Page 533 of 657 FirstFirst ... 33433483523529530531532533534535536537543583633 ... LastLast
Results 7,981 to 7,995 of 9846
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I also like Lobdell run and writting, his Legion Quest and Age of Apocalypse are my favorite X-event, I donīt think is controversial to like those stories, itīs just that after a while in the late 90īs the franchise needed a shake up because the characters became stale but in his first years, he was great along with Fabian Nicieza. I liked their take on the group as a whole and also their solo stories for different characters.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-18-2021 at 07:30 AM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    They tend to die.
    Or become super-villains.... or temporarily stop being super-villains. There's a few ways it's gone.... normal romance arc? NOPE!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    You're not the only one to have that opinion, or close to it- but what everyone that I know that is crazy about Lobdell's run has in common is that this was the run they begun with X-men, and nostalgia taints their opinion.
    Reminds me how i still don't fully get why they made that X-men Gold #0 trade which was somehow supposed to tie into the 2017 X-men Gold series. Especialy since the former were not stories under any "gold team" division and the later did not reference anything from the former.

Though it did allow to look back at some of Lobdell's later X-men stories back in the 90's and how they actualy hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I also like Lobdell run and writting, his Legion Quest and Age of Apocalypse are my favorite X-event, I donīt think is controversial to like those stories, itīs just that after a while in the late 90īs the franchise needed a shake up because the characters became stale but in his first years, he was great along with Fabian Nicieza. I liked their take on the group as a whole and also their solo stories for different characters.
    The idea of the characters having become stale under him, makes it somewhat unfortunate that of the 4 new characters he tried to introduce to the team during his later run, one was allready planned to get killed off soon, two quickly faded from the team because they seemingly didn't catch on (also being new people of color to add insult to injury) and the one that lasted the longest (by only 3 years) was only added because the editor of the X-men comics at the time thought she had potential, despite Lobdell having designed her to be so unredeemable that she had to get killed off previously and fans seemingly sending angry letters at how much they didn't like her (she wasn't written particular great either).

Though at times it can feel like the characters never stopped being stale after him, with Morrison's take in particular having the sense of changing them from a group of friends and comrades in arms, towards being closer to corperate colleagues at times. Not helped by the focus of the stories changing from personal adventures to constant "epic" events, while the writers started to assemble teams like someone picking their choices in a buffet.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

The idea of the characters having become stale under him, makes it somewhat unfortunate that of the 4 new characters he tried to introduce to the team during his later run, one was allready planned to get killed off soon, two quickly faded from the team because they seemingly didn't catch on (also being new people of color to add insult to injury) and the one that lasted the longest (by only 3 years) was only added because the editor of the X-men comics at the time thought she had potential, despite Lobdell having designed her to be so unredeemable that she had to get killed off previously and fans seemingly sending angry letters at how much they didn't like her (she wasn't written particular great either).
    Scott Lobdell lasted 5 years and 8 months as one of the X-men writers,thatīs a great run by todays standards and I think he got a little writer fatigue on the way but I donīt think the characters becoming stale was because of him, as you say, he had a lot of editorial interference, way more than writers get today so even if he had ideas to shake up the story I donīt think they would have let him.

Though at times it can feel like the characters never stopped being stale after him, with Morrison's take in particular having the sense of changing them from a group of friends and comrades in arms, towards being closer to corperate colleagues at times. Not helped by the focus of the stories changing from personal adventures to constant "epic" events, while the writers started to assemble teams like someone picking their choices in a buffet.
    Believe me, I am not Morrison fan, heīs too entitled for my taste and was the wrong person to ask for a shake up of the franchise, I will give him the reveal of the school being for mutants and Cassandra Novaīs creation as well as his work with Jean and Emma but other than that, his run was not that great imo his destruction of Genosha and his messing up with the X-men links to Lilandra and the Shiar just made the school look more claustrophobic even if he tried to make up for it with the whole "mutant culture thing" that didnīt get to be truly developed either. Claremont also added some interesting ideas at the time, with his take on Sage but imo I feel like the franchise didnīt advance past itīs 90īs stage until the Astonishing X-men by Whedon because he added a feel like the X-men were once again part of the wider marvel universe imo.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 09-18-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by AJpyro View Post
    Not sure why they just dont make a new LI for Logan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Midnight View Post
    They tend to die.
    Mariko is back from the dead and she got some super powers. Bring her home Logan, be happy.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Mariko is back from the dead and she got some super powers. Bring her home Logan, be happy.
    What happend to Silver Fox? with all the sex he could be having I dont understend why he is grumpy all the time, He should be spending time with his children instead of doing Beast dirty work while complaining all the time.

Extraordinary Member

If Mariko's back then I think she and Logan should be back together. She's his best love interest and he's most interesting when he's more tied to Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Is it odd that if Jean and Logan were hooking up but Scott didn't know that it'd be more ic lol.
    Eh, the margin is negligible so neither one of these options are in-character. At the end of the day, that's what's most important. Besides, Jean and Logan would be in the wrong if they did that, what would they gain from it? In fact, what have any of the characters gained from these developments?
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Hot take, but I think Rhane is the worst X-character by a rather large margin. She's trapped in a state of arrested development. Classic New Mutants, X-Factor, Krakoan-age, it doesn't matter. She's a crybaby who reacts harshly & is laughably catholic. Kitty, Nightcrawler, & Daredevil all toy with religious concepts without it consuming the character in full. I do not see what people enjoy about Wolfsbane. RCO021_1469101419.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lox View Post
    Hot take, but I think Rhane is the worst X-character by a rather large margin. She's trapped in a state of arrested development. Classic New Mutants, X-Factor, Krakoan-age, it doesn't matter. She's a crybaby who reacts harshly & is laughably catholic. Kitty, Nightcrawler, & Daredevil all toy with religious concepts without it consuming the character in full. I do not see what people enjoy about Wolfsbane. RCO021_1469101419.jpg
    Technically she's laughably presbyterian, but I get where you're coming from.

Yeah, really hate how they wrote that as a character flaw for her. :/

I suppose that, if Rahne cries all the time, it must be boring. I remember a flawed character at a time where almost everyone was flawed in a way or another one…

The problem is when authors focus too much on flaws because they think it is what defines the character the best. Wolverine had also this problem.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I'm surprised no one has mistaken Rachel's new pet for a juvenile Predator X and put it down yet. Even mutants who are familiar with warwolves have no reason to be comfortable with that thing walking around the island.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mistaken Rachel's new pet for a juvenile Predator X and put it down yet. Even mutants who are familiar with warwolves have no reason to be comfortable with that thing walking around the island.
    The “old Rachel” had no love for warwolves, adults or puppies. The current authors write a rather dim Rachel.

The rest of the Krakoans don’t seem to have memories, too…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    I suppose that, if Rahne cries all the time, it must be boring. I remember a flawed character at a time where almost everyone was flawed in a way or another one…

The problem is when authors focus too much on flaws because they think it is what defines the character the best. Wolverine had also this problem.
    Seem to be a issue of depiction of many female mutants, their most popular emotional outlook become the ONLY emotion/personality they are allowed to show...forever!
    Male on the other hands had their flaws boosted to ridiculous level!(see beast)