Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1. No Magneto or Professor X. They have been at the forefront of this franchise in every movie, I'm ready to see other characters get a chance to shine. Like, oh, maybe Cyclops, the most tragically underused X-Men character of all the film franchise.

2. Tight narrative with a smaller scope. For example, if Sinister is going to be the next bad guy, I'd love to see a small band of X-Men (Cyclops, Jean, Storm, Nightcrawler, young Colossus?) trapped in the Morlock tunnels and fighting the Marauders in an "Aliens" type situation where they have their area to defend and have to stand up to a larger force. You could even work in the sub-plot around Storm becoming the leader of the Morlocks.

3. A proper serial. All of the X-Men movies have been stand alone affairs. I would like to see some type of build up for a sequel. So continuing my example above, we get the Marauders and hints at Sinister, setting up the conflict for the following movie in which Sinister is the primary villain and not just the shadowy puppet master.

4. More stylish tones. I want these movies to start embracing their source material more and stop trying to be so grounded. Let's get some colorful characters and a little bit of the over-the-top style that makes Marvel movies so fun and was really hi-lighted in Deadpool. I think it's time to try something different in this regard.

5. A new creative direction in general. I think Bryan Singer has made a few really good X-Men films and a few decent ones, but I'm ready to see someone else take the reigns now. I think Pete Travis could make the above example and it really work. I really enjoyed Dredd, and I think he could bring that same energy to the above example, as well.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

1 - No Bryan Singer
    2 - No more stupid period pieces. They don't really add anything to the franchise. Give it another soft reboot and just move it to modern time and go from there. The stupid period piece thing has panted them into a corner because they have to keep getting new characters or keep it set in the past to explain why no one is ageing. Xavier would be almost 80 now in modern times. The makers of these films really dont seem to care that much about their own continuity so jumping it up would not make that big a difference anyway.
    3 - No more focus on Xavier and Magneto. Hell lets have no Magneto in an X-Men move for a change.
    4 - Smaller scale stories.
    5 - Stop trying to tell the "big" stories and just tell good stories. X1 and X2 were better because they were more original stories than trying to do a classic comic story.
    5 -

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    5 - Stop trying to tell the "big" stories and just tell good stories. X1 and X2 were better because they were more original stories than trying to do a classic comic story.
    The reason they are doing the big stories is because of X2, which was the movie adaptation of "God Loves, Man Kills", debatably the best X-Men story ever told.

1. Fox has made all the X-Men movies, and all the X-Men movies feel the same...and then there was Deadpool. Deadpool felt like a Marvel Studios picture even though Marvel Studios had no hand in it. While I don't want the X-Men to be rated R affairs, I definitely want them to take more after the Deadpool film in tone, which is too say more colorful, good humor, good pacing, just effing...like what a Marvel Studios movie does, do that Fox. Again, it worked for Deadpool.

2. Costumes. The joke was funny back in the 90s, but in 2016 black leather is out and yellow spandex is in, make the characters look like they walked out of the comics.

3. Agree with the team dynamic/family feel people keep bringing up.

4. Focus more on other characters.

5. Squirrel Girl's a mutant. Squirrel Girl. Squirrel Girl! How the hell is she not in a film yet? I know she's not technically an X-Men or whatever, but if they did Deadpool they can do Squirrel Girl. Get it done Fox and/or Marvel!

Cool

It seems to me that Bryan Singer has accomplished what he has set out to do: restore Jean Grey to life, and give the core group of X-Men that he started with a happy ending.

Now, we need someone else to run with it, and give us high adventure stories without the ten-year jump thing. (Maybe have the school "frozen in time" until 2023, so we can keep the young Professor X and the X-Men?)

Enough of Magneto; he's a cold-blooded mass murderer who's giving regular humans every reason to hate mutants! Let him be the "dark Phoenix" that needs to be gotten rid of. Especially since he's betrayed Charles and other mutants far too many times already ...

