Page 331 of 657 FirstFirst ... 231281321327328329330331332333334335341381431 ... LastLast
Results 4,951 to 4,965 of 9843

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    well they're not. We're the reader and are privvy to more info but if you were a person in universe, would you honestly be trusting of a group that has regularly taken in the likes of Magneto and Mystique (whom flipped back and forth between being terrorist)? It makes more logical sense for people to be weary of them
    I don’t think Mystique has ever been officially a X-woman and Magneto has always been a bone of contention with the other super-groups when he was included in the X-men.

For the rest… here is my unpopular opinion: I understand the opinion of the humans in MU about the mutants. Of course, I don’t condone the persecutions and the massacres. Clearly it’s a over-the-top reaction and it has been done for the sake of drama.
    But I understand their fear and suspicions.

Claremont’s X-men showed their humanity and the desire to be a force of good for everyone. It wasn’t hard to be on their side as a reader. So there was a difficulty to understand outsiders’ point of view but, as the X-men are less and less like the ones made by Claremont, it is easier and easier…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Is Nikolaevna her patrilineal name? I didn't know that but I agree with you it's a mess, they just made up a name that they thought sounds cool but it unlike her brother's name just doesn't exist in the language.
    It could be that the writers knew how the name sounded but didn't know the right way to spell it and spelled it wrong.

I remember hearing about this computer game someone did where you as a itrepid space ship pilot have to fight off alien war machines that are named after real world elements... except the last one. It's named "Urridium" instead of Iridium.

Amazing Member

Madelyne Pryor feels like a character that has long since overstayed her welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by comicboy12 View Post
    Madelyne Pryor feels like a character that has long since overstayed her welcome.
    It is the reason why she is so much loved: she is ill-mannered…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Is Nikolaevna her patrilineal name? I didn't know that but I agree with you it's a mess, they just made up a name that they thought sounds cool but it unlike her brother's name just doesn't exist in the language.
    The same thing happened with Oroku Sakai. As I understand, there's almost nothing about it that works as a name in Japan. And yet it's so iconic it's almost impossible to think about "fixing" it.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I think Magneto should take a break and be replaced by Mosus Magnum, be the next Master of Magnetism, A rivalry between the two could be pretty fresh.

Unpopular opinion: if you’re a mutant and you don’t want to be persecuted, then take any one of the numerous cures that have appeared over the years. You can argue that they shouldn’t have to all you want but if being a mutant is such a problem and there’s a cure for it, then what you’re really saying is that being a mutant is worth all the problems that come with it. Obviously I’m talking pre-Hick here.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Unpopular opinion: if you’re a mutant and you don’t want to be persecuted, then take any one of the numerous cures that have appeared over the years. You can argue that they shouldn’t have to all you want but if being a mutant is such a problem and there’s a cure for it, then what you’re really saying is that being a mutant is worth all the problems that come with it. Obviously I’m talking pre-Hick here.
    They also have mutant power dampeners, created by Magneto himself and mass produced by pre-Magneto Genosha. Rogue could have something to take on and off at will years ago.

While that’s actually super logical it would also ruin the minority metaphor cause you can’t cure being black or gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    While that’s actually super logical it would also ruin the minority metaphor cause you can’t cure being black or gay.
    But the minority metaphor is flawed as hell.

Uncontrollably shooting beams from your eyes that can level a house with a glance is not the same as having a different skin colour!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The minority metaphor is offensive, when the people show on page as persecuted all look like super models and are almost exclusively white. That japanese guy from Warren Ellis run, was on some level right, the X-Men are basically a bunch of super hot people with superpowers complaining that the world fear them.

...So are attractive minorities not persecuted or what?

Of course that mutants who have unusual appearances get it worse. It's not like that's something that never gets explored.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

Uncontrollably shooting beams from your eyes that can level a house with a glance is not the same as having a different skin colour!
    In fact, a lot of traits commonly attributed to human ethnicities ("all black people are great dancers", "East Asians all know martial arts", "gay men are so stylish") are complete bollocks, and can actually be pretty harmful, because it's basically mainstream society imposing a niche on people in that group.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

So, you're saying people should change who they are, genetically even, because other people are racist, stupid or evil?

Hell, maybe the people in Nazi Germany that rather than just follow orders and say Hail Hitler! decided to rebel were stupid? I mean, if they weren't someone that was obviously a part of a persecuted group, they could just take the easy way out, like you said. Likewise, all the people that decided and still decide to fight oppressive regimes even risking their lives to do so are obviously very dumb.

And how about people from persecuted religions? Maybe the Jewish could avoid millennia of persecution by simply converting to other religions and let their culture die. Christians in Rome would be better off forgetting about that Jesus fellow as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    The minority metaphor is offensive, when the people show on page as persecuted all look like super models and are almost exclusively white. That japanese guy from Warren Ellis run, was on some level right, the X-Men are basically a bunch of super hot people with superpowers complaining that the world fear them.
    I guess you missed the part about mutantkind suffering an Holocaust (hell, two with M-Day killing more than a million) and only narrowly avoiding many others, exactly because of the actions of the X-men. I'm pretty sure a lot of people that suffered persecution in many oppressive regimes were quite good looking too. Plus, there are many mutants that clearly don't look like models, like the Morlocks, some of them in the team as well- like Beast, Nightcrawler, Chamber, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Pretty much yeah.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules