Page 341 of 663 FirstFirst ... 241291331337338339340341342343344345351391441 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 9936

My unpopular opinion:

Storm is a terrible leader.

She failed the Morlocks as their leader. Her decision to go covert after Fall of Mutants didn't lead to anything good.

She 'died' and failed the Outback team. If it weren't for Psylocke, Banshee and Forge, that would be the end of X-men.

At the most dangerous time for mutants, she left to marry into Wakanda. She didn't step up and only complained about Scott later. Even made Kitty leader because she wasn't capable.

And I find it extremely hypocrital that 80s Storm would be "let's pretend we're dead and kill enemies on their sleep" and 2010s Storm was "uh X-Force is disguting I can't forgive Cyke"

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    People who consider anything "Not as Claremont would have written it" OOC are the worst of the fandom. Characters cannot change or evolve, they have to always be as Claremont would have written them in the 80s.
    Agreed. I'd be more of a Claremont purist if he hadn't been basically driven off the books in the 90s and there was a whole slew of crap in between him and Morrison. And then between Morrison and now Hickman. There is way too much published material by way too many writers and editors with differing agendas to be too rigid with characterization at this point.

Claremont was pretty much the best when it came to writing the characters in his prime, but they are not his characters anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I don't have to. It's fascinating how people will say except admit what they're doing is going too far.
    If you're telling fans they are idolizing monsters instead of doing what they say (enjoying an entertaining villain who they know is an awful person), you should probably be prepared to back it up.
    You don't have any evidence, and you should if you want your point to be taken seriously.

And they'll turn on Krakoa as if they never supposed it in the first place. It'll be like being a Republican after George W Bush.

Just calling it as a I see it. When people idolising fictional monsters for inspiration in the real world it's time to double check what's going on.
    Again: making stuff up

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    My unpopular opinion:

Storm is a terrible leader.

She failed the Morlocks as their leader. Her decision to go covert after Fall of Mutants didn't lead to anything good.

She 'died' and failed the Outback team. If it weren't for Psylocke, Banshee and Forge, that would be the end of X-men.

At the most dangerous time for mutants, she left to marry into Wakanda. She didn't step up and only complained about Scott later. Even made Kitty leader because she wasn't capable.

And I find it extremely hypocrital that 80s Storm would be "let's pretend we're dead and kill enemies on their sleep" and 2010s Storm was "uh X-Force is disguting I can't forgive Cyke"
    LOL...you forgot about her disaster during the Terrigen era

Oh and Storm's stance on X-force doesnt make her a hypocrite. Just bc someone did or believed in something doesnt mean they should always be held to that. There's like a good 20 years worth of development between those eras. Its called growth and Storm had long since softened and thats not where she was. She led her own team of X-Force no long after Cyclop's version and she wasnt about killing her enemies. Had she been, then she'd have been a hypocrite but she practiced what she spoke when given the chance
    Last edited by Havok83; 09-10-2020 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    X-men Forever proved why Claremont shouldn't be allowed to just do whatever he wants. That series was a mess.
    Oh I agree. I didn't like it either.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Blue text became too cumbersome.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Krakoa = Lord of the Flies
    “The Avengers have been the one point of stability in my entire life. And if The Avengers call… then The Scarlet Witch will always answer.”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Krakoa = Lord of the Flies
    I would compare the situation more to Brave New World. Not so much in them being there, but more that the whole thing developing towards a similar society, is one big danger looming over the current status quo (not that they will ever get there, it will likely implode far before getting close).

Kitty's hair is terrible. I dont get why everyone is raving about it but the current artist on Maraurders has her looking a hot mess. Like she just threw a mop on her head, yet everyone is actting like she looks awesome when she doesnt

This might be a great place to discuss this one...

While I question my creative comrades' agenda and perspectives, I DO feel like the BIGGEST problem for the Phoenix Force, is how they attached it to Jean Grey.

As said by an animator I know personally, the Phoenix Force being retconned to a Cosmic Entity was an excellent idea... however, what should have happened, is reworking it as "The Force" of the Marvel world, in a similar manner as Star Wars. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader were extremely powerful and connected to the Force... but weren't written to be the ONLY "one true Force users". Had the door been open for other mutants to explore the Phoenix in various, creative ways, with no "fear" of "tarnishing" Jean Grey's special little pedestal as some sort of goddess, the Phoenix would see much better writing, awesome stories, and would see much more love than now.

Take a character like Matthew Malloy, a powerful psionic and reality warper on his own. It would have been nice if the Phoenix felt a strong connection with him, and he could learn his powers through the Phoenix, as he's executing the Phoenix's will. We could see some very different, new and innovative exploration of Marvel's cosmology through another's eyes. It would also create more appreciation for Jean Grey as a character, if other people were allowed to explore and experience the powers of the Phoenix. I didn't mind the "Green" Phoenix and Dark Phoenix, but there never should have been this "White Phoenix of the Crown", unless this is simply a title to ANYONE who attains the full power of the Phoenix. But it being designated only to Jean Grey (and I count Hope Summers as Jean Grey, they're no different in the end) just way overpowers Jean, and make her less and less relatable and appreciable.

Returning to Matthew Malloy once more, in his hurt over the damage he's (accidentally) caused, and desire to make right, should give the Phoenix a sense of connection with him, and they could grow together in a way that Matthew and Phoenix find themselves indistinguishable on this level, and we could see a totally different, non-Grey individual become completely one with the Phoenix Force, through a totally different story from Jean's.

