Page 482 of 657 FirstFirst ... 382432472478479480481482483484485486492532582 ... LastLast
Results 7,216 to 7,230 of 9841

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    The basic concept of this run feels claustrophobic to me: the glorification of the “between oneself”. In our multicultural societies, it’s a dangerous path…

white people been doing it and still doing it for centuries. Cops do it with the wall of blue. in the real world it is wrong if that is what it is but in fiction at least it's up for interpretation.

It doesn't surprise me that people are acting brand new about these concepts but it is interesting seeing it from the other side. It only seems to matter when it's the minority tries to find a safe space after being locked out all the spaces. then all of a sudden it's like "but it's not fair." but the difference is one side had an actual choice.
    Last edited by jwatson; 04-08-2021 at 12:13 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    white people been doing it and still doing it for centuries. Cops do it with the wall of blue. in the real world it is wrong if that is what it is but in fiction at least it's up for interpretation.

It doesn't surprise me that people are acting brand new about these concepts but it is interesting seeing it from the other side. It only seems to matter when it's the minority tries to find a safe space after being locked out all the spaces. then all of a sudden it's like "but it's not fair." but the difference is one side had an actual choice.
    Truth! You try to save Black Lives matter then some RUSH to say All Lives Matter. Have Black History Month than you get people asking where is White History month. Its ironic that none of these people get how lucky they are that they don't HAVE to have those safe spaces while they are crying about minorities having them.

Krakoa is controversial but I like that. It's worth exploring and I hope it sticks around awhile so it can be explored to its fullest potential before the inevitable return to the status quo we all know will come again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    The basic concept of this run feels claustrophobic to me: the glorification of the “between oneself”. In our multicultural societies, it’s a dangerous path…
    Agree. Krakoa concept is so limiting instead of expanding

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

whoops wrong thread
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 04-08-2021 at 02:41 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Yes ,that is why I loved Craig Kyle and Chris Yost combo, guys had synergy. Though I guess it's all about finding the right combo between the writers, not all combinations work.

I thought they worked well together as well although I'll never forgive them for their take on the DPS on WATX the animated series. Such a complete utter lack of understanding of the original concept and removed Jean for most the story to give the narrative arc to Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by KylunFan View Post

I don't see the appeal of John Cassady's art on Astonishing... even people who don't love Whedon usually say complimentary stuff about the art... but it's not my cup of tea in the slightest.

I personally thought Cassady's art helped defined that era and gave Whedon's book a distinct and unique visual something we didn't get a ton of at the time especially on X-books. His Emma was literally one of the best designs of the last 20 years what he did for her character some characters never receive in the entirety of their runs. He created her look and identity which remained for years to come and that cape design continues to be one of my favorite in all of comicdom.

That said he was the absolute WORST artist to put on Uncanny Avengers Remender needed someone new, fluid, and innovative. Cassady's art did not match his style, at all that and his late work as well as Remender questionable scripts hurt what could and should have been a fondly remembered concept!
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 04-08-2021 at 08:28 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Getting rid of the sliding timeline isn't even desirable in my opinion. For the most part, we only ever get 12, 20 page issues a year from a title. Especially given decompressed storytelling, there's no way those 12 issues are actually going to cover a whole year's worth of events. These characters exist in a mental space; they shouldn't be constrained by temporal forces as we normally experience them. Let their stories stretch out as long as there are stories to tell.
    Exactly. In the comic strip, Dick Tracy isn't superhuman, but he's been published since 1931, but he's become a grandfather (with Junior's kids Jewel in 1988 and Trey in 2015), but he's still depicted as active as he was in the '30s.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Truth! You try to save Black Lives matter then some RUSH to say All Lives Matter. Have Black History Month than you get people asking where is White History month. Its ironic that none of these people get how lucky they are that they don't HAVE to have those safe spaces while they are crying about minorities having them.

Krakoa is controversial but I like that. It's worth exploring and I hope it sticks around awhile so it can be explored to its fullest potential before the inevitable return to the status quo we all know will come again.
    It’s because white people have been told from birth not to glorify in their race. This is both a good thing and a bad thing. The good thing is obvious as white supremacy is a stain on history and we will feel its effects for centuries still to come. The bad is that white people in general have trouble being able to identify with other races that do identify with their race on a macro level. Obviously, not all white people are racists and not all white people think this way. In order to get to a place to be able to talk honestly about race, we have to establish this as a fact. You ask the average white person and they will tell you they never really talk about being white as part of their identity. So, for them to have a knee jerk reaction to things like black lives matter, is to be expected. Sadly, we live in a time where white supremacy is creeping its evil head again so i think it is worth the time in trying to separate the two trains of thought as one is misguided and the latter is just plain evil. On the message of krakoa, i think the fact that it is morally ambiguous is done on purpose. I think it creates the possible scenario of mutant supremacy but ultimately i think this will be an idea that is rejected by the majority of mutants who want nothing else than to just be at peace with humans. There is also the underbelly of krakoa, in which all is not right and the quiet council and others pull strings in secrecy which will come into fruition later. I think its done on purpose as all movements have the capacity for corruption as mutants or humans are both flawed creatures. Some say the ends justify the means but that is usually spoken by someone who could not be bothered with finding a diplomatic solution. The xmen are the heroes of mutants and humans alike and i think we will see just how all these philosophies will clash in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I thought they worked well together as well although I'll never forgive them for their take on the DPS on WATX the animated series. Such a complete utter lack of understanding of the original concept and removed Jean for most the story to give the narrative arc to Emma.

!
    it was probably the idea of someone else, Yost or Kyle said that Jean was his favorite character

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Agree. Krakoa concept is so limiting instead of expanding
    Idk about that but I do hope the Hellfire Gala will be the start of humans and mutants consistently cooperation rather than every other issue the X-Men forget that they actually are friends with the other heroes on Earth. Thank God the Champions crossover wasn't about Cyclops kicking them to the curb since non-mutants are the enemy or whatever

The Hellfire Gala is a terrible idea.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    The Hellfire Gala is a terrible idea.
    Care to expound on that? Terrible from an in universe perspective or as a comic book event?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Care to expound on that? Terrible from an in universe perspective or as a comic book event?
    It's mildly annoying in-universe (why emulate the excess of modern human culture? Unless I'm missing something) but to follow up XoS so soon with this is ridiculous.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    It's mildly annoying in-universe (why emulate the excess of modern human culture? Unless I'm missing something) but to follow up XoS so soon with this is ridiculous.
    I mean XoS got delayed so without them pandemic they would have been further apart (I think). Also this is only a month and doesn’t seem like a real crossover so much easier to skip or ignore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I mean XoS got delayed so without them pandemic they would have been further apart (I think). Also this is only a month and doesn’t seem like a real crossover so much easier to skip or ignore.
    I dont think so. Without the delay, the Gala likely would have happened sooner. Im fine with the timing. XOS ended with Jean and Scott wanting to reform the X-men and without that being an active plotline, it would have been tiring dragging that out for almost a year

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I dont think so. Without the delay, the Gala likely would have happened sooner. Im fine with the timing. XOS ended with Jean and Scott wanting to reform the X-men and without that being an active plotline, it would have been tiring dragging that out for almost a year
    Well Xos was originally coming out in june/july and was only going to be 12 chapters. The pandemic delayed it for a few months and the event doubled in size by editorial demand. Hellfire gala was going to happen even before the pandemic even started and Duggan had planted seeds in Marauders.