Page 136 of 657 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146186236636 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 9845

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    that makes him keeping her powers shut down for as long as he did even worse. Was he trying to prevent her from learning that he had a thing for her?

He was also initially resentful of Jean and Scott when they announced they were getting married. Everyone was happy for them except Xavier

Attachment 85989
    I think Xavier was engaged in a vast conspiracy to prevent Jean from every accessing her full powers:
    1. Xavier blocked Jean's tragic memories instead of helping her come to terms with them.
    2. Xavier blocked Jean's telepathy
    3. Xavier restricted Jean's telekinesis
    4. When Magento captured the young Emma Frost and tried to user her to weaponize Cerebro, Xavier put Emma Frost back in the asylum instead of letting her join the X-Men. Probably to keep her from reading his mind and keep her from unblocking Jean's powers and memories.
    5. While Emma was in a coma, how do we know that Xavier didn't meddle with Emma to make sure Emma never tried to help or work with Jean.

I am sure I could come up with more stuff, Xavier is creepy, especially with female telepaths!

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Unpopular opinion
    For some reason people really like to exaggerate anything Xavier or Beast do and not even the worst of them can't top things done by fan favorites like Emma, Cyclops, Wolverine or even Jean.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 08-20-2019 at 09:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    Unpopular opinion
    For some reason people really like to exaggerate anything Xavier or Beast do and not even the worst of them can top things done by fan favorites like Emma, Cyclops, Wolverine or even Jean.
    In the end the X-Men is just one big soap opera. One week Xavier is the hero, then next month he is kind of creepy and villainous. It's not like the other characters haven't had their bad and good moments. It's a big giant soap opera with a huge cast of characters.

It's funny how much I like the soapiness of the X-Men franchise, all the character drama often drives the stories more than the action does.

Unpopular opinion
    For some reason people really like to exaggerate anything Xavier or Beast do and not even the worst of them can top things done by fan favorites like Emma, Cyclops, Wolverine or even Jean.
    It depends on your definition of worst bc Xavier has done worse than those character except arguably Wolverine and Emma. Jean? If you are talking DPS, she was mentally ill and lost her agency. Xavier doesnt have that excuse except for Onslaught. Scott's worst offense also happened when he was corrupted by the PF. Xavier had full agency as he plotted and abused his power

Unpopular opinion
    Emma and Wolverine have always been pretty up front about being willing to play dirty for the greater good. I think a good case could even be made for Cyclops being willing to do whatever it takes so long as his people make it through. But for a really long time, Xavier and Beast were some of the first characters you'd expect to lecture folks on ethics, morality, etc. Both have even been the public face of mutancy at one point or another. When characters like that cross a line, it's not just about the failing itself, it's about the hypocrisy involved. So a bigger deal does get made of their sins.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 08-20-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Emma and Wolverine have always been pretty up front about being willing to play dirty for the greater good. I think a good case could even be made for Cyclops willing to do whatever it takes so long as his people make it through. But for a really long time, Xavier and Beast were some of the first characters you'd expect to lecture folks on ethics, morality, etc. Both have even been the public face for mutancy at one point or another. When characters like that cross a line, it's not just about the failing itself, it's about the hypocrisy involved. So a bigger deal does get made of their sins.
    I loved your post. It's true about Emma, Logan, and Scott, they don't mince words about their own actions and they don't hide the fact that they play dirty or have played dirty. But Xavier pretends that he doesn't ever play dirty and tries to make everyone feel guilty for suspecting him.

Emma and Wolverine have always been pretty up front about being willing to play dirty for the greater good. I think a good case could even be made for Cyclops willing to do whatever it takes so long as his people make it through. But for a really long time, Xavier and Beast were some of the first characters you'd expect to lecture folks on ethics, morality, etc. Both have even been the public face for mutancy at one point or another. When characters like that cross a line, it's not just about the failing itself, it's about the hypocrisy involved. So a bigger deal does get made of their sins.
    For me that is a huge part of it. Hank was judgmental over Scott's X-Force for ages, but when he found out that Logan restarted it he waved it off like it was nothing.

I know Logan is a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to killing, but in a very understandable way - he is of the belief that he can prevent as many people as possible by having to go down his road if he keeps doing it. There is something both sad and noble to that sentiment that makes it both very believable and sympathetic at the same time.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I wasn't bashing Emma, Cyclops, Wolverine or Jean. Just pointing that people defend their actions but have no mercy or even exaggerate everything when it comes to Xavier and Beast. They are not perfect but they are way more good than bad.

