Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Ummm...no...

A foreign national who breaks the law in the US is subject to US law and jurisdiction....they are not sent back to their home country to be tried by their home government. Just a a US citizen abroad is subject to the laws of the country they are visiting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_principle
    Its corollary bars states from exercising jurisdiction within the territory of other states without their express consent, unless such an exercise can be based on other principles of jurisdiction, such as the principle of nationality, the passive personality principle, the protective principle, and possibly, the principle of universal jurisdiction.[2]
    Nationality Principle_An international tenet which recognized the right of countries to exercise sovereign jurisdiction over a national even if the national violates sovereign laws in another country.
    Unless thereīs a previous agreetmen between the US and the country from which that person is from or the nationality principle, in that case they must come to an agreetment on the place that person will be judged and by whose laws.

Emma cited the dyplomatic agreetment the US has with Krakoa as the reason behind her being able to bring Sabretooth to Krakoa and be judged there.

So in the situation of serious crimes being committed by a mutant...and the country in which the crimes are committed are refusing to give the criminal up to Krakoa...what is Krakoa going to do? Send the X-Men to break them out of prison? Have Magic or Pixie or Vanisher teleport them away?

Or are they going to look at the seriousness of the crimes and just make sure he has a lawyer and wash their hands of it.
    This would be a dyplomatic incident, if the mutant is from Krakoa, in which case they must see if they have a previous agreetment with the country in question or yes help in giving them a lawyer for their judgment. I donīt really see the X-men breaking them out, especially if the person in question is guilty and they only want them to get to Krakoa to be judged there.

And I am not saying that Krakoa is the most evil place on Earth...I just want more complexity to the story.
    Me too but I donīt think those kind of hypotethical situations suggested by you are conducive to a complex story, rather it seemed like you wanted to paint the entire place as a diplomatic get out of jail for all mutants or as if the X-men succedenly donīt know anything about ethics, law or common sense, when the comics have already adressed this is not the case at all. If you want complexity then lest see all the implications for every case.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 02-27-2021 at 05:12 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022