Page 334 of 663 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338344384434 ... LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 9936
    Astonishing Member

Moira wasn't wrong to offer a cure. If someone got turned into a monster like Beak they'd probably want it. Killing her because she's offering someone the chance to erase their "cultural identity" is childish and unnecessary. Mutations are frequently a blight on any normal person's life and in more than a few instances their prospects to live better would increase if their X-gene were deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by chief12d View Post
    Moira wasn't wrong to offer a cure. If someone got turned into a monster like Beak they'd probably want it. Killing her because she's offering someone the chance to erase their "cultural identity" is childish and unnecessary. Mutations are frequently a blight on any normal person's life and in more than a few instances their prospects to live better would increase if their X-gene were deleted.
    That just reminds me of this classic exchange.

Extraordinary Member

But try explaining that to someone like Magneto, Mystique, Apocalypse or Destiny....as Moira did.

I think it’s a good thing to offer the possibity of change to a human being. It gives him/her the possibility to exercise his/her free will.

I don’t understand how it can be seen as something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    But try explaining that to someone like Magneto, Mystique, Apocalypse or Destiny....as Moira did.
    Less mutants, it’s fewer soldiers on their side…
    Last edited by Zelena; 09-02-2020 at 02:05 PM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That just reminds me of this classic exchange.

Lol it's really not a difficult concept. Imagine burning alive a brilliant doctor who's offering to help fix a dude with eyes all over his body because you want to preserve your own cultural identity. If Mystique didn't want the cure, great, but dashing that hope from hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people that don't have sexy powers is the epitome of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I think it’s a good thing to offer the possibity of change to a human being. It gives him/her the possibility to exercise his/her free will.

I don’t understand how it can be seen as something wrong.
    It could almost be like a metaphor for someone being born with a body that they don’t feel is really what they are.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    That's not the reason why she was immolated, though. Destiny gives her the real reason why she's going to die.
    I suggest some of you reread that HoX 02 issue. Read and understand carefully the words Destiny uses and not just what you interpret her "meaning" to be. The Humans taking her discovery and using it to wipe out all mutants is a certainty.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 09-02-2020 at 02:09 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    That's not the reason why she was immolated, though. Destiny gives her the real reason why she's going to die.
    I suggest some of you reread that HoX 02 issue. Read and understand carefully the words Destiny uses and not just what you interpret her "meaning" to be. The Humans taking her discovery and using it to wipe out all mutants is a certainty.
    Not really. In the current 616, Dr Rao had pretty much the same cure. Lots of things happened. But mutant kind is still here.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    By the way.
    The disability metaphor has also become somewhat problematic with Decimiation, because Ex-Mutants essentialy became a metaphor for disability too. So basicly both having problematic powers and not having powers at all anymore essentialy filled the same metaphor.

And if being depowered is akin to being disabled, what does that make the Crucible? Telling people with disabilities they should die and hope they get reborn in healthy bodies?
    That's not how I interpret depowered mutants, I don't think it really fits. When mutants are used as a metaphor for disability representation, it is the mutation that acts in place of the disability and societal lack of access and accommodation for mutations represents similar experiences in the disabled community. In this scenario depowering a mutant would be more akin to somehow removing a disability, which doesn't really have a parallel in the real world. To me, depowered mutants are more similar to real persecuted people who have been forcibly separated from their culture. In real life this is seen when colonizers force indigenous people to assimilate to their cultural practices and beliefs, often enforced by penalty of law. Another example would be when the children of a persecuted people are forcibly removed from their parents and placed into the dominant culture. In these cases the Crucible would be more similar to cultural reclamation.

The vast majority of mutations are beneficial. According to the psuedoscience behind it, they are meant to enhance the species' chances for survival. That said, mutations that cause a character harm are usually used as a metaphor for disabilities. The point isn't to erase the "harmful" mutation (disability) it is to point out the discrimination it causes, and the lack of accessibility to education about their mutation that causes harm or lack of control, or the lack of accommodation for mitigating any harmful effects of the mutation.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I mean of course it's a certainty, that's what the narrative of the X-Men demands. If a cure was offered without any potential drawbacks it would require a number of contrivances to justify why all but a handful of mutants choose not to take it. So rather than grapple with what would ultimately be a boring story, X-writers make humans cartoonishly evil to the point they'd rather slaughter millions of mutants than just cure them. It's a more compelling status quo, but in a more realistic sense (which was the topic of conversation) it's ridiculous.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    That's not how I interpret depowered mutants, I don't think it really fits. When mutants are used as a metaphor for disability representation, it is the mutation that acts in place of the disability and societal lack of access and accommodation for mutations represents similar experiences in the disabled community. In this scenario depowering a mutant would be more akin to somehow removing a disability, which doesn't really have a parallel in the real world. To me, depowered mutants are more similar to real persecuted people who have been forcibly separated from their culture. In real life this is seen when colonizers force indigenous people to assimilate to their cultural practices and beliefs, often enforced by penalty of law. Another example would be when the children of a persecuted people are forcibly removed from their parents and placed into the dominant culture. In these cases the Crucible would be more similar to cultural reclamation.

