Page 262 of 655 FirstFirst ... 162212252258259260261262263264265266272312362 ... LastLast
Results 3,916 to 3,930 of 9824

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Her name is Kitty and always will be Kitty. She cant just up and change her name 40 years later as if thats gonna stick
    "Shadowcat" didn't stick as effectively since everyone just called her Kitty, so they're trying to target "Kitty" by having her change to "Kate", lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    "Shadowcat" didn't stick as effectively since everyone just called her Kitty, so they're trying to target "Kitty" by having her change to "Kate", lmao.
    IDA. I think Shadowcat is a name that stuck. Its how I and most people that grew up with her in the 90s knew her as and she had consistently gone by that for about a decade. People still will call her that, just not in the books but she had a long stint of nearly 20 years with that codename so I dont think its fair to say its one that didnt stick effectively

IDA. I think Shadowcat is a name that stuck. Its how I and most people that grew up with her in the 90s knew her as and she had consistently gone by hat for about a decade. People still will call her that, just not in the books.
    I don't think the average person calls her Shadowcat—and that speaks volumes. In most mediums she's Kitty. When Weezer name drops you as Kitty Pryde along with Nightcrawler rather than Shadowcat, that says enough for me. She's known as Shadowcat about as much as Jean Grey is known as Marvel Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I don't think the average person calls her Shadowcat—and that speaks volumes. In most mediums she's Kitty. When Weezer name drops you as Kitty Pryde along with Nightcrawler rather than Shadowcat, that says enough for me. She's known as Shadowcat about as much as Jean Grey is known as Marvel Girl.
    But Im not talking about outside media, Im talking about the books which is the context to how Kate is used and how the issue of her name was brought up

She was Shadowcat on X-Men Evolution and that's good enough for me

But Im not talking about outside media, Im talking about the books which is the context to how Kate is used and how the issue of her name was brought up
    I get that, but name changes in books won't ever stick if they don't catch on in the greater scheme of the character's IP.

But, sticking to the books, then I guess you're right. I just think it's reckless to ignore the importance of outside mediums when determining a character's name and brand—even if we're just talking about the books.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

When was the last time someone actually referred to her as Shadowcat, in-comic?
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

BANNED

good thing thats not whats happening here
    The critic Stephanie Burt referred to it as deadnaming in her X-Men/FF discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The critic Stephanie Burt referred to it as deadnaming in her X-Men/FF discussion.
    I have no idea who that is nor why I should care about her opinion

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Crimson Dawn was actually cool and it should resurface

Maggott should get horseman'd as the new Pestillence

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    That's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch. Deadnaming a huge insult for trans people. Calling a grown woman by her nickname used for most of her life is nowhere near the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    That's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge stretch. Deadnaming a huge insult for trans people. Calling a grown woman by her nickname used for most of her life is nowhere near the same thing.
    especially considering Kate is also a nickname for the birth name that she has still kept

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    It's probably some eccentric X-Fan's intrepertation of Kitty's name change being subtext for trans stuff. You know how X-Fans are.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I really want the name Shadowcat back and it did stick for a while actually and sure Weezer said Kitty in In The Garage but I think that had more to do with the fact that she had other codenames before that like Sprite and Ariel. Plus, I want her to wear a mask again and go back to a stealthy costume with dark colors instead of that dull yellow and blue costume. Bring back the curls too!

Shadowcat is a pretty cool name. I always referred to her by that until this relaunch