Default Wonder Woman and Feminism: Gender Balance as the Key to Gender Equality

An article by Teresa Jusino on Wonder Woman and gender equality. It's very good, bringing up relevant points and I highly recommend it.

Edit: Sorry forgot to post the article

http://www.themarysue.com/wonder-woman-and-feminism/
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-25-2016 at 01:06 AM.

Mighty Member

it was ok. It misrepresented Diana's position as secretary as something that was DC being sexist when it was really Marston not wanting people who he felt didnt know how to write Diana correctly writing her character. Also, she never represented a balance between peace and war but that war was bad and it can be destroyed with the feminine power of love. I think it kind of tries to make Marston's version more palpable with the new 52 Diana and thats just not what she use to represent not that its better or worse but its just not what he believed or the message of those stories. Diana has usually been more about reclaiming the feminine and not balance between masculinity/femininity
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 06-24-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Mighty Member

heres the article

regarding the secretary bit, isnt that covered in the article? that marston wanted to be the only one writing her.

as for the article. quite good. it isnt often i get to read one thats a bit positive about post marston ww.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    heres the article

regarding the secretary bit, isnt that covered in the article? that marston wanted to be the only one writing her.

as for the article. quite good. it isnt often i get to read one thats a bit positive about post marston ww.
    referring to this line "Her being a woman, they of course made her Secretary, a role she was attached to for years."

EDIT: Ah i see, i skimmed over that part that explained it
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 06-24-2016 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrodite's Champion View Post
    it was ok. It misrepresented Diana's position as secretary as something that was DC being sexist when it was really Marston not wanting people who he felt didnt know how to write Diana correctly writing her character.
    That's interesting. Any sources for that idea? This seems to suggest that Marston would let his own ego conquer the supposed intention of his character: that he wanted a strong woman in comics, but only if he was writing her.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    That's interesting. Any sources for that idea? This seems to suggest that Marston would let his own ego conquer the supposed intention of his character: that he wanted a strong woman in comics, but only if he was writing her.
    I'll have to look it up later but it was mentioned in the article. Its not that he didn't want others writing her but he didn't like the way they were writing her. I can't even tell you what was so wrong with how they were writing her tho my guess is she either wasn't as strong as she was meant to be or she didn't hold the same values as she's meant to (love, womanhood,etc.).

I'll have to look it up later but it was mentioned in the article. Its not that he didn't want others writing her but he didn't like the way they were writing her. I can't even tell you what was so wrong with how they were writing her tho my guess is she either wasn't as strong as she was meant to be or she didn't hold the same values as she's meant to (love, womanhood,etc.).
    Yes, that rings a bell now.

BANNED

I think that was ultimately down to opposing philosophies about how to handle female characters back then. I'd imagine Marston had issues with her appearing as the JSA secretary because it wasn't the kind of job Marston would have given Diana when she was herself. With Diana Prince it was fine when he himself did it because Diana was essentially playing a role so she could both gather intelligence on situations that might need her, and ofc let her hang around Steve even if he couldn't 'see' her. By contrast, Wonder Woman being the secretary of the JSA was the kind of gender inequality Marston would have been against... because the secretary is never equal to the people she/he is taking notes for, even more so when she accepted the job willingly because that was Diana conforming into a job she was ultimately overqualified and under utilized. (If this happened today and we took a look at merits for the job, Superman would actually have been a better candidate, being a reporter and all that).