Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Jim Lee Reflects on Dark Knight's Legacy, Teases New Batman Gig

The DC Comics co-publisher spoke with CBR News about his time on Batman, credit for Bill Finger and a Dark Knight return after "Superman Unchained."

Full article here.

Astonishing Member

New Batman gig? Are we seriously supposed to expect Lee to do another book? Wonder if this will be ASBAR.
    Last edited by Kid A; 06-27-2014 at 08:05 AM.

Amazing Member

AS:BaR actually has legit fans? It's not even a finished work! If you are a fan of Jim Lee's art then I guess it has that going for it...

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm hoping he's designing some more Batman Converse, as I really don't like his art (technically excellent, though it may be) and really don't want to have him back on a Batman book.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    I'm hoping he's designing some more Batman Converse, as I really don't like his art (technically excellent, though it may be) and really don't want to have him back on a Batman book.
    It's not like he'll come up behind you with a pistol and make you buy it. Or read it.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Quote Originally Posted by JokersNuts View Post
    AS:BaR actually has legit fans? It's not even a finished work! If you are a fan of Jim Lee's art then I guess it has that going for it...
    Yeah, I love it, even though it's not done and probably never will be.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    It's not like he'll come up behind you with a pistol and make you buy it. Or read it.
    Depends on the writer. It may be someone I really like and want to check out their interpretation. Even so, I try to read all Batman books as he's the character I most enjoy in comics.

Amazing Member

Although no one ever sees the numbers, digital says have got to be a cash cow for DC and Marvel. And in today's hand held device world, there's no better way to distribute. But lack of awareness is due to two things in the last 25 years. Restricting the product to direct market sales and a price point that exceeds the rate of inflation on any comparable form or entertainment. As a kid, or even in college, comic book racks were EVERYWHERE: grocery stores, box department stores, book stores, drug stores, even at the barber shop... Any place there were magazines. The direct market got rid of all that and in the process shifted the market to existing fans versus the general public. And put comics in places that required a specific trip to a specific destination. And then there's the price point. They were affordable for 10 year olds. Today, Marvel and DC are charging $4 per issue. Compare that to other forms of digital entertainment available on hand held devices right now. A new song is $1.50. You can rent a movie at RedBox for $1.50, rent a movie for on iTunes for $4 (own it for $14), or own an entire hour long episode of a TV show for $3-4. Or you can "own" one comic book with an incomplete story for the same price. Even a modest comic habit of 4 issues a week, is now a $50+ a month investment in entertainment. How many 10 year olds have $50 a month to blow? And if they have that kind of money why not just get a season of the Batman animated series instead for the $35? If there really serious about accessibility they need to divest digital from print (or use digital to subsidize print) and drop the price, at least, in half.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    New Batman gig? Are we seriously supposed to expect Lee to do another book? Wonder if this will be ASBAR.
    Or maybe he'll finally do that one issue of Europa.

But after his later Justice League issues with a billion different inkers and the delays to Superman Unchained, yeah, there's no way he's doing anything other than special projects, unless they give him like a year to work on a new ongoing before it launches... which will never happen.

All-New Member

Default You want to sell more comics to TV and movie fans?

Easy:

1) Sell comics where people see movies! - at the concession stand in a theatre, with a link to the source comic for videos in the Amazon Instant Video store/Netflix, etc.
    2) Advertise! - Put commercials for the comics on TV during superhero shows and before films in movie theatres. Always include a QR code they can scan to instantly download a free sample comic right from the screen.
    3) Give them out in schools and at college campuses.

Jim Lee's doing another comic series? What, was Superman Unchained not doing well so DC stuck him on another book? I'm starting to think DC operates the way Family Guy operates in South Park. It's just a bunch of balls with comic book creators names on them being moved into slots with the names of books currently being published by manatees. That or something similar.
    Back For Good Behavior!

Batman Unchained, and each issue will be released every 6 months just like Superman Unchained.

In reality, I'm excited for this. Also, where can I get that Batman #1?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryAtheist View Post
    Jim Lee's doing another comic series? What, was Superman Unchained not doing well so DC stuck him on another book?
    Supposedly it was always intended to be limited run.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Supposedly it was always intended to be limited run.
    Yeah, that's the official word now, but I don't think anyone believes it at least with respect to Snyder. I don't think I've ever seen a limited series get announced as such only after it is on Issue #4. With that said - having Jim Lee draw anything is great. Whether you love him or hate hime he is the most popular and most influential artist of the last 25 years. If he just sticks to one shots, covers and specials then great

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    The DC Comics co-publisher spoke with CBR News about his time on Batman, credit for Bill Finger and a Dark Knight return after "Superman Unchained."

Full article here.
    He has like two Batman gigs on queue for about 4 years! One of them is just a single issue away from publication! What the hell?