Page 210 of 668 FirstFirst ... 110160200206207208209210211212213214220260310 ... LastLast
Results 3,136 to 3,150 of 10013

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    Hated Bendis handling of almost every X-character he touched, he has good ideas. But his execution was almost always forced, his scripts consistently had characters OOC, the decisions he had characters make seem mostly for controversy. I respect what he did for the X-men during that period as he brought a lot of attention to the franchise and he did a lot with Jean. However he as a writer has always been annoying because he has a great deal of knowledge of continuity, yet he blatantly ignores it to tell stories that are almost always imo worse because he ignores glaring plotholes.

Case and point the extended period of time it took Jean to mastery her powers for story reasons...yet Rachel was literally living in the same mansion with her, was incredibly equipped to deal with an "out of control" Jean. But because that wasn't the story he wanted to tell, he ignores her for most his run only to then have Emma train her when her own daughter was ready and available throughout his entire run.
    I don't think this is unpopular at all.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I was watching the first X-men movie trilogy and i really loved Patrick Stewart's Profesor X.
    It is sad how much of a jerk Xavier has been made into the books. He can be a nice father figure when writers aren't making him do shady stuff for reasons (that should be what Magneto is for)

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I was watching the first X-men movie trilogy and i really loved Patrick Stewart's Profesor X.
    It is sad how much of a jerk Xavier has been made into the books. He can be a nice father figure when writers aren't making him do shady stuff for reasons (that should be what Magneto is for)
    A couple of observations, jerk-ass Xavier predates cool-dad Xavier, by a lot. It is by far the better version of the character but not his origin.
    Second, its very early but to me I honestly think DoX is starting to move Xavier back more towards the Patrick Stewart interpretation. It is by no means there yet (still way early and I could just be wrong) and Xavier is still, and has always been, full of secrets and slightly full of ****, but he's way more of a loving father figure now than he's been in a long while. Also several characters who would be in the know (Moira, Magneto, Jean and the opening X-Force run), still refer back to his love of his people and of the humans.
    Last edited by Kisinith; 12-20-2019 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    A couple of observations, jerk-ass Xavier predates cool-dad Xavier, by a lot. It is by far the better version of the character but not his origin.
    Second, its very early but to me I honestly think DoX is starting to move Xavier back more towards the Patrick Stewart interpretation. It is by no means there yet (still way early and I could just be wrong) and Xavier is still, and has always been, full of secrets and slightly full of ****, but he's way more of a loving father figure now than he's been in a long while. Also several characters who would be in the know (Moira, Magneto, Jean and the opening X-Force run), still refer back to his love of his people and of the humans.
    His love and kindness can sometimes feel more told than shown. I partially blame his new design. There are moments where I think he's supposed to be sincere with the nice things he's saying, but that helmet design just makes him looks sinister. Its artistic shorthand to make a character look shifty or dark by not showing their eyes. Have a character appear from the nose down, or looking away and having just their eyes covered. Its the 'eyes are the window into the soul' thing. Cyclops sometimes has this problem too, but they used to show him in civvies, which let his face emote more.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Krystal from 2099 needs to get bumped waaaaaaay up in popularity above most of these hoes.

I liked how she was a Black Panther from Oakland. That was cool.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    His love and kindness can sometimes feel more told than shown. I partially blame his new design. There are moments where I think he's supposed to be sincere with the nice things he's saying, but that helmet design just makes him looks sinister. Its artistic shorthand to make a character look shifty or dark by not showing their eyes. Have a character appear from the nose down, or looking away and having just their eyes covered. Its the 'eyes are the window into the soul' thing. Cyclops sometimes has this problem too, but they used to show him in civvies, which let his face emote more.
    I must admit that's also a part of my dislike of the character now, this face covered all the time.
    It creates a distance and it would be logical that the other characters must be wary of him and be dampened to interact with him.

I like neither "jerk-ass Xavier" nor "cool-dad Xavier". Both are just caricatures of a person that can be interesting and complex.
    I dislike a Xavier that is not reluctant to use violence too. To me, a telepath is able to know the motivations of everyone, so he is situated in a point of equilibrium. Current Xavier is too aligned with Magneto for my taste. (Magneto who can be a character more subtle and more 'human' too)
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by hulkling View Post
    That must be a retcon. Longevity has never been a power of Magneto .

Edit : I am sorry I didn’t get that this thread was about head canon
    Not really, just a logical expansion of his natural abilities. When you control radiation it comes with benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Botox is a fundamental force?
    This must be the wittiest remark I've seen on this site. Impressive.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    Not really, just a logical expansion of his natural abilities. When you control radiation it comes with benefits.

This must be the wittiest remark I've seen on this site. Impressive.
    adamtrmm, is that you? Or is it someone else I guess.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop_ View Post
    adamtrmm, is that you? Or is it someone else I guess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop_ View Post

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    He was a serious jerk by the Dark Phoenix Saga era, when I was most drawn to the books, even if not borderline villainous like he has been at times since, so I go the opposite of those who formed their impression of him from Patrick Stewart's movie version and expect 'cool-dad' or 'kindly grandfather' Xavier.

I think he's the worst in the original run. Faked his death multiple times(once just as a test for his students!), ran his teenagers through the Danger Room like a drill sergent. Mindwiping left and right(whole towns at a time).

Claremont's Xavier was largely nicer, though he would occasionally lean into the meanness to dramatic hyperbole.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Xavier started to lose his "jerkness" after Jean died and later when he thought all the X-Men were dead. That was the turning point for his character. He was always a lot more kind and understanding to the New Mutants than he was to the X-Men.