The vast majority of mutations are beneficial. According to the psuedoscience behind it, they are meant to enhance the species' chances for survival. That said, mutations that cause a character harm are usually used as a metaphor for disabilities. The point isn't to erase the "harmful" mutation (disability) it is to point out the discrimination it causes, and the lack of accessibility to education about their mutation that causes harm or lack of control, or the lack of accommodation for mitigating any harmful effects of the mutation.
    What does whether their beneficial or not have to do with whether or not an individual wants to have eyes all over their body? From a collective evolutionary standpoint I'm sure such a weirdo would be of value to humanity (assuming he/she can even find a mate and pass those genes on). But on an individual level that mutation is a net negative in terms of quality of life.

All I'm saying is that if that person wanted to change their stock in life by removing the gene responsible for their inevitable isolation/oppression they should be able to do so. Not everyone is going to want that, as maybe they'd want to educate themselves about their powers. Maybe they can't imagine a life without their additional "features" and want to control them better. Not every mutant is going to have the same journey, but the notion that a cure is inherently wrong seems a bit strange.
    Last edited by chief12d; 09-02-2020 at 02:38 PM.

What does whether their beneficial or not have to do with whether or not an individual wants to have eyes all over their body? From a collective evolutionary standpoint I'm sure such a weirdo would be of value to humanity (assuming he/she can even find a mate and pass those genes on). But on an individual level such a mutation is a net negative in terms of quality of life.
    Beneficial, as in does not cause harm or negative effects.

As for the example you keep going to, Eye Boy doesn't appear to be suffering to me, in fact he seems remarkably well adjusted. He also used to date Nature Girl.

All I'm saying is that if that person wanted to change their stock in life by removing the gene responsible for their inevitable isolation/oppression they should be able to do so. Not everyone is going to want that, as maybe they'd want to educate themselves about their powers. Maybe they can't imagine a life without their additional "features" and want to control them better. Not every mutant is going to have the same journey, but the notion that a cure is inherently wrong seems a bit strange.
    The problem for me is that knowing what I do about the way the dominant culture treats those who are different, I doubt very much that any cure would be optional for very long.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It could almost be like a metaphor for someone being born with a body that they don’t feel is really what they are.
    So, mutants seeking a cure as a trans metaphor? I suppose that could work, but I don't envy any writer who would try to pull it off.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Beneficial, as in does not cause harm or negative effects.

As for the example you keep going to, Eye Boy doesn't appear to be suffering to me, in fact he seems remarkably well adjusted. He also used to date Nature Girl.

The problem for me is that knowing what I do about the way the dominant culture treats those who are different, I doubt very much that any cure would be optional for very long.
    Having multiple eyes, a shark for a head, or a tongue the length of jump rope may not be harmful biologically but it is a recipe for social isolation (among humans). That's my point, whether they're medically sound or not is irrelevant, it's the interpersonal ramifications that average mutants would consider when getting a cure.

Eye Boy isn't suffering because he found the X-Men and fraternizes primarily with those like him. The existence of a subculture for freaks is a hallmark of what makes the X-Men franchise what it is. A person like Eye Boy would struggle immensely in human society and as such can only really find acceptance among his own people.

And if for whatever reason he decided he was sick of the attacks on Krakoa and wanted to live a "normal" life he should have the option to get a cure for his mutation from a trusted source. That's not saying every mutation is bad, simply that some are more difficult to live with than others. There would need to be regulations in place so that those who choose to live with their X-gene can do so, but a cure in and of itself is not "genocide" or "erasure".

Having multiple eyes, a shark for a head, or a tongue the length of jump rope may not be harmful biologically but it is a recipe for social isolation (among humans). That's my point, whether they're medically sound or not is irrelevant, it's the interpersonal ramifications that average mutants would consider when getting a cure.

Eye Boy isn't suffering because he found the X-Men and fraternizes primarily with those like him. The existence of a subculture for freaks is a hallmark of what makes the X-Men franchise what it is. A person like Eye Boy would struggle immensely in human society and as such can only really find acceptance among his own people.

And if for whatever reason he decided he was sick of the attacks on Krakoa and wanted to live a "normal" life he should have the option to get a cure for his mutation from a trusted source. That's not saying every mutation is bad, simply that some are more difficult to live with than others. There would need to be regulations in place so that those who choose to live with their X-gene can do so, but a cure in and of itself is not "genocide" or "erasure".
    At this point his eyes are an integral part of his senses. Him taking a cure would be like you choosing to have one of your eyes gouged out. You'll still be able to see but not at the capacity that you've been accustomed to. At that point is it worth it to maim oneself so that others can feel comfortable around them?