Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Five Things You Want in a New X-Men Movie

I know two things for sure: the reaction to X-Men: Apocalypse was mixed (I thought it had some real problems, but enjoyed it overall), and there will be another X-Men film, nonetheless.

Here's what I would hope to see from this film:

1) The team actually saving some humans. Seems like all the previous X films were so engrossed in the "we're fighting each other" trope, they never had any time at all to do some real superheroing. Yes, I realize that saving the whole world means saving humans, too, but I'm talking about some specific rescues and heroics; stopping a bank robbery or a nuclear weapons theft, hell, thwarting a mugging! Let's see them connect and interact with average joes for once.

2) New villains. I know we're going to get Sinister, but I agree it's time to shelve Magneto for a bit. Loved McKellan and Fassbinder in those roles, but too much saturation can make anything stale. Nimrod, Selene, Freedom Force, Fenris, or the Brood might work well.

3) The team acting as one; and for more than five minutes at the end of the film. One of the things I loved about the X-Men as a kid (and I'm talking the Claremont era) was the way the members worked as a team; rehearsing, conflicting, complementing, etc. We have seen precious little of this in the films, and it's high time.

4) One core group of six or seven. I think the creators of the films so far have been so concerned about putting as many X-Men in as they can, they have ended up only being able to focus on a very specific few (i.e. Magneto, Professor X, Mystique and Wolverine). Drop down the ranks a bit, and that will stop the need to have a half dozen new origins in each film. And you can concentrate on the wonderful character interaction that hallmarked the classic X-Men days.

5) MCU Crossovers. I'd LOVE to see a cameo by a MCU star like Thor or Cap, but I suppose given the Fox/Marvel split over the characters, this just isn't going to happen. Still, no harm in dreaming.

1.) A Two-Part film, we need a cliffhanger ending and something that really pops to start a second film. Right now the big problem with these films is that you don't have a very natural progression from one film to the next. The main story needs to start to feel serialized which is what we've been missing from other X-men films.

2.) Long term bad guys, Cameron Hodge, Mr Sinister, The Brood, Shadow King, Genosha...start building that stuff.

3.) Costumes

4.) Death, real substantial this is happening death at the very least one major character should die in every film

5.) Sentinals that look and feel like real Sentinals not just giant unmoving statues

BANNED

Clear connections between the various films in the franchise. The lack of consistency between the X-Books (and Marvel in general, frankly) is frustrating. With multiple spin-off franchises set in SEVERAL points along the timeline ("Core" films in the past, Deadpool roughly contemporary, Wolverine "future" though unclear how far, and New Mutants' and Gambit's settings currently unknown) establishing clear continuity and consistency between the films is even more important.

Also, stop the big time jumps. It's beginning to strain credulity when the core films jump forward 10 years in every movie, in addition to losing a lot of opportunities for character development. Pick a decade and stick with it for a bit!

I'd really like to see all of the franchises working together towards a full-scale crisis crossover-style film. Have each one tackle some piece of a larger puzzle, before bringing everyone together in one epic movie. Find one villain that can tie it all together (Selene could work VERY well for this, especially if they went for full Goddess Mode Selene from Necrosha).

have some super villain teams. More than just one. Generic mercenaries/black ops guys don't cut it anymore.

show life beyond living at the mansion. show them visiting NYC or wherever else, for a day on the town, night on the town, etc.

Extraordinary Member

Alpha Flight
    Colossus whipping ass-Dead Pool version
    Bishop
    A baseball game
    Psylocke

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

There's just two things I want from future X-Men movies.

1) A team of X-Men fighting together as a unit against a team of villains who are also fighting together as a unit. This is something I'd like to see from any superhero team movie really; a team-versus-team fight not just a team fighting random henchmen, soldiers, robots, etc. I want to see the X-Men fight the Brotherhood, Acolytes, Marauders, any team of mutant villains like that.

2) The inclusion of gay characters. The X-Men franchise has always had more gay, lesbian and bisexual characters than the rest of Marvel but after several installments (four of them directed by a man who identifies as bisexual), which have used a variety of characters, spanning over a decade, there's still no representation. The mutants as a metaphor for being gay was very clever and groundbreaking back with the second film's "coming out as a mutant" scene with Iceman and his parents, but years later a "don't ask, don't tell" joke in First Class and Magneto urging his fellow mutants to "come out" with him in DoFP doesn't have the same impact. By the now they should be able to actually use one of their openly gay, lesbian or bi characters in at least a minor role, but with Karma not being included in the upcoming New Mutants movie it still seems unlikely that they will anytime soon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post
    1.) A Two-Part film, we need a cliffhanger ending and something that really pops to start a second film. Right now the big problem with these films is that you don't have a very natural progression from one film to the next. The main story needs to start to feel serialized which is what we've been missing from other X-men films.

2.) Long term bad guys, Cameron Hodge, Mr Sinister, The Brood, Shadow King, Genosha...start building that stuff.

