Garry

Default New to comics - Green Lantern, Batman

Hello,

I am new to comics at all. I am interesting in Green Lantern and Batman. But i would like to tell me, from where i can start. '

Thanks in advance.

The main Batman title is...Batman. You can start it either from #21 with the beginning of Zero Year, or August's #34 once Zero Year has concluded.
    There was also recently a new team of Detective Comics. I can't say I'm personally a fan of it, but it's not awful. That started with #30 (I think?)

For Green Lantern, it's currently in the throws of a crossover with Green Lantern Corps, but to be honest they've been so intertwined since #21 anyway, which is a good starting point. For something more recent you can start at #25 post-Lights Out or August's #34 post-Uprising.

With Green Lantern, it's worth noting that the two main titles are probably the worst. New Guardians and Red Lanterns reign supreme (again, you can pick them up at #21, or at #25 post-Lights Out), and Sinestro is pretty good too (only 3 issues in, so start at #1)

There's also an eight-year opus that started with Rebirth, but that's going back a huge amount. Let me know if you're interested in that and then I'll give you some more info.

forging evil plans victorxd1999's Avatar

For Batman you can read Batman from #1, #21 or #34. As PyroSikTh said Detective comics has a new creative team but unlike him I love it very much. There's also Batman Eternal which is a weekly comic (a new installment every week). For Green lantern it depends in which Green lantern you're interested. If you like Guy Gardner go for Red lanterns(from #21 or #25), if you like Kyle Rayner go for Green lantern New guardians (from #21 or #25), if you like John Stewart go for Green lantern corps and if you like Hal Jordan go for Green lantern (and if you like Sinestro go for Sinestro).
    "You don't ever quit. Not even to your last drop of blood. You got folks relyin' on you then you just can't afford to." Sean Noonan-Hitman #47

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

It's pretty simple. For Batman, go Batman: Court of Owls. For Green Lantern: either Green Lantern: Rebirth, where I started with the series, or Green Lantern: Secret Origin, for people unfamiliar with the character. Both should be easily available from Amazon or Barnes and Noble.
    Cyclops was right

BANNED

Man, you picked the two books that are still pulling their decades-old continuity along. You should probably start with something that rebooted its history in 2011, like Green Arrow or Superman?

Actually, just start with Justice League. It covers most of what you want.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Above all, you should not start will New 52 Justice League. The first few stories are some of the few bad thing Geoff Johns has every written. If you want Justice League, go back and buy JLA vol 1. It's out of continuity, but still much better.
    Cyclops was right

As other have said you picked the two characters with the most history in the nu52. But all is not lost. If you have the time and money start Batman back at Morrison run pre-nu52 and for GL start with Rebirth. That is what I'm doing after starting back up a couple months ago. Honestly I wish I would have just started at the current issue and back-filled when time permitted. As it stands now I've got a pile of current issue GL and Batman stuff to read when I catch up, which will take another month or so. And from what I gather, Batman is solid, 'Tec and Batman and ___ are decent. As for GL, Red Lanterns and New Guardians are the better of the GL books at the moment.

Actually that is what I did for Flash. I just started at issue 30 and I haven't had to many wtf is going on moments. Meanwhile I started reading from #161 of Vol 2 where I left off as time permits.
    Last edited by hsalf; 06-27-2014 at 01:22 PM.

Green Lantern I don't know much about but If I was going to start reading I would choose secret origins.

Batman Year one. It is Batman's origin and even though something has change it still show who he is as a character. It is the one that is easiest to get (only the first part of the zero years has been released asa trade). This list can give you further ideas. http://community.comicbookresources....-Recent-Events

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    Man, you picked the two books that are still pulling their decades-old continuity along. You should probably start with something that rebooted its history in 2011, like Green Arrow or Superman?

Actually, just start with Justice League. It covers most of what you want.
    facepalm-photo.jpg