Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Utopia Now! Squadron Supreme Appreciation

If one of these already exists, forgive me. but I feel like there needs to be a place to discuss Marvel's answer to the Justice League and all incarnations of the Squadron. so, if you have anything to say about the originals, the MAX team, the Squadron Sinister, the Utopian program, Namor's head, Hyperion's solo, Nighthawk's solo, or the latest grouping, go for it!

such a handsome grouping. Pacheco was really earning that money!

yeah, I know; Land! but it was a group shot.

I'll start if off with some general questions for anyone to answer.

1. Which version of the Squadron is your favorite (Original, MAX version, Sinister, current)?

2. Whose your favorite member of the Squadron (you can name more than 1)?

3. What's your opinion on them beheading Namor; good thing, crossing the line, unrealistic?

4. Whose your favorite Squadron adversary (Emil Burbank, Imus Champion, Rama Tut, Nth Man, etc)?

5. Who would you like to see the Squadron battle?

6. Do you have a favorite SS story? What is it?

7. Are you reading either of the solo books (Hyperion or Nighthawk)?

8. Is there another member of the Squadron who "deserves" a solo (mini or ongoing)?

9. What's your opinion on the Utopia Program/should it exist in the Marvel Universe-proper?

10. Ketchup on a hot dog; evil or just disgusting?
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 06-24-2016 at 02:11 PM.

I've seen hide nor hair of them in this new marvel now stuff. if they are on the way out, there's no harm in me answering my own questions.

1. Which version of the Squadron is your favorite (Original, MAX version, Sinister, current)?

my preference was the MAX title. it made the characters seem a little more dangerous. but Gruenwald's stuff was very well-written (I just prefer the visuals of the MAX characters).

2. Whose your favorite member of the Squadron (you can name more than 1)?

Supreme Power Kyle Richmond/Raymond Kane (easy choice)

3. What's your opinion on them beheading Namor; good thing, crossing the line, unrealistic?

doesn't bother me because I knew that it wouldn't stick. they are a new and risky concept. bold moves were necessary.

4. Whose your favorite Squadron adversary (Emil Burbank, Imus Champion, Rama Tut, Nth Man, etc)?

I've grown to like Imus Champion. he's a cool character. it's rare that you see a villain who is motivated by having to overcome a handicap. I also respect his skill. he's like an evil + physically larger Bruce Wayne.

5. Who would you like to see the Squadron battle?

The Ultimates would be interesting, if one-sided. I thought that they had arranged the teams to fight; with Nighthawk and T'challa being seen (if not always accurately) as Batman analogues/Hyperion and Blue Marvel being Superman analogues.

6. Do you have a favorite SS story? What is it?

I'd call the first run of MAX Supreme Power one very good dark origin tale. I could easily see it as a Netflix series.

7. Are you reading either of the solo books (Hyperion or Nighthawk)?

I'm reading and enjoying both. I'm a sucker for carnival sideshows. so the new additions to Hyperion's rogues gallery are very interesting to me. and I'm always onboard for a Nightshade appearance.

8. Is there another member of the Squadron who "deserves" a solo (mini or ongoing)?

Warrior Woman/Zarda (the real one - not the evil alternate version) is who I'd pick. Marvel kind of lacks a wonder woman. and I find Zarda more interesting than Thundra. if Blur were the Supreme Power version, my answer would be different. he was refreshingly good-natured for a speedster. I'd liken him to CW's Flash. I think he could have appealed to readers more interested in classic marvel characters as opposed to anti-hero types.

9. What's your opinion on the Utopia Program/should it exist in the Marvel Universe-proper?

it was a fun enough concept when it was used in Civil War. but it's not something that could last very long.

10. Ketchup on a hot dog; evil or just disgusting?

both. gross.

sooo, how about that Zarda? pretty impressive, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I hope the original Power Princess comes into the SS.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Yep, I'm glad that
    spoilers:
    the original Power Princess is still alive, albeit as the last survivor of her Earth.
    end of spoilers
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    I hope the original Power Princess comes into the SS.
    she really has potential to turn the team around, imo. Hyperion is already second guessing his own actions. I'm not sure what that would mean for Nighthawk, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Yep, I'm glad that
    spoilers:
    the original Power Princess is still alive, albeit as the last survivor of her Earth.
    end of spoilers
    she did some real batman-esque stuff, this issue. I was impressed at how resourceful she proved herself, to be. can't wait for her to get facetime with the doppelganger.