Honestly, if someone new could be chosen as the new "One True Host" of the Phoenix, I'd WISH it could be Matthew Malloy. That character had incredible potential, and bringing the Phoenix in, to play into HIS story, rather than he play into the Phoenix's plot, could offer a brand new perspective on the Phoenix, that many like myself are dying for...

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

As a gay man...as a fan of Kate (and of Bobby)...their bi-ness and gay-ness is very Meh! and is the least interesting thing about their characters.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

If only that were true. What he does for Krakoa is irrelevant, they may need him for his expertise but it's like making a deal with Mephisto except Mephisto is more trustworthy. It'll be interesting to see those Sinister fans reactions to him turning on Krakao, I think they'll side with Sinister.
    Its cool to have opinions, even unpopular ones so go nuts. However in a discussion if you want to have the opinion taken seriously you have to be able to back it up with little things like facts and evidence... and you don't.

He loved because of this ideology, not in spite of it. I say this as a fan of these characters myself, but I don't think they're right because I like them as characters.

It's why I look at Star wars fans who think Darth Vader was right as being sus. Ledger's Joker is also a character who had this problem of fans thinking he had the right ideas, so did Walter White and Scarface.
    Charismatic villains are fun, and always have been. Writers like to write them, actors like to play them and audiences love to see and read them. They are frequently more popular than the hero because the very nature of their role allows them the freedom to do things that protagonists wont. That's story structure 101, that doesn't mean that fans they identify with them or want them to win.
    why do supervillains fascinate us
    Evil is Cool

This isn't new either, villains being liked is older than dirt, that has never meant that large numbers of people wanted them to win. Richard III and Iago from Shakespeare are examples of this as as are, Dracula, Mr Hyde, Long John Silver, almost everyone in Greek Mythology...

Whats more, the better a story's villain the better the story. Lame, unlikeable villains produce lame unlikeable stories.

Quote Originally Posted by GMikey View Post
    As said by an animator I know personally, the Phoenix Force being retconned to a Cosmic Entity was an excellent idea... however, what should have happened, is reworking it as "The Force" of the Marvel world, in a similar manner as Star Wars. Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader were extremely powerful and connected to the Force... but weren't written to be the ONLY "one true Force users". Had the door been open for other mutants to explore the Phoenix in various, creative ways, with no "fear" of "tarnishing" Jean Grey's special little pedestal as some sort of goddess, the Phoenix would see much better writing, awesome stories, and would see much more love than now..
    But it was the case… before Jean Grey, the first Feron was the first host to the Phoenix and after Jean Grey, Rachel Summers became host to the Phoenix.

It’s only nostalgy from the authors’ part that makes the Phoenix tied fatally to Jean Grey. True, Jean Grey holds a special place for the Phoenix: it was this host that shaped it the most and creates its human personality.

But, as a cosmic force, there’s no reason why it should have this excessive mutant and Earth tropism. The universe and particularly the Marvel universe is vast and the Earth is so small: the Phoenix looks a bit obsessed sometimes.
    Last edited by Zelena; 09-12-2020 at 12:16 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    As a gay man...as a fan of Kate (and of Bobby)...their bi-ness and gay-ness is very Meh! and is the least interesting thing about their characters.
    I would give Kate’s “bi-ness” more of a chance since it’s still barely confirmed and no one has done a storyline about it yet. For Bobby, I think writers have yet to find a balance between what made Bobby engaging before and storylines about his sexuality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    But it was the case… before Jean Grey, the first Feron was the first host to the Phoenix and after Jean Grey, Rachel Summers became host to the Phoenix.

It’s only nostalgy from the authors’ part that makes the Phoenix tied fatally to Jean Grey. True, Jean Grey holds a special place for the Phoenix: it was this host that shaped it the most and creates its human personality.

But, as a cosmic force, there’s no reason why it should have this excessive mutant and Earth tropism. The universe and particularly the Marvel universe is vast and the Earth is so small: the Phoenix looks a bit obsessed sometimes.
    I TOTALLY agree with that. And... the way writers treat the Phoenix, makes it... dumb, and unrealistic, for lack of a better term. You would NEVER see "The Force" in Star Wars get "obsessed" with a particular force user. Whom so ever is strong with the Force, can wield it. The Force/Dark Side of the Force, is apathetic and unconcerned with particular individuals. It is a consciousness which controls the flow of energy of life, death, good and evil. That's how the Phoenix should be treated.

To me, it shouldn't be tied up with Jean Grey. We need to see someone brand new, non-Grey to come along, and give us a new perspective of the Phoenix Force, and it would be nice if the Phoenix is rewritten to be more like the Force, rather than this obsessive ball of angry energy that the writers portray it as...

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

I don't mind Hickman's x-men mind raping politicians and neo-colonizing smaller nations as long as the comics address how hypocritical it is. Doesn't make sense for Krakoa to be acting like victims when it's already been confirmed that they colonized other countries.
    Last edited by OopsIdiditagain; 09-12-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I don't mind Hickman's x-men mind raping politicians and neo-colonizing smaller nations as long as the comics address how hypocritical it is. Doesn't make sense for Krakoa to be acting like victims when it's already been that they colonized other countries
    What Beast et al have up to in X-Force is beyond reprehensible. Krakoa is doomed.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!