3.) Costumes

4.) Death, real substantial this is happening death at the very least one major character should die in every film

5.) Sentinals that look and feel like real Sentinals not just giant unmoving statues
    A major character dying in very film would be a bit much.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Siddon View Post

3.) Costumes

I object point 4 it makes the movies predictable and formulaic
    Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    A major character dying in very film would be a bit much.
    that too

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

1 Costumes

2 No Brian Singer

3 No Mystique/Wolverine focus

4 no working with CIA

5 an Alpha Flight post credits scene

Fantastic Member

Rachel Grey.
    Maybe?
    Please?
    If you can make Cable work, you can make Rachel work.
    TWO adaptations of her origin and both omitted her....

Astonishing Member

1) A focus on some character other than Wolverine, Professor X, Magneto or Mystique. Considering they're going for Sinister next, focus on Scott and/or Jean makes sense. With that said . . .

2) Some kind of scene that shows us why Cyclops is the de facto leader of the X-Men. Some sort of planning or strategy that shows it.

3) I'll echo this one: some real teamwork. When fighting the Horsemen in the newest one, they just seemed to pair off. Let's see some team maneuvers. (Fastball Special, anyone?)

4) More Jubilee! You introduced her, now use her! As an addendum, what I'd like to see is less using name characters as "cameos" and "Easter Eggs". It was cute in the 2000 film, but by now it's just starting to feel like wasted characters.

And here's a great, big pie-in-the-sky, never-gonna-happen one ;

5) An accurate Juggernaut. By that I mean that I want him to be Charles Xavier's step-brother and I want him to be powered by the mystic Ruby of Cyttorak. No more using him as some random super-strong mutant. What's great about the Juggernaut's backstory is actually the way it sidesteps all the X-Men's politics and makes his conflict with Xavier and the X-Men purely personal.

Edit: You know what I noticed we've never had in an X-Men film? That whole "found family" vibe. It would be great to see that, but I'm not sure how they'd do that. Maybe have a movie that ends with a big get-together like a wedding or something.
    Last edited by AdamFTF; 06-25-2016 at 09:30 PM.

1. The X-Men to be on the forefront. As in, while Professor X is the person whose dream the X-Men fight for, if there's going to be a fight, it's gotta be the X-Men vs. Magneto, not Xavier and Erik's idealism while they play chess.

2. A more team oriented feel. I think Wolverine is frikkin' cool, but he should not be the best thing about the X-Men. Cyclops is the leader. Storm is second in command. Colossus is the strong guy. Nightcrawler as the moral centre. Rogue as the wildcard. Psylocke actually having relevance. So on and so forth.

3. Creative people who want the most exciting X-Men movies. A director who does not believe that muted colour palates and lame duck costumes diffuses the serious nature of these characters.

4. A sense of stability. As mentioned earlier, jumping ahead from the 60s to the 70s was a nice little gimmick, but I didn't get really much of a hint of the 80s in any of the trailers I saw for Apocalypse. Pick a decade and stick with it.

5. Expand the cinematic universe. If that means going to space, so be it.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by electr1cgoblin View Post
    I know two things for sure: the reaction to X-Men: Apocalypse was mixed (I thought it had some real problems, but enjoyed it overall), and there will be another X-Men film, nonetheless.
    I found it to be pretty lame, to be completely honest. X2 was the apex of the X-Men films, with First Class being a damn good surprise after X3, but these last two have been... well, not my cup of tea.
    So, where I'd like a break from X films entirely - or at least until some seriously excellent script comes around - I yield that it's an inevitability.

Here's what I would hope to see from this film:

1) The team actually saving some humans. ...but I'm talking about some specific rescues and heroics; stopping a bank robbery or a nuclear weapons theft, hell, thwarting a mugging! Let's see them connect and interact with average joes for once.
    Please, no muggings! If ever there's a cheap moment to show off someone as being bad-arse, the writer has a random mugging/hold-up (which should really only be used in an action-comedy!). But other than that, I see completely where you're coming from and it's something that continuously surprises me. After all, Spider-man has several such moments in every film... that's partly why he's so popular.

2) New villains. I know we're going to get Sinister, but I agree it's time to shelve Magneto for a bit. Loved McKellan and Fassbinder in those roles, but too much saturation can make anything stale. Nimrod, Selene, Freedom Force, Fenris, or the Brood might work well.
    The Brood: Invasion of the Body-Snatchers meets super powers. Nah. It was nice to change the tempo of the comics, but The Brood were more of a distraction ("and now for something completely different") than anything and should not be considered for a film.
    My main problem with Apocalypse was that he was just very badly done. Of course, he had to be killed off in the end because he was too powerful to keep alive for another day, but he basically walked around gathering his Magnificent Seven until some X-Men (who should have been dead, considering how a shove from a man moving at the speed of light, sending them through windows and onto the lawn 20 meters away from the building about to explode would have obliterated their bones) decided to act.

