Page 366 of 663 FirstFirst ... 266316356362363364365366367368369370376416466 ... LastLast
Results 5,476 to 5,490 of 9936
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I have to confess I have not actually read the original Schism yet. I have only read people complain about it. Personally I liked the setup where Cyclops was a radical revolutionary and Wolverine tried to grow up and become representive of the mainstream Xavierist ideology. It was a cool role-reversal and I think fit the long-standing character development arcs of Cyclops and Wolverine. But is the story itself then something like AvX, which was good idea in concept level but actual execution of the conflict was very contrived and made both sides act in horribly OOC hypocritic fashion.
    The problem with the concept is that it made NO FRELLING SENSE for Wolverine to be leading the opposing faction. It made the whole thing feel forced.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    The problem with the concept is that it made NO FRELLING SENSE for Wolverine to be leading the opposing faction. It made the whole thing feel forced.
    Storm would be the most logical choice, but she's not Jason Aaron's pet character, and it would feel kinda hypocritical considering she bolted at the time mutants needed the most to become T'challa's wife. Xavier was also too ruined by all the secrets to pose as the benevolent figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Storm would be the most logical choice, but she's not Jason Aaron's pet character, and it would feel kinda hypocritical considering she bolted at the time mutants needed the most to become T'challa's wife. Xavier was also too ruined by all the secrets to pose as the benevolent figure.
    that wouldnt have made Storm hypocritical. The issue that drove the schism was how to lead the children and Storm getting married and leaving the team has nothing to do with that. Besides I dont think Storm would have had issues with children fighting as X-men or killing in self defense. The only X-men that would have actually worked that would make the most sense at the time was Beast. He had already had a fallen out with Scott and the animosity there had been building for some time. I could fully see him opposing Scott's stance on the kids especially after the X-Force reveal that drove him away. The problem is Beast aint a headliner so Logan was thrust into this role

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    I mean....that's how he is written in most runs, in spite of the Fox movies and the WaTX cartoon, Logan has been a supporting characther for most of X-Men story.
    I'll be honest, I really didn't read a whole lot of X-Men between when Claremont left and Whedon's run. I just found most everything else...lacking for lack of a better word.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I have to confess I have not actually read the original Schism yet. I have only read people complain about it. Personally I liked the setup where Cyclops was a radical revolutionary and Wolverine tried to grow up and become representive of the mainstream Xavierist ideology. It was a cool role-reversal and I think fit the long-standing character development arcs of Cyclops and Wolverine. But is the story itself then something like AvX, which was good idea in concept level but actual execution of the conflict was very contrived and made both sides act in horribly OOC hypocritic fashion.
    Role reversals can be good - Morrison's Batman and Robin for example. Schism was not the way to go, there was simply no justifying the split and the narrative moving forward was clearly editorially mandated.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadSpace View Post
    I agree here as well. It would have been better if both sides had their ups and downs, highlighting the weakness from a schism. In retrospect, it also weakened the narrative for attempting to even fix the X-Men.
    Yeah, we got Cyclops=Bad, Wolverine=Good.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sin Nick View Post
    Not only will there be more Wolverine movies, he will also play a major role in the future X-Men films under the MCU banner going forward. It's just something some of you Wolverine haters need to realize... he's not stepping aside just so some B or C list character can get some shine.
    Well, maybe he should step a few feet to his left so a few others can squeeze in.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Here's a hot take: I don't think Wolverine will be part of the X-Men when they're introduced to the MCU. I do think he'll be in the MCU, but he won't be part of the team, or even cameoing. Feige's policy was to try to avoid doing what the previous films did with Spider-Man (until, I guess, this new one which is multiverse based apparently), and Wolverine constantly appearing in literally all but one of the main X-Men films, as well as three solo movies (and technically Deadpool 2 but that's archive footage), I highly doubt Wolverine will be involved the X-Men when we first meet them.

I'm reading Peter David's X-Factor and Theresa's argument that the New Warriors weren't responsible for Stamford is not only stupid but hypocritical when she is baying for Quicksilver's blood after finding out his role in M-Day.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Schism was ridiculously contrived, absolutely even today Magneto and Xavier wanting the same outcome with different means to get there makes more sense than Scott and Logan quarreling over absolutely nothing

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Here's a hot take: I don't think Wolverine will be part of the X-Men when they're introduced to the MCU. I do think he'll be in the MCU, but he won't be part of the team, or even cameoing. Feige's policy was to try to avoid doing what the previous films did with Spider-Man (until, I guess, this new one which is multiverse based apparently), and Wolverine constantly appearing in literally all but one of the main X-Men films, as well as three solo movies (and technically Deadpool 2 but that's archive footage), I highly doubt Wolverine will be involved the X-Men when we first meet them.
    I wonder if they’ll go the Alpha Flight route with him.

Spectacular Member

I actually liked Schism and the brief era that followed. I liked Gillen's Uncanny X-Men relaunch and I also really enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men.

