Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bobby Drake: The Iceman Appreciation 2024

This thread is for discussion on Iceman, Bobby Drake, founding member of the X-Men!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    This thread is for discussion on Iceman, Bobby Drake, founding member of the X-Men!

I actually used to watch this when I was a kid. But I didn't read comics yet.

Hello, fellow Iceman fans. How do you feel about Bobby's relationship with his father? Should his dad not accept him? Did you like Lobdell's take? Like something more complex? I actually liked Lobdell's take and them burying the hatchet. I'm not particularly a fan of Lu's retcon of Lobdell's work. I felt it was going backwards. Thoughts?

Iceman by Mike Deodato.

Todd Nauck.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I can't believe there wasn't a 2024 Appreciation Thread for Bobby! I can't wait to see where he ends up in From the Ashes, hopefully he will be in one of the upcoming team books as a regular.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post

Hello, fellow Iceman fans. How do you feel about Bobby's relationship with his father? Should his dad not accept him? Did you like Lobdell's take? Like something more complex? I actually liked Lobdell's take and them burying the hatchet. I'm not particularly a fan of Lu's retcon of Lobdell's work. I felt it was going backwards. Thoughts?

I liked where it was goind under Lobdell and the latest takes were kinda going backwards indeed. Even with his mom.
    His dad is dead now so there won't be any reconciliation there.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I can't believe there wasn't a 2024 Appreciation Thread for Bobby! I can't wait to see where he ends up in From the Ashes, hopefully he will be in one of the upcoming team books as a regular.
    Probably X-factor. And Simone did hint that maybe other X-men Gold members would also get solos down the line. If that’s truly the case, I think Iceman is the next in line after Jean and Storm.

He needs to team up with or fight Bradley Kroon - Icemaster - who doesn’t have an origin and could be a mutant.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    He needs to team up with or fight Bradley Kroon - Icemaster - who doesn’t have an origin and could be a mutant.
    ha! That would be a fight worth watching. I hope it happens sooner rather than later. And I hope that they are not related.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post

Hypestyle, thanks for doing this thread! I though about doing one but there didn't seem to be enough interest to support the one last year.

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was my introduction to both Iceman and Marvel, so I could not be more excited about today's announcement of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends '84. I thought Marvel would brings back back X-Men Evolution for another season before SMAHAF. The big shocker was that spoilers:
    this is an April Fool's prank
    end of spoilers. Who saw that coming?!

I wasn't exactly thrilled with Scott Lobdell making Bobby's dad a bigot to start with, something he wasn't depicted as prior to that. But we got some good stuff out of it and it worked for the benefit of Bobby's character so I made my peace with it. I don't feel that Marjorie Liu retonned anything, she just showed that a lot of the underlying hurts and feelings were still there under the surface. That stuff doesn't just magically go away, and sometimes it only takes one person or even both people having a bad day to bring it all back up, and Bobby was having a particularly bad day...

I was less thrilled that Sina Grace made current-Bobby's mom something of a bigot, too, or that Luciano Vecchio killed off Bobby's dad in Marvel's Voices: Infinity Comic #2, in a story most fans will never even read. I haven't cared for much that has been done with Iceman solo-wise since about halfway through Grace's initial run.

Right now my interest as far as Iceman is laser focused on him hopefully returning and becoming the Dragon in the coming months(probably in X-Men Forever).

Bobby became famous, then infamous, now he may finally be poised to become legendary!
    Last edited by Icefanatic; 04-01-2024 at 04:26 PM.
    Become an Iceman Dragonian...

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Hypestyle, thanks for doing this thread! I though about doing one but there didn't seem to be enough interest to support the one last year.

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was my introduction to both Iceman and Marvel, so I could not be more excited about today's announcement of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends '84. I thought Marvel would brings back back X-Men Evolution for another season before SMAHAF. The big shocker was that spoilers:

I wasn't exactly thrilled with Scott Lobdell making Bobby's dad a bigot to start with, something he wasn't depicted as prior to that. But we got some good stuff out of it and it worked for the benefit of Bobby's character so I made my peace with it. I don't feel that Marjorie Liu retonned anything, she just showed that a lot of the underlying hurts and feelings were still there under the surface. That stuff doesn't just magically go away, and sometimes it only takes one person or even both people having a bad day to bring it all back up, and Bobby was having a particularly bad day...