Emma and Wolverine have always been pretty up front about being willing to play dirty for the greater good. I think a good case could even be made for Cyclops being willing to do whatever it takes so long as his people make it through. But for a really long time, Xavier and Beast were some of the first characters you'd expect to lecture folks on ethics, morality, etc. Both have even been the public face of mutancy at one point or another. When characters like that cross a line, it's not just about the failing itself, it's about the hypocrisy involved. So a bigger deal does get made of their sins.
    Bein hypocrite can make some actions worse than what they are but even with that there are worst things people defend.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    For me that is a huge part of it. Hank was judgmental over Scott's X-Force for ages, but when he found out that Logan restarted it he waved it off like it was nothing.

I know Logan is a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to killing, but in a very understandable way - he is of the belief that he can prevent as many people as possible by having to go down his road if he keeps doing it. There is something both sad and noble to that sentiment that makes it both very believable and sympathetic at the same time.
    The problem is making Logan a figurehead to force the conflict of Scott. He had NO business leading one side of Schism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The problem is making Logan a figurehead to force the conflict of Scott. He had NO business leading one side of Schism.
    the way they were setting things up, I wonder if it would have made more sense for it to have been Beast. That would have been the true breakup of the Original X-men but I guess Logan is more marketable than Beast so he was thrust in that role

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    the way they were setting things up, I wonder if it would have made more sense for it to have been Beast. That would have been the true breakup of the Original X-men but I guess Logan is more marketable than Beast so he was thrust in that role
    Hank had also gone so far down the rrrrhate hole that it was like watching the most polarized of politicians. By the end, Hank was opposed to anything Scott did for no other reason than Scott did it. If Scott suggested a suicide prevention initiative Hank may have put a gun to his own temple before Scott was finished talking.

Plus, for Schism to hit as hard as they wanted it to hit, it couldn't be someone already at the splitting point like Hank, it had to be someone who started the story on the same side as Scott. As it stands, that storyline seems to be a perfect example of how NOT to set up conflict.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Unpopular opinion
    For some reason people really like to exaggerate anything Xavier or Beast do and not even the worst of them can't top things done by fan favorites like Emma, Cyclops, Wolverine or even Jean.
    ???

Beast and Xavier's worst acts EASILY eclipse the worst of Jean, Scott, Emma, or Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Hank had also gone so far down the rrrrhate hole that it was like watching the most polarized of politicians. By the end, Hank was opposed to anything Scott did for no other reason than Scott did it. If Scott suggested a suicide prevention initiative Hank may have put a gun to his own temple before Scott was finished talking.

Plus, for Schism to hit as hard as they wanted it to hit, it couldn't be someone already at the splitting point like Hank, it had to be someone who started the story on the same side as Scott. As it stands, that storyline seems to be a perfect example of how NOT to set up conflict.
    Logan actions made some sense at the time, mostly for stuff that happened in Way's and Aaron's run with the character and considering that he wasn't personally close to Scott i can see him easily misinterpreting some of his actions. he was an hypocrite (and i'm pretty sure that he was aware of that), but i can see him getting to that conclusion, even if it doesn't justify his actions. My problem with that conflict was trying to paint his side as the one with the moral hight ground, that just take away any complexity about him.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    ???

Beast and Xavier's worst acts EASILY eclipse the worst of Jean, Scott, Emma, or Logan.
    The biggest thing that makes Xavier and McCoy worse is that they typically have had their full faculties when they transgressed. Emma did some pretty bad stuff in her villainous days, but nothing worse than a certain maroon loving buckethead has done, and he was trusted to take over the school.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Logan actions made some sense at the time, mostly for stuff that happened in Way's and Aaron's run with the character and considering that he wasn't personally close to Scott i can see him easily misinterpreting some of his actions. he was an hypocrite (and i'm pretty sure that he was aware of that), but i can see him getting to that conclusion, even if it doesn't justify his actions. My problem with that conflict was trying to paint his side as the one with the moral hight ground, that just take away any complexity about him.
    Most of the X-men stories and meta-narratives have been a masterclass in how not to write something ever since Schism. Some of the stuff before that may have had problems, but not to the point where the problems vastly outnumbered the few things that were right. That trend might only be stopping now with Hickman, and given the track record of the last decade, I can't bring myself to have anything more than guarded optimism at best.
    Dark does not mean deep.