Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The Official BETTY BRANT Appreciation Thread!

I noticed that we don't have a thread for another (And one of the first) prominent women in the Spider-Man mythos, Ms. Elizabeth "Betty" Brant Leeds!!!

In light of the recent Elizabeth Banks Spider-Man gossip right now, I was reminded of this awesome character and how underrated she is. I am unsure of where she is right now in the main reality, but she has a supporting role in the Spider-Gwen series as one of the Mary Jane's.

Where would you like to see Betty in this day and age? Should she stay strictly as a ordinary human supporting character or should she take on a unique superhero/anti-hero mantle? Also everyone can agree that it is long overdue for her and Peter to officially be in a relationship. She's always been the sexy cougar in his life.

Emma Frost, Rogue, Felicia Hardy, Helena Bertinelli, Allison Blaire, Barbara Gordon, Monica Rambeau, Carol Danvers, Illyana Rasputin, Ororo Munroe, Harleen Quinzel, Lorna Dane, Irene Adler, Kate Kane, Rachel Grey Summers, Jean Grey, Diana Prince, Barbara Ann Minerva, Donna Troy, Jennifer Walters, Gwen Stacy, Wanda Maximoff = PERFECTION!

Betty for next Spider-film bae
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Oh Betty. Of all of Peter's supporting cast members, you've had the worst life.

Your terrible brother started things off - thanks to him, your mom ended up in a coma, you had to quit school to work for J. Jonah Jameson, and then he got murdered in front of you, which started the ball rolling on ending your relationship with Peter Parker.

But that's okay, because you ended up marrying Ned Leeds. Good old reliable Ned Leeds. Sure, you were engaged forever, and then your wedding was attacked by crummy super villain Mirage, but once you got married, things would be okay, right? Well, no, because Ned was always busy, so you ended up cheating on him first with Peter Parker, and then Flash Thompson. Meanwhile, Ned was off getting brainwashed by Roderick Kingsley into playing Hobgoblin, which didn't help your marriage much, either. And then he got his throat cut in Berlin, leaving you widowed and believing that your husband was secretly a criminal mastermind for years.

It's totally understandable if that made you go a little crazy. So sure, you joined an evil cult. But then you went back to the Bugle, and you became a reporter, and things were actually going okay for a while! Except for that time when you owned a bunch of guns and had to fight FACADE. But still, for you, that's not bad. But then you started things up again with Flash, and it went about as well as a relationship with a burgeoning alcoholic with severe unresolved daddy issues could be expected to go. And that was mostly pretty good, for you! Until he ended up in a coma. And then he lost his legs. And then he secretly became Venom. And then your brother turned out to be both not-dead and also super evil, and tried to kill Flash and get all Flowers in the Attic with you. So yeah, Flash killed him. That was pretty much it for Flash and you.

But hey, you've still got your career. You even stayed at the Bugle when a whole bunch of other people quit, thanks to Dexter Bennett, who managed to be a worse boss than J. Jonah Jameson. Too bad that made everyone who left hate you. In fact, when you finally got a spotlight issue of Amazing Spider-Man, it was all about how all your friends hate you except for Peter - who, despite being a professional flake, is easily your most constant friend and confidant.

So keep reaching for that rainbow, Betts. At least Elizabeth Banks is awesome.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob London View Post
    Oh Betty. Of all of Peter's supporting cast members, you've had the worst life.

Your terrible brother started things off - thanks to him, your mom ended up in a coma, you had to quit school to work for J. Jonah Jameson, and then he got murdered in front of you, which started the ball rolling on ending your relationship with Peter Parker.

But that's okay, because you ended up marrying Ned Leeds. Good old reliable Ned Leeds. Sure, you were engaged forever, and then your wedding was attacked by crummy super villain Mirage, but once you got married, things would be okay, right? Well, no, because Ned was always busy, so you ended up cheating on him first with Peter Parker, and then Flash Thompson. Meanwhile, Ned was off getting brainwashed by Roderick Kingsley into playing Hobgoblin, which didn't help your marriage much, either. And then he got his throat cut in Berlin, leaving you widowed and believing that your husband was secretly a criminal mastermind for years.

It's totally understandable if that made you go a little crazy. So sure, you joined an evil cult. But then you went back to the Bugle, and you became a reporter, and things were actually going okay for a while! Except for that time when you owned a bunch of guns and had to fight FACADE. But still, for you, that's not bad. But then you started things up again with Flash, and it went about as well as a relationship with a burgeoning alcoholic with severe unresolved daddy issues could be expected to go. And that was mostly pretty good, for you! Until he ended up in a coma. And then he lost his legs. And then he secretly became Venom. And then your brother turned out to be both not-dead and also super evil, and tried to kill Flash and get all Flowers in the Attic with you. So yeah, Flash killed him. That was pretty much it for Flash and you.