I was less thrilled that Sina Grace made current-Bobby's mom something of a bigot, too, or that Luciano Vecchio killed off Bobby's dad in Marvel's Voices: Infinity Comic #2, in a story most fans will never even read. I haven't cared for much that has been done with Iceman solo-wise since about halfway through Grace's initial run.

Right now my interest as far as Iceman is laser focused on him hopefully returning and becoming the Dragon in the coming months(probably in X-Men Forever).

Bobby became famous, then infamous, now he may finally be poised to become legendary!
    Ha! If only there were a SM&HAF 84 cartoon show and a comic. I'd love to write for both, lol.

Hmmm... I swear his father was portrayed as a bigot during New Defenders. But I guess I was wrong. Anyway, Bobby burying the hatchet with his father, even if Lobdell is the one who made him racist, I actually liked that development and think it fleshed out Bobby's character. I think making his parents bigots and they keep returning to it is because of Claremont's back - up story in Classic X-Men # 1 which portrayed Bobby as prejudiced. I loved the Claremont back-up stories but I could never get behind his portrayal of Bobby. Supposedly CC didn't like the character. If you don't like a character simply don't use him. I see no need for character assassination. I didn't like them killing off Bobby's father. I wanted him to interact with his parents again but that would not have happened anyway, I guess, since they were both made prejudiced again. Oh, well...

Good to hear about the new Spider-Man cartoon. I too was introduced to Iceman through the original cartoon, though, I admit, I didn't become a fan until I started reading comics.

As far as series' goes I was disappointed with the latest series, though it had some fun bits, it could have been way more impactful.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-01-2024 at 08:22 PM.

Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends was my introduction to both Iceman and Marvel, so I could not be more excited about today's announcement of Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends '84. The big shocker was that spoilers:
    I really want this now.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Hmmm... I swear his father was portrayed as a bigot during New Defenders. But I guess I was wrong. Anyway, Bobby burying the hatchet with his father, even if Lobdell is the one who made him racist, I actually liked that development and think it fleshed out Bobby's character. I think making his parents bigots and they keep returning to it is because of Claremont's back - up story in Classic X-Men # 1 which portrayed Bobby as prejudiced. I loved the Claremont back-up stories but I could never get behind his portrayal of Bobby. Supposedly CC didn't like the character. If you don't like a character simply don't use him. I see no need for character assassination. I didn't like them killing off Bobby's father. I wanted him to interact with his parents again but that would not have happened anyway, I guess, since they were both made prejudiced again. Oh, well...

Good to hear about the new Spider-Man cartoon. I too was introduced to Iceman through the original cartoon, though, I admit, I didn't become a fan until I started reading comics.

As far as series' goes I was disappointed with the latest series, though it had some fun bits, it could have been way more impactful.
    During the 1980s, I was kind of upset that Iceman (and Firestar) was not a part of the main X-Men team. I had to settle for the New Defenders, but I was glad that X-Factor came out by 1986.

Astonishing Member

Iceman was my favorite part of Spider-Man and his amazing friends. I thought they portrayed him pretty well -- and his ice powers are always visually exciting. I'm hoping he shows up in the new X-Factor. While I had long though Iceman would have been a good Defenders member after Champions folded, I didn't like the particular iteration when he was a member. He would have worked better with the classic lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Iceman was my favorite part of Spider-Man and his amazing friends. I thought they portrayed him pretty well -- and his ice powers are always visually exciting. I'm hoping he shows up in the new X-Factor. While I had long though Iceman would have been a good Defenders member after Champions folded, I didn't like the particular iteration when he was a member. He would have worked better with the classic lineup.
    I don't remember much of him (besides his issues with Cloud, that with hindsight and Bobby's coming out, might make more sense than how it was intended at the time) but coming out of the Champions it was a fresh breath of air. For as much as I remember, Bobby got a very bad characterization in the Champions.
    Too bad, because in every reunion of the group, the team showed to have potential.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.