But yeah, I agree that some new villains are needed... preferrably ones who don't have the power of the sun and can present a lasting threat.

3) The team acting as one; and for more than five minutes at the end of the film. One of the things I loved about the X-Men as a kid (and I'm talking the Claremont era) was the way the members worked as a team; rehearsing, conflicting, complementing, etc. We have seen precious little of this in the films, and it's high time.
    It would certainly make for a different film to all those we've seen thus far...

4) One core group of six or seven. I think the creators of the films so far have been so concerned about putting as many X-Men in as they can, they have ended up only being able to focus on a very specific few (i.e. Magneto, Professor X, Mystique and Wolverine). Drop down the ranks a bit, and that will stop the need to have a half dozen new origins in each film. And you can concentrate on the wonderful character interaction that hallmarked the classic X-Men days.
    I don't understand your point here at all.
    You mention a handful of character and say that the next film should only focus on a handful of characters... so do you mean other characters? And if so, how does introducing new characters skip origins?
    Personally, I'd like to see some different X-Men, but they'd have to fit in alongside some that audiences already knew, or you may as well call the next film X-People.

5) MCU Crossovers. I'd LOVE to see a cameo by a MCU star like Thor or Cap, but I suppose given the Fox/Marvel split over the characters, this just isn't going to happen. Still, no harm in dreaming.
    I DO NOT want to see this.
    Keep X-Men films as X-Men film - they have more than enough sources to draw from if you want some kind of fan-service.

Overall though, I just want a film with an engaging plot. The Avengers were awful - in my opinion - because both films were utterly disposable, "pop corn" flicks.
    Yes, I get that they're intended to be mega-CGI blockbusters, but we should care even remotely about the characters and that's been the biggest problem so far with the majority of these films. That, and below-par villains.
    If you look at what made The Wolverine work, it was because we cared about the Japanese woman Wolverine was trying to protect, whilst the dying old dude - well, who can't relate with someone wanting to live longer? Plus, kick-arse action - a MUST.

Captain America: Winter Soldier: solid, thrill-ride plot. Okay, so maybe Black Widow could've bitten the bullet without making too much difference, but the pacing and action made it a great flick - made it engaging for a different reason.

Spider-man 2: simply put, we CARED about what happened to Peter Parker and his girlfriend, while Doc Oc presented a feasible threat. ENGAGING.

These last 2 X films have had weak villains, characters and outcomes we don't much care about one way or the other and insipid action sequences. THAT, for me, more than anything else, needs to change.

New creative team.

An understanding of pacing. So unbelievably important especially in movies. I'd say at least around 70% of movies i don't enjoy is because of bad pacing

The feel as if it's a team. In the Avengers i felt Whedon did such an amazing job at making them feel so much like a team, it was a family. I believed in that completely. There wasn't even a sliver of doubt at any point during either Avengers movie even at points when they might have been at odds where i didn't feel like this was such a badass team and not because they were badasses but because they were such an amazing team. To me, what was done with the Avengers is sort of the pinnacle of what i want from a team superhero movie. Guardians of the Galaxy followed up on that foundation well. The X-Men, i'd like to see use that as a basis but go even further into that family aspect of them being a team of outcasts and have such a strong bond because of it. In theory they'd have such a strong bond if one of them was hurt they'd all feel it. Not in reality but i'm just saying that's the kind of family and team i'd want to be brought into within this world of mutants. Because of being outcasts and so different they feel such a deep connection to each other in that regard.

No forced agendas. The female character doesn't have to come out and be so amazingly badass that she beats up every man in the world in 5 seconds to show how badass she is. A black character doesn't need to be all about being a black character with half their lines being about that. Not being defined by these things but focus on being just good and complex characters that happen to be female or black or whatever.

Some variety, a bit of lighthearted humor, fast action none of this long drawn out action scenes, some serious and dark moments and ultimately feeling like you've been on a journey with these characters.

If a couple of those were accomplished with strong pacing. I have no doubts i'd probably enjoy the movie.

In fairness to Singer, i did feel he tried at times to achieve what i spoke on about being such a close team and family but i don't know. I just don't think he succeeded at all. Maybe trying to bring in too many characters or doing too much overall. I don't know what it was exactly but it didn't work for me or even come close to working in what i imagine it to be like. It needs more focus on the inter personal team dynamic like seen in the Avengers how they play off each other and have that banter and bond, and don't feel like just a bunch of characters that are grouped up.
    Last edited by SXVA; 06-26-2016 at 02:45 AM.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

1. Ditch the black leather costumes. I wouldn't mind if they brought back the blue and yellow outfits.

2. No more Bryan Singer.

3. More Colossus.

4. Stop making Wolverine and Mystique the main focus in the movies.

5. A more stablized timeline not making us wonder why Jubilee's practically the same age between AOA and the first X-men movie.