Page 336 of 657 FirstFirst ... 236286326332333334335336337338339340346386436 ... LastLast
Results 5,026 to 5,040 of 9846
    Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Warned her about what? Destiny saw alot and she wasnt always sure if what she saw would happen. She was also very secretive and we know she kept alot to herself bc of this
    Warned her that sleeping with Victor would produce Graydon, warn her that abandoning Graydon would cause him to become an anti-mutant bigot and general pain in the ass? i feel like I might have had this conversation before.

All-New Member

I actually liked last stand. I think the way Dark phoenix was portrayed was IMO the best in all of its mediums. The idea that it was just Jean at full power versus this cosmic entity. The story was also pretty good. Easily in my top 3 X-men films.

I also would have preferred if Fox kept the rights to the X-men movie rather then giving them to Disney. First off the MCU already has Inhumans to work with so don't see the point in them needed the mutants. I mean Agents of Shield already set them up really well. Secondly a little competition never hurt anyone and I think it would be better off.

Most importantly I don't think the X-men movies should directly follow the comics. I think the writers taking more liberties would do the franchise good. Rogue shouldn't go Ms. Marvel, Jean should not become possessed by the Phoenix force, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    A neat insight. Mutant cure as trans metaphor.

A story that carried it in the other direction, with a human desperately doing whatever to become a mutant (perhaps where they were going with Children of the Atom?) could bounce into all sorts of similar territory, with some being absolutely genuine, and some just craving kewl powers for whatever (less healthy) reason. Presumably a telepath could weed out the latter, and send the poseurs packing, before sharing a hypothetical 'make more mutants' drug with the real deals.
    this was the U-Men. https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/U-Men_(Earth-616)

But the U-Men went so far as killing and dismembering mutants to graft mutant tissues into themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Warned her that sleeping with Victor would produce Graydon, warn her that abandoning Graydon would cause him to become an anti-mutant bigot and general pain in the ass? i feel like I might have had this conversation before.
    How do you know that raising him wouldnt lead to something catastrophic? Graydon ultimately didnt real do anything damaging to mutantkind like the likes of Cassandara Nova or Scarlet Witch and that might have been better than a possible future were he to be raised by Mystique. We dont know

Extraordinary Member

Weird question.

But by definition is Graydon Creed Homo Superior.

Obviously he’s not a Mutant and has no powers.

But since both his parents are Homo Superior, is he classified as such? Is he considered a genetic disability?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Weird question.

But since both his parents are Homo Superior, is he classified as such? Is he considered a genetic disability?
    He's a human. Only those with an X-gene are Homo Superior. Your parents dont matter

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Weird question.

I try not to think about the genetic classifications because each mutation is so different that it would probability constitute it's own classification, but Marvel obviously tried to simplify it.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    So, you're saying people should change who they are, genetically even, because other people are racist, stupid or evil?

Hell, maybe the people in Nazi Germany that rather than just follow orders and say Hail Hitler! decided to rebel were stupid? I mean, if they weren't someone that was obviously a part of a persecuted group, they could just take the easy way out, like you said. Likewise, all the people that decided and still decide to fight oppressive regimes even risking their lives to do so are obviously very dumb.

And how about people from persecuted religions? Maybe the Jewish could avoid millennia of persecution by simply converting to other religions and let their culture die. Christians in Rome would be better off forgetting about that Jesus fellow as well.
    If the individual so desired, yes.
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Thats asbolutely terrible and sends a poor message. As a black man, I would never take a pill that would make me wake up as white regardless of the discrimination and racism that I face on a regular basis. You are literally stripping away your identity at that point. The problem isnt the person that's different; its with those that hate them for being different. A person should not have to change who they are in order to not be persecuted. Thats highly offensive.
    But if another black man wanted to take the pill, would you deny him access to it?
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Within the context of the Marvel Universe, mutants are a persecuted people based on the expression of a genetic mutation, this expression results in a power. A mutant's power is a large component of their cultural identity. A mutant cure would erase their cultural identity, and could lead to the annihilation of the culture all together (that's called genocide). The people who oppose the idea of a mutant cure are giving real world examples to explain why that idea would be bad in the context of this fictional world (literally, an analogy). They are not giving real world examples because they believe that the mutant metaphor is a perfect analogy for real world persecuted peoples. Also, the claim that they are not born mutants is false, they are born with an inheritable genetic mutation, it's just that the expression of that mutation generally, but not always, occurs at puberty.
    But if you’re raised by humans and think you’re a human until you hit puberty, you are not really part of that culture until you choose to join it. All I’m saying is that if an individual does not want to be a mutant and the means are there, that individual should be allowed to make her/his own choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Exactatiously, DM. This is why I fully and unashamedly endorse Destiny burning Moira to soot and ashes.
    (except...I don't think any of us truly believes the mutant metaphor is a perfect analogy...sometimes it comes close but when directly addressed, it far more often than not falls way short).
    100 pct wrong in my opinion. The individual should have the choice in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    But if another black man wanted to take the pill, would you deny him access to it?
    thats not my decision to make but I'd side eye anyone that does. Skin bleaching is a thing and comes with its own set of criticism and judgement. The solution to racism shouldnt be to completely change your physical self in order to make the racists feel more comfortable about their lives. Doing so validates their hate and invalidates you as a person. Thats my opinion and no one needs to agree with that

At this point his eyes are an integral part of his senses. Him taking a cure would be like you choosing to have one of your eyes gouged out. You'll still be able to see but not at the capacity that you've been accustomed to. At that point is it worth it to maim oneself so that others can feel comfortable around them?
    I don’t know. But what I’m saying is that it should be his choice. The Eye Boy we know (and love?) may be perfectly happy being the way he is. Staying a mutant is his choice. Somebody else could have the same exact powers as Eye Boy and may want to lose the mutation ASAP. If a cure exists, he should be allowed to take it. In my opinion.

What you are describing is discrimination and prejudice. When a marginalized person is harmed by a prejudiced society, it is the prejudiced society which must change, not the marginalized person.

I disagree. Within the fictional world of Marvel, in which mutants are persecuted and have thus developed their own cultural identity, a cure is erasure and can lead to genocide. If a cure was solely regulated by mutants, for mutants, it would still be severing someone from their culture and identity. To use another analogy, what you're describing is similar to conversion therapy for queer people.
    100 pct wrong in my opinion. Yes ideally the persecuting party changes and everyone’s happy. But in my opinion it should be up to the individual to make that choice. Nobody should be forced to be something they don’t want to be if there is an alternative.

I don’t believe the cultural identity is relevant. I think that cultural identity is now only becoming a think for mutants under the age of Hick. But even it was a thing before then, I’d still take prioritise the right of the individual over the hypothetical risk of genocide, especially OTG genocide meaning a reversion to the human state that most Mutants were born as and not the death meaning that is usually a with the word.

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    I don’t know. But what I’m saying is that it should be his choice. The Eye Boy we know (and love?) may be perfectly happy being the way he is. Staying a mutant is his choice. Somebody else could have the same exact powers as Eye Boy and may want to lose the mutation ASAP. If a cure exists, he should be allowed to take it. In my opinion.
    Eyeboy is fine with himself and has fully embraced his abilities. He doesnt have the negative association with his powers that some others do. For him to remove that would be to conform and its not right that he should feel that terrible about how he is viewed that he would need to resort to that. The problem is the people that would mistreat him, not him