Page 498 of 657 FirstFirst ... 398448488494495496497498499500501502508548598 ... LastLast
Results 7,456 to 7,470 of 9841
    Astonishing Member

From Way of X and New Mutants, the apparent lack of any thought regarding even the most basic system of social services on the apparent basis of ‘lol sapien thought’ raises certain questions about the causes of the collapse of the mutant societies in previous lives

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Yeah some of the mutants opinions on "sapien culture" are approaching "didn't you know Hitler was a vegetarian" levels of disconnect between the people doing the thing and whether or not the thing is a good idea

Extraordinary Member

What if Xavier wiped Franklin's x-gene because he knew that he would never side with Krakoa against humans?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    From Way of X and New Mutants, the apparent lack of any thought regarding even the most basic system of social services on the apparent basis of ‘lol sapien thought’ raises certain questions about the causes of the collapse of the mutant societies in previous lives
    Honestly, the apparent lack of any thought regarding even the most basic system of social services has been a chronic issue across the ENTIRE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

The entire New X-Men generation, especially Hellion, is in desperate need of therapy, and X-23 definitely needed some time on the couch with a licensed psychiatrist. In fact is there ANYONE on the X-Men who hasn't had to deal with trauma that would put them into an institution IRL? The entire franchise is one big ball of untreated PTSD, mommy/daddy issues, and other mental and emotional disorders.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Rachel went to therapy on her own and the New Mutants got some of it with Emma and Magneto´s help back in the 80´s but for most of the characters you are right they don´t really have a formal theraphy service with the exception of some telepaths that have their own issues. They definitely need to address this even if they go back to the mansion and also those new born children, they will not lack for food but they will lack their parents love which brings a whole new level of problems for Krakoa.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Honestly, the apparent lack of any thought regarding even the most basic system of social services has been a chronic issue across the ENTIRE MARVEL UNIVERSE.

The entire New X-Men generation, especially Hellion, is in desperate need of therapy, and X-23 definitely needed some time on the couch with a licensed psychiatrist. In fact is there ANYONE on the X-Men who hasn't had to deal with trauma that would put them into an institution IRL? The entire franchise is one big ball of untreated PTSD, mommy/daddy issues, and other mental and emotional disorders.
    No doubt. This is not a genre that handles it well *shudders at remembering heroes in crisis*

But it’s pretty egregious when such a large part of the X-Men mythos is built around establishing a new nation/society that’s now the centre of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    What if Xavier wiped Franklin's x-gene because he knew that he would never side with Krakoa against humans?
    A more likely guess that, after all the problems of Kate’s powers firing off while she was in the pod, Xavier wasn’t willing to gamble the political fallout of putting Franklin through Crucible or risk Krakoa/Earth/the concept of Carbon based life on Franklin’s husk not reflexively shattering reality before Xavier could upload his consciousness

So he gaslighted like a pro
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 06-28-2021 at 09:48 AM.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Double post
    Attached Images Attached Images

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

People don’t give Dazzler Enough cred as an OG OMEGA LEVEL MUTANT
    94457562-0762-4645-8640-551DA4D00D3E.jpg

The "human extinction" motivation for antagonism towards mutants is the weakest one in my opinion and comes closest to breaking my suspension of disbelief. I've begun re-reading HoX/PoX to write up a refreshed opinion of the event, and that stuck out to me immediately.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I think it makes sense: humans on top, see an emerging, completely random and unpredictable new species coming up, humans try to stay on top by nipping it in the bud before they lose out on the number game.

It makes more sense than when mutants are a "race" (like earlier allegories for mutant stories often were) that can integrate with humanity, and more of being their own species destined to replace them in the evolutionary line (which they are now).

Ironically the earlier versions, despite not being deliberate, actually fits the LGBT interpretation of the metaphor more than the modern one: "Some random percentage of the population is gonna be mutants, there's no guarantee whether mutants or humans will give birth to a mutant or a human, so you'll just have to deal with it being a part of the population", which is very different than the "demographic inevitability" angle of the modern version
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 06-29-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I think it makes sense: humans on top, see an emerging, completely random and unpredictable new species coming up, humans try to stay on top by nipping it in the bud before they lose out on the number game.

It makes more sense than when mutants are a "race" (like earlier allegories for mutant stories often were) that can integrate with humanity, and more of being their own species destined to replace them in the evolutionary line (which they are now).

Ironically the earlier versions, despite not being deliberate, actually fits the LGBT interpretation of the metaphor more than the modern one: "Some random percentage of the population is gonna be mutants, there's no guarantee whether mutants or humans will give birth to a mutant or a human, so you'll just have to deal with it being a part of the population", which is very different than the "demographic inevitability" angle of the modern version
    I follow you, but mutant parents can have non-mutant children - they're human mutates after all, not a separate species as you yourself note. As for the race thing, I've always felt the metaphor isn't 1:1, but it makes sense in a loose framework that includes other interpretations. And integration would be a fantastic story and I would prefer that to most of what we have now.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

I think the mutant representation angle has changed with krakoa now that mutants are not the victims they have been. They have created their own echo chambers by creating their own society. I see that as an inevitability but it also brings some good opportunities to address the sort of tribalism that goes on in the world especially in books like way of x.

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    I think the mutant representation angle has changed with krakoa now that mutants are not the victims they have been. They have created their own echo chambers by creating their own society. I see that as an inevitability but it also brings some good opportunities to address the sort of tribalism that goes on in the world especially in books like way of x.
    Yeah, but they're barely addressing it, the pace is atrocious. Nothing has happened, and this theme is hardly being explored.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Most of the X-Men's costumes are really, really bad. I don't even know if that's an unpopular opinion, but I wanted to say it anyway. The yellow and navy is just so tacky. But the costumes are iconic, and you can't take that away from them.

Origins Wolverine should have a bigger impact than it does.