1. Tough question. As brillaint as I thought JMS's book was, I think Gruenwald will always have a top spot for me.

2. Favorite member is probably Nighthawk.

3. I think killing Namor, though wrong, was understandable. What they did with Atlantis is another matter entirely.

4. Favorite Squadron Adversary (not counting the Avengers, who are probably the most frequent) is probably the Redeemers. I was definately rooting for them to beat the Squadron at the end of Gruenwalds epic.

5. I'd like to see the Squadron battle the Ultimates. I think both teams match up pretty well.

6. Fave story was Gruenwalds 12 issue SS story. IMO it belongs right up there with Kingdom Come and Watchmen.

7. I'm not reading the solo books presently. I might catch them later.

8. At this point I don't think another SS member needs a solo. If one were to get one, I guess I'd say Princess Power.

9. Utipia program is unethical IMO. It goes too far. But as Nighthawk argued, beyong ethics it's too dangerous because there's no gurantee ethical people will operate it.

10. I'm okay with Ketchup on a dog, though I can't say it necessarily improves it. I think a dog tastes just as good plain.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    1. Tough question. As brillaint as I thought JMS's book was, I think Gruenwald will always have a top spot for me.
    it reads well in trade.

3. I think killing Namor, though wrong, was understandable. What they did with Atlantis is another matter entirely.
    it was overkill. but Spectrum's rage was genuine. and I don't think that they could have gotten away with just giving Namor a beating. he's a proud individual. and the Atlanteans, in general, are prone to retaliation. they (members of Atlantis) have attacked the surface world with impugnity in the past. now they have a reason to think it through. Namor was their superman or, if you prefer, Doc Manhattan.

4. Favorite Squadron Adversary (not counting the Avengers, who are probably the most frequent) is probably the Redeemers. I was definately rooting for them to beat the Squadron at the end of Gruenwalds epic.
    Nighthawk's group of infiltrators? I felt like some of them weren't fleshed out enough but had cool powers. I wish that they had marvel counterparts (assembled by 616 Kyle Richmond). I'm curious how they would be re-envisioned. now that I think about it, Thermite has appeared as part of a villain merc group, in the 616. I have no idea when he made the trip.

5. I'd like to see the Squadron battle the Ultimates. I think both teams match up pretty well.
    I had to think for a second. they did face the Ultimates/Ultimate Avengers. the Ultimates have the advantage; depending on who has the advantage of prep time. the squadron lack the kind of science acumen that the Ultimates have. but they do have significant tactical skill; enough to blindside someone as experienced as Quicksilver.

6. Fave story was Gruenwalds 12 issue SS story. IMO it belongs right up there with Kingdom Come and Watchmen.
    it came well recommended

8. At this point I don't think another SS member needs a solo.
    fair enough. I've only now "met" her but Power Princess (the non-evil one) has real potential. she's more complicated that I gave her credit for being. she might be a little more sympathetic than the other Squadron members since she didn't take part in Namor's assassination.
    9. Utipia program is unethical IMO. It goes too far. But as Nighthawk argued, beyong ethics it's too dangerous because there's no gurantee ethical people will operate it.
    agreed

10. I'm okay with Ketchup on a dog, though I can't say it necessarily improves it. I think a dog tastes just as good plain.
    I would put ketchup on a corndog. but I don't eat corndogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Yep, I'm glad that
    spoilers:
    end of spoilers
    agreed. though i'm not crazy about her new look.

Quote Originally Posted by Moriarty View Post
    agreed. though i'm not crazy about her new look.
    i doubt that she's keeping it. she's trying to blend in with her environment, at the moment. when she takes her mantle back, I'm sure that she'll get a more classic look. she's had a number of looks. i can't really decide on which one i like best.

hmmm

no spoiler review of today's new issue.

they need to get to the point, already. I'm the target audience and I'm getting bored with the decompression. you might have seen Blue Marvel in the previews. but it was mainly lead up to the discovery of Carol's side having a precog. that would be interesting, if they had all found out together and planned; accordingly. but i'm not even sure that this qualifies as a team book anymore. if Nighthawk departs or is kicked out, I probably won't continue reading. I hope that someone liked the story. the concept is decent. and the team needs fans.