Now as to whether it made any sense - - -

The way Cyclops had been written from Messiah Complex to Schism had to be addressed. I actually really enjoyed him over that stretch, I completely bought the idea that he was all-in on keeping the small amount of mutants left alive and was willing to do whatever it took to make that happen.

The problem, I suppose, is whether it really makes sense that Wolverine would be the one to argue that they should not be using kids to fight their battles. Did they really sell that Wolverine's opinion on the subject would have changed since he argued that Kitty should be an X-Men in the "Professor Xavier is a Jerk issue"? Wolverine has kind of been the king of bringing kids into dangerous situations (He brought Jubilee into the heart of Genosha during the X-Tinciton Agenda for instance). Is a few sad moments with Idie enough to have changed his opinion on the idea. I think we are supposed to think his time in X-Force affected him but I'm not sure that makes sense either because Schism never references Elixer or X-23 or anything. So I don't know if the central idea behind Schism makes sense but I liked the mini, liked the era that followed, and think it holds up pretty well

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I actually liked Schism and the brief era that followed. I liked Gillen's Uncanny X-Men relaunch and I also really enjoyed Wolverine and the X-Men.

Now as to whether it made any sense - - -

The way Cyclops had been written from Messiah Complex to Schism had to be addressed. I actually really enjoyed him over that stretch, I completely bought the idea that he was all-in on keeping the small amount of mutants left alive and was willing to do whatever it took to make that happen.

The problem, I suppose, is whether it really makes sense that Wolverine would be the one to argue that they should not be using kids to fight their battles. Did they really sell that Wolverine's opinion on the subject would have changed since he argued that Kitty should be an X-Men in the "Professor Xavier is a Jerk issue"? Wolverine has kind of been the king of bringing kids into dangerous situations (He brought Jubilee into the heart of Genosha during the X-Tinciton Agenda for instance). Is a few sad moments with Idie enough to have changed his opinion on the idea. I think we are supposed to think his time in X-Force affected him but I'm not sure that makes sense either because Schism never references Elixer or X-23 or anything. So I don't know if the central idea behind Schism makes sense but I liked the mini, liked the era that followed, and think it holds up pretty well
    There was also his solo at the time to consider. Having the Red Right Hand and Daken tricking Logan into killing all his bastard children that he didn’t know about, left a big mark on Logan’s psyche.

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

The central idea behind Schism could have been good, an ideological split between X-Men wasn't a bad idea, but it was very badly done.

First, it relied on the godawful Hellfire brats as villains and beating any number of veteran X-Men with the idiot bat in order to make it work.
    Second, the instigating conflict was asinine, Wolverine of all people telling Idie to run away and abandon a whole team of X-Men, including close friends and the Mayor of San Francisco to die rather than fight is crazy.
    Third, as has been mentioned, having Wolverine as the face and driving force of the opposing faction never made any sense.
    Fourth, It completely ignores the absolute shitstorm of events that led the mutants to unite and go to Utopia in the first place, acting as if none of those things were a problem anymore.
    Fifth, It turned Wolverine and the leaders of the JGS faction into incredible hypocrites considering how often their own kids got into life and death situations. Not to mention they all routinely did what they castigated Cyclops for.
    Sixth, The Hellfire Brats
    Seventh, The JGS faction continually mischaracterized Cyclops as if he were cavalier in his attitude about risking mutant kids lives, which in the books he never was. He was at worst willing to let them fight to defend themselves and their home. Also the world really was out to kill those kids.
    Eight, It was largely one sided, WatXM bashed Cyclops all the time but the Utopian X-Men never really were bothered by the JGS.
    Ninth, Until the useless ball of crap that was AvX and its character assassination, Cyclops and co. never lived up to the hate and vitriol from the JGS and in spite of being clearly intended to be the final "villain" of the piece AvX still managed to make everyone else look worse. It might have been less of a bad plot if they at least had Cyclops actually acting like a villain
    Tenth, The goddamned Hellfire brats

Sorry for the rant, I really hated schism.
    Last edited by Kisinith; 10-14-2020 at 08:17 PM.

Astonishing Member

Sorry for the out of the blue question but what happened to Telford aka Vanisher? After his death in Second coming did he ever appear again? I kind of like his sleazy misfit dynamic, looks like he's tailor made for the Hellions

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    My take is they should do an X-Force team from the get go, let them be affiliated to Sinister and he double crosses them or basically has them do crazy Marauder type stuff, so that they are the MCU equivalent to suicide squad.You don't have to always have Xavier Mansion as your base line , a dark take on Alpha Flight or an X force under duress would work , it's just the fine-tuning of the story that's needed for tweak the sex and violence type story of Domino by getting her caught up with the Reavers and Dr Richard Palance on the one end and the Children of the Vault on the other while she protects a young mutant she took from some facility.

Or have a team of Wolverine/Daken ,Karma, Vanisher, Shinobi Shaw and Polaris protect a child Moira from a fury sent to kill her from some future timeline.A good story with loads of great action would easily get people into a team with little backstory
    Last edited by Rev9; 10-15-2020 at 12:10 PM.