Page 123 of 657 FirstFirst ... 2373113119120121122123124125126127133173223623 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 9846

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Contrary-wise, as long tenured as Claremont was his writing has never been anything amazingly special.
    Claremont is overrated. He was amazing and did wonders for the franchise but he peaked at UXM 175. His run goes downhill once Scott is married off, Paul Smith leaves art and Romita Jr takes over. Its not terrible but nowhere near as good as the first half. He gets alot of praise for an unprecedent 17 year run, but the latter half is not that great. I actually dont think it gets good again until Inferno and I think the crossover with X-Factor did wonders for it.

Mighty Member

I like the stories but I never totally understood the central metaphor of the X-men, and why a lot of their antagonists seem politically racists ring-wingers.

If I was a leftist in the Marvel Universe, I would totally support a mutant-registration act. If my neighbor is a living weapon, for his safety and mine, I want to know it and I want him to be controlled and trained by professionals... And if mutants suffer because of their powers or are too dangerous to live in society, I would totally want a cure to help them.

And iff their leaders call themselves "Homo Superior" and talk about being the next step in evolution, I would be a little worried. Their views remind me more of Nazis than minorities who fight for social justice.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Claremont is overrated. He was amazing and did wonders for the franchise but he peaked at UXM 175. His run goes downhill once Scott is married off, Paul Smith leaves art and Romita Jr takes over. Its not terrible but nowhere near as good as the first half. He gets alot of praise for an unprecedent 17 year run, but the latter half is not that great. I actually dont think it gets good again until Inferno and I think the crossover with X-Factor did wonders for it.
    I agree with this, but I'd add Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants as highlights. And after the Siege Perilous, there is nothing much that is unmissable. As time went on,.he, as often happens with writers, let his flaws get the best of him- plots dragging too long, the at times cringeworthy dialogue, his obsession with the Madelyne/Shooter thing,.etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I agree with this, but I'd add Mutant Massacre and Fall of the Mutants as highlights. And after the Siege Perilous, there is nothing much that is unmissable. As time went on,.he, as often happens with writers, let his flaws get the best of him- plots dragging too long, the at times cringeworthy dialogue, his obsession with the Madelyne/Shooter thing,.etc.
    I do like the Genosha arc and Rachel's introduction, plus the Uncanny #268 is among my favorite Wolverine stories, but yeah, there is definetly a dip on quality during The Outback Era.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Think that the point that Claremont's books start to go downhill are when other X-titles started to make names for themselves, particularly when he started cutting time between both Uncanny X-Men and New Mutants, and his New Mutants with Sienkiewicz got the lions share of the quality writing while - even during the X-Men's whole Outback era and such as that written by Claremont - and that even later when other writers started coming in, they overshadowed him. To this day I'd much prefer to read X-Factor by Simonson, and even the New Mutants arcs that were written by her to some of the Claremont ones (though I still would say that Claremont's best early work came from his New Mutants.) And anything that was written after his Reboot era, and during it for that matter, never came close. X-Treme was probably the most that I enjoyed is writing in the modern day, and X-Men Forever was just awful.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

CC only loses 30% of his energy when Storm gets repowered.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The best thing that could have happened to Claremont would be Shooter shooting (get it?) down the Madelyne thing from the start; that way, Cyclops is either leading the team when Xavier has Magneto take over the school, give him extra reason to be mad about it and walk out, or he's with the Starjammers, meaning there's no leadership fight, no stupid retcon that introduced the triangle with Logan and Jean (the worst thing to happen to all 3 characters), nothing to stop him from getting together with Jean again, etc. And get him a co-writer around issue #200 or so would have been neat, even if unrealistic.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Honestly there's no reason that through most of the eighties Simonson and Claremont couldn't have been cowriting all three titles. They all lined up rather well and it would have kept things even more consistent than they were back then.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Yeah, but you don't go to your highest selling writer and say he must get a co-writer.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I like the stories but I never totally understood the central metaphor of the X-men, and why a lot of their antagonists seem politically racists ring-wingers.

If I was a leftist in the Marvel Universe, I would totally support a mutant-registration act. If my neighbor is a living weapon, for his safety and mine, I want to know it and I want him to be controlled and trained by professionals... And if mutants suffer because of their powers or are too dangerous to live in society, I would totally want a cure to help them.

And iff their leaders call themselves "Homo Superior" and talk about being the next step in evolution, I would be a little worried. Their views remind me more of Nazis than minorities who fight for social justice.
    Sooo you're not a leftist

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    Sooo you're not a leftist
    Don't like to talk about my politics view, but yes I am english is not my first langage, i sometimes don't use the correct definitions or convey my ideas correctly... Feel free to correct my mistakes by dm, it will really help me to improve my english.
    Last edited by lordozone; 08-11-2019 at 05:35 PM.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    The best thing that could have happened to Claremont would be Shooter shooting (get it?) down the Madelyne thing from the start; that way, Cyclops is either leading the team when Xavier has Magneto take over the school, give him extra reason to be mad about it and walk out, or he's with the Starjammers, meaning there's no leadership fight, no stupid retcon that introduced the triangle with Logan and Jean (the worst thing to happen to all 3 characters), nothing to stop him from getting together with Jean again, etc. And get him a co-writer around issue #200 or so would have been neat, even if unrealistic.
    I never get it that Logan/Jean/Scott is the worse things to happen to these characters

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I never get it that Logan/Jean/Scott is the worse things to happen to these characters
    I respectfully disagree, all love triangles are horrible and this one has haunted the characters for decades.
    (i ship jott but i don't hate Jean/logan, i just don't like love triangles, they are so disrespectful to everybody involved)

I mean it doesn't do the characters any favors, especially among casual fans that though it was something big (when in practice it really doesn't qualify as one), but they definitely gone through worst directions in universe, especially Wolverine and Cyclops.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Because it has defined the characters outside of comics for decades now, and was a massive disservice that made all of them look bad. Logan as the stalking creep, Jean as the tease that keeps pushing it, and Scott as the cockblocker to the cool guy.