Incredible Member

Default Is Dan Jurgens using the Lex plot to re-establish Booster Gold?

Dan Jurgens created Booster, who has been a pet character of his who has shown up in a variety of books Dan wrote. Likewise, Waverider is another, similar Jurgens creation.

When Jurgens created Booster and had him raid various artifacts from a museum to become a super-hero, Jurgens' intent was always that Booster's power suit was an advanced power suit worn by Lex Luthor. Post-Crisis continuity got in the way of this but with Lex now sporting a power suit, I wonder if we're in for a re-establishment of Jurgens' original premise.

On a related and weirder note, as of Convergence, the older, pre-Flashpoint Booster Gold became the new Waverider. Given that Waverider was a time travel character, a Jurgens pet creation, and is now explicitly a character from before Flashpoint, he seems like an easy inclusion in Jurgens' Superman run given that he would likely be aware of what's going on with the timeline and have a history with Clark and Lois.

Thumbs up

The last time I saw this character he said that something was wrong, by Superman X Wonderwoman.. I get irritated to hear that.. DC thinks that and did not have faith in this couple.. And now the Rebirth..

Although, if he returns can not happen nothing more.. DC wants his old world in rebirth.

Really, DC needs a ABSOLUTE RESTART.. All fans, we should forget the past and stick to new things.
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-28-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I'd be down for Booster to be re-established.

Incredible Member

Its about time.

Dan Jurgens created Booster, who has been a pet character of his who has shown up in a variety of books Dan wrote. Likewise, Waverider is another, similar Jurgens creation.
    I think its a bit weird to call him a "pet character" considering the most sucessful and well-know Booster Gold stories were written by Geoff Johns or Giffen. And since 52 and his series everybody loves Booster Gold.

Also Waverider rocks!

Wait, so Booster's Armor was one of Lex's suits? Interesting. It doesn't look like it tho - needs more kryptonite. From what I remember it does have a lot of Superman-ish abilities.

Reminds me of the time Lex attacked Supes with a Boosterbot powered by Kryptonite.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
    Its about time.

I think its a bit weird to call him a "pet character" considering the most sucessful and well-know Booster Gold stories were written by Geoff Johns or Giffen. And since 52 and his series everybody loves Booster Gold.

Also Waverider rocks!

Wait, so Booster's Armor was one of Lex's suits? Interesting. It doesn't look like it tho - needs more kryptonite. From what I remember it does have a lot of Superman-ish abilities.

Reminds me of the time Lex attacked Supes with a Boosterbot powered by Kryptonite.
    Booster's armor was supposed to be later revealed as one of Lex's suits. Then a couple of issues in, Byrne's Man of Steel happened and that got dropped. Jurgens has discussed this a few times in interviews over the years. Booster's Legion flight ring also posed some issues that required a couple of retcons over the years to sync up with Legion history but I believe was originally meant to be Superboy's or Supergirl's.

Basically, Booster was conceived by Jurgens as a pre-Crisis character. Pre-Crisis Superman showed up early on. But Jurgens had to adapt to the post-Crisis status quo pretty quickly.

I know Booster's arguably most famous appearances were under Johns and Giffen -- But Jurgens created the character and repeatedly returned to the character, with a particular focus on "fixing" the character. He also had a tendency to use the character in seemingly unrelated books he worked on (for instance, a Batman mini).

Waverider was similarly created by Jurgens and tends to have an elevated importance in Jurgens stories (much like Doomsday does). See: Superman/Doomsday: Hunter Prey, Convergence: Booster Gold, Zero Hour (which had Waverider replaced with an alternate version of himself, something Grant Morrison took to extremes by having Waverider and Matt Ryder interact with one another in new ways, implying that there were multiple copies of each becoming one another).

To some extent, in a Jurgens book, I think you can expect to see Booster, Waverider, Emil Hamilton, Ron Troupe, and Doomsday if he gets a long enough run to feature all of them. Goldstar seems similarly special to Dan. Jon Kent has similarly been getting played with like this (as I recall, Jurgens had a version of Jon in Batman Beyond). Rip Hunter is a non-Jurgens character who Jurgens uses a LOT. I want to say Captain Atom and versions of Monarch tend to be recurring things for him too. Oh. And the Legion of Super-Heroes, particularly in their Cockrum costumes. And Supergirl. He tried a few ways to get Kara back after Crisis (including reintroducing her in an Aliens crossover and pitching her for his Teen Titans comic) and more than anyone else seemed to want to squint and pretend Matrix was Kara. (You'll note she rarely turned into a blob or was shown dating Luthor in Jurgens' run. He always went out of his way to just treat her as Supergirl.) Jurgens also supposedly wanted Batgirl back after Zero Hour. Jurgens is also big on Green Arrow, Warlord, Vartox, and Barbara Gordon Batgirl. Oh, and his Teen Titans characters (Risk and Argent especially) and his character Outburst.

That's basically the list of characters I have my eyes peeled for. Along with the new villains he created for Lois and Clark.

But I just thought back to how he originally wanted Booster's suit to be a Lex suit and thought maybe he was trying to re-establish that here by giving Lex a compact power suit.