk and ran into 3 alternate realties before Mephisto offered the deal, did Mary Jane get the same treatment? I was curious whether or not Mephisto showed MJ alternative realties as well, or just simply offered her the deal right away.
    You're giving it way more thought than the creators did.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    You maybe right, but it would make the sacrifice all the more touching in a way. I mean for MJ to be given a chance to save Gwen from her death via magic and would thereby almost negate the conversation with Meohisto in a way.

I mean the consequences for a selfless act would be interesting to see.

Yeah that would have made for a much better scene. A pretty good one at that even.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    I don't know about that. If we buy into the conceit that had Gwen survived, Peter and MJ would have never hooked up, then the outcome of this version is a completely different continuity (moreso than Marvel's current "things sort of happened the same, except where they didn't" half-arsed explanation). And we end up with a Peter and MJ who never even dated and Gwen back from the dead (thus erasing ASM #121-122). Not to mention if the whole point of the story was to create a single Spider-Man, Peter would presumably have had to to have split from Gwen at some point before BND kicked off.

This version could have achieved something heretofore considered impossible and made OMD even more despised than it already is.
    Last edited by Vworp Vworp; 06-27-2014 at 07:04 AM.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I think this is perfectly in character for MJ. I believe MJ would sacrifice her happiness for someone she loved, and this is exactly what she did in OMD (for May).

I don't think MJ would lose all chance with Peter if Gwen were alive, though, unless it were part of the spell. It may not even have taken longer to get there. Especially if this didn't retcon Sins Past.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    I don't know about that. If we buy into the conceit that had Gwen survived, Peter and MJ would have never hooked up, then the outcome of this version is a completely different continuity (moreso than Marvel's current "things sort of happened the same, except where they didn't" half-arsed explanation). And we end up with a Peter and MJ who never even dated and Gwen back from the dead (thus erasing ASM #121-122). Not to mention if the whole point of the story was to create a single Spider-Man, Peter would presumably have had to to have split from Gwen at some point before BND kicked off.

This version could have achieved something heretofore considered impossible and made OMD even more despised than it already is.
    True, it would have been a bit complicated at first, but that's what mini-series are for.

I mean working along side this newly crafted version of Post-OMD, it would explain to the reader what happen in a world where Gwen survived that fateful battle, with a much different outcome than in the original What If that posted that question...

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Saving Gwen from the fall doesn't have to result in her staying with Peter or staying alive in modern times. There's plenty of ways to play that out, including having Mephisto pretend to be upset in order to properly troll.

I think if JMS was allowed to play out his Back in Black story smoothly, and then handled the Mephisto business as well as Perks, it might have still sucked but likely wouldn't have been as painful. As it stands OMD is the worst comic story I have ever read.

BANNED

Doesn't Mephisto still win, though? If Mary Jane goes back to save Gwen with the knowledge that doing so would negate Peter getting into a relationship with Mary Jane, then they wouldn't have gotten married when they did unless something else happens that gets them together. The whole point of the story is that Mephisto wanted to break those two up. Or does he lose this time because the whole point of the deal was that they surrendered the concept of the marriage to Mephisto, and if Mary Jane were to do this, then that concept would be nullified, and thus there would be nothing to offer to Mephisto?

Nahhh, rather have no OMD at all. I don't think Gwen making a comeback would have been interesting.

All-New Member

This is a better version of OMD...

_____

OMD never happened

There, I fixed it

BANNED

I liked OMD, so not sure this would have been a good way to go. As a separate story, sure. You got MJ going back and saving Gwen, but maybe her interference causes a domino effect that ultimately leads to Gwen meeting her fate. 'Cause, really, there would've been no point if Peter and Gwen are just gonna end up married. It would have changed more continuity than they expected to in the long run.

Still, coulda been a cool one-shot story.