But hey, you've still got your career. You even stayed at the Bugle when a whole bunch of other people quit, thanks to Dexter Bennett, who managed to be a worse boss than J. Jonah Jameson. Too bad that made everyone who left hate you. In fact, when you finally got a spotlight issue of Amazing Spider-Man, it was all about how all your friends hate you except for Peter - who, despite being a professional flake, is easily your most constant friend and confidant.

So keep reaching for that rainbow, Betts. At least Elizabeth Banks is awesome.
    Thanks for the write-up on Betty and her severely tumultuous life. And yes, Elizabeth Banks is awesome. Looking forward to her as Rita Repulsa in the 2017 Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers movie.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

Happy Birthday Christopher J. Priest!!!

In Spider-Man vs. Wolverine #1, writer Jim Owsley now known as Christopher J. Priest decided to do a story that was based on Spider-Man being completely out of his element, not only in terms of being outside of the United State in a country where he doesn’t speak the language, but stuck in a deadly game of espionage. Peter Parker and Ned Leeds are sent to Germany by J. Jonah Jameson to investigate a bad guy named Charlemagne. Wolverine shows up and tells Peter to back off. We soon see why...
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/happy_55th_birthday_christopher_priest/

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    In Spider-Man vs. Wolverine #1, writer Jim Owsley now known as Christopher J. Priest decided to do a story that was based on Spider-Man being completely out of his element, not only in terms of being outside of the United State in a country where he doesn’t speak the language, but stuck in a deadly game of espionage. Peter Parker and Ned Leeds are sent to Germany by J. Jonah Jameson to investigate a bad guy named Charlemagne. Wolverine shows up and tells Peter to back off. We soon see why...
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php/happy_55th_birthday_christopher_priest/
    Man, I miss when Spider-Man comics were like this. Very simple but engaging.

BANNED

Happy Birthday Alex Saviuk!!!

Web Of Spiderman Spider-Man issue #116, September 1994.
    Alex Saviuk drawn page featuring a machine gun wielding Betty Brant and villain F.A.C.A.D.E.
    http://comicvine.gamespot.com/alex-saviuk/4040-7955/

That looks more like Web of Spider-Man #91, not #116. Great artwork, though, and yeah, Betty in leather and with a big gun . . . definitely the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That looks more like Web of Spider-Man #91, not #116. Great artwork, though, and yeah, Betty in leather and with a big gun . . . definitely the 90s.
    The cover is from Web 91 but the pages are from 116
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    The cover is from Web 91 but the pages are from 116
    Ok, then. Everything else still stands, though.

Astonishing Member

Betty Brant was the best alternate to Mary Jane as Peter's love interest once again.

BANNED

Talking Happy Birthday Sturdy Steve Ditko!!!

Stan Lee provides the motivation for the break up between Peter Parker and Betty Brant at the same time that he opens narrative possibilities with relationships Parker will have with Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane Watson. The Amazing Spider-Man #33 February 1966. Art by Steve Ditko!
    https://dirtyriver.tumblr.com/post/1...ay-steve-ditko
    http://www.comicsreporter.com/index....y_steve_ditko/

This thread could use the presence of one Betty Brant hater to express his hatred to the first gal to appear in cartoons.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Well this is a appreciation thread so just love should be found here. Unless you hope to have a hater so the lovers can come bring support and keep this thread active.

That said I want to post a big appreciation to a Betty. Now in other appreciation threads various universes versions of a character can be found and here in the Betty Brant I want to post my love to a particular Betty who has caught my attention and love. Earth-65 Betty Brant.
    Many times in various earths shown usually a character is rarely changed from the 616 version but once in a while a writer will make use of the word "alternate". This case Betty Brant of Earth-65 who is not like almost any other Betty that i know of. I love Spider-Gwen and her series and love seeing the cast of characters introduced to me of that world and early on Betty became a character I very much liked. However it went into full love and she truly grabbed my attention and her characterization just after I read the Halloween issue that came out recently for Spider-Gwen. Having a cat named "Murderface", rocking a sort of 'day of the dead' type costume of Ghost Rider and not being scared of the 'zombies' but in fact smashed them up while still being able to text to that world's Falcon of her fun experience, and terrifying Mysterio, and saving the day she stood out and had a personally that got my attention both to how wild and crazy she is and how different she was from any other version. Can't wait to see what in the comics will future Earth-65 Betty scenes and events she will have and further antics and cast interactions.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    A lot of people think that story (the Facade story) is one of the worst Spidey stories.

But here is an interesting question, was brining Bennett Brant back as a psychopathic super villain with a twisted obession with his sister a good or bad idea?