Let's have a set of films showing Jean Grey's evolution into Phoenix, and let them run with it. Marvel's biggest mistake was turning her into a villain - and then killing her off. Let's show her becoming the superheroine she had originally been destined to become!

Let's see a bit of the past of Kurt, Ororo, and Peter; see what happened to make them leave their former lives behind and decide to save the world.

I rather wholeheartedly approve of Mystique becoming the new battle commander of the X-Men; Claremont's evil!Mystique never made much sense, and it would be interesting for her to see that, despite the darkness that she rescued Kurt from, there is also light as well.

Finally, I'd like to see Dazzler and Shadowcat introduced into the next movie, and for Professor X to begin healing from the horrific trials he endured at Apocalypse's hands. And maybe, gain a few side benefits as well ...

Fantastic Member

1. A hard reboot. I want whatever comes next to completely break from what came before.

2. Bring in the original five. They have been really under used in the movies. Make it smaller. Not everything has to be world shattering.I get that the original five are not the most popular characters, but neither was iron-man, antman, Thor, captain America, etc...

3. Do the first juggernaut story. I'd like to see juggernaut be this larger than life villain who has a personal grudge with Xavier. Have this one character take sort the X-men single handle after the X-men make a good showing. Again, it is a smaller story and you don't have to kill juggernaut at the end.

4. Introduce elements for the next movie in the first movie. Maybe some one let juggernaut know where he could find Charles. Charles found that out while in his mind. Build to something. He'll it could have been the shi'at empire if you want looking to eliminate Jean.

5. Introduce characters slowly and more methodically. Maybe have other movies like X-force and X-factor. Have single character one shots or focuses.

Extraordinary Member

At this point I care more about the New Mutants movie than about the main line.

1 Use lesser known characters rather than Cyclops, Jean, Mystique, Wolverine, ect. First Class showed that that approach can work wonderfully, while the franchise keeps on either messing up characters like Storm or showing just how boring and uninteresting Cyclops and Jean really are.

2 It's time to stop 'setting up' the X-Men. The current timeline is 20 years old and they're only now forming the X-Men? Apocalypse would have been a much better movie if the X-Men were already formed at the start.

3 Get a director who is better at both humor and action scenes

4 Related-give the movies a visual flare. Even the relatively good ones have looked drab

5 Keep the side-movies coming. If Wolverine has solos there's no need for him to dominate the main films. The universe needs building as well. And at this point I expect the side-projects to turn out better than the main-line films in general.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    2) The inclusion of gay characters. The X-Men franchise has always had more gay, lesbian and bisexual characters than the rest of Marvel but after several installments (four of them directed by a man who identifies as bisexual), which have used a variety of characters, spanning over a decade, there's still no representation. The mutants as a metaphor for being gay was very clever and groundbreaking back with the second film's "coming out as a mutant" scene with Iceman and his parents, but years later a "don't ask, don't tell" joke in First Class and Magneto urging his fellow mutants to "come out" with him in DoFP doesn't have the same impact. By the now they should be able to actually use one of their openly gay, lesbian or bi characters in at least a minor role, but with Karma not being included in the upcoming New Mutants movie it still seems unlikely that they will anytime soon.
    Considering how prominent Mystique is in these movies it surprising how they never even hint that she is bisexual.

Who cares?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Five Things I Want in a New X-Men Movie:

1 Magneto being a crusty old xornvestite we all like better
    2 Fantomex and E.V.A. being chased around Paris and blowing a monster's brain up
    3 Beak and Angel naming their kids after the Jacksons
    4 Quentin getting Wolverine by the balls
    5 The Jean and Hank, "we'll win this by cooperation" scene

Not uncoincidentally, that's kinda just what I'd want in another X-Men movie, too.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Considering how prominent Mystique is in these movies it surprising how they never even hint that she is bisexual.
    It's not surprising to me, considering that there's absolutely zero LGBT representation in any popular movie franchise.

BANNED

"God Loves, Man Kills".