Page 315 of 657 FirstFirst ... 215265305311312313314315316317318319325365415 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 9843
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I'll never understand why Mercury ,who in my mind has a superior mutation for being used as a weapon, gets such lousy stories or is part of some background.We already have Logan,Daken and now Laura basically copies of the same superpower yet Mercury who in many ways is superior is just some prop.I say she should have been on X-Force as far as a decade ago. Just a travesty how she is underused.
    Can Mercury survive harsh environments?

Maybe she should have went with Laura, Synch and Darwin.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Can Mercury survive harsh environments?

Maybe she should have went with Laura, Synch and Darwin.
    As far as I know only electricity is an irritation to her,like being zapped causes her pain(maybe magnetic powers like Magneto's can hurt her )I think anything short of a nuclear detonation next to her-she's pretty sturdy.I believe she does not even need to feed or breathe to survive,She is also immune to telepathy and I think she can surviive most hits that would put Wolverine down for a few minutes.She is waaay tougher than Wolverine or Laura at least from what her abilities infer

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    As far as I know only electricity is an irritation to her,like being zapped causes her pain(maybe magnetic powers like Magneto's can hurt her )I think anything short of a nuclear detonation next to her-she's pretty sturdy.I believe she does not even need to feed or breathe to survive,She is also immune to telepathy and I think she can surviive most hits that would put Wolverine down for a few minutes.She is waaay tougher than Wolverine or Laura at least from what her abilities infer
    Just because she's physically capable of taking the sorts of abuse Logan and Laura experience on an every day basis doesn't mean she's MENTALLY able. Mercury Falling practically broke her emotionally, and that was barely a TASTE of what the Facility did to Laura.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Just because she's physically capable of taking the sorts of abuse Logan and Laura experience on an every day basis doesn't mean she's MENTALLY able. Mercury Falling practically broke her emotionally, and that was barely a TASTE of what the Facility did to Laura.
    It's the writers who write her that way,as her mutation itself makes her a deadlier prospect than Logan or Laura could be!Dawn of X is a new beginning they could easily write her as a tougher individual or say a turning point in her life made her seek vengeance.I don't find that her emotional weakness in a story prevents her from being retconned as a tough Xman.If they are afraid she is way too OP with regard to taking hits then precisely her mental vulnerability is what makes the dichotomy so interesting.It is never appealling to make a very powerful character timid by nature.The whole point is to strengthen them to realise they can take a hit and not give in anyway,that is what X-Men have always been about
    Last edited by Rev9; 07-23-2020 at 05:27 AM.

Mercury is criminally underused for someone with such a versatile power-set, which just begs to be used in creative ways. I believe she could be one of the X-Men's most capable fighters even without turning her into a killer, as her abilities should also be well suited for non-lethal crowd control, allowing her to easily restrain even multiple opponents with almost no risk to herself. Not to mention the non-combat utility a shape-shifter adds to any team.

Mercury Falling also had a piece of her skin get cut off so it could be used as the outer skin on those Predator X things...

Yeah... and we know what happened to those... and the person who made them. Emma got so pissed at it she decided that killing Kimura wasn't good enough and partially mind-wiped her instead.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Mercury Falling also had a piece of her skin get cut off so it could be used as the outer skin on those Predator X things...

Yeah... and we know what happened to those... and the person who made them. Emma got so pissed at it she decided that killing Kimura wasn't good enough and partially mind-wiped her instead.
    The fact that they could extract bits of her for the Predator X also shows she's not nearly as physically indestructible as Rev is claiming. Especially compared to Logan's skeleton or Laura's claws.

Overall the books have largely shown she's more like the T-1000: Not as physically durable, but can reconstitute more quickly because of her naturally fluidic state. Nothing against Mercury — she's a great character who I wish would get more time because there's a lot that can be done with her — but she's not a physical powerhouse, nor should she be treated as such. But instead its her versatility that should be further explored and developed (for one, it'd be nice to see her gain sufficient control/self-esteem to be able to make herself look fully human. IIRC, the fact that she's silver isn't a limitation of her mutation, it's her self-consciousness OF it. She could make for an exceptionally effective infiltrator without needing to be a true shapeshifter).
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 07-23-2020 at 03:52 PM.

The fact that they could extract bits of her for the Predator X also shows she's not nearly as physically indestructible as Rev is claiming. Especially compared to Logan's skeleton or Laura's claws.

Overall the books have largely shown she's more like the T-1000: Not as physically durable, but can reconstitute more quickly because of her naturally fluidic state. Nothing against Mercury — she's a great character who I wish would get more time because there's a lot that can be done with her — but she's not a physical powerhouse, nor should she be treated as such. But instead its her versatility that should be further explored and developed (for one, it'd be nice to see her gain sufficient control/self-esteem to be able to make herself look fully human. IIRC, the fact that she's silver isn't a limitation of her mutation, it's her self-consciousness OF it. She could make for an exceptionally effective infiltrator without needing to be a true shapeshifter).
    It's about HOW they did it. they had to use lasers to cut her apart since any other method resulted in her reforming. It was pretty complicated.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 07-23-2020 at 05:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I liked the Alpha Flight revival in the 90's. There was, at least to me, an insinuation that two of the team members - brothers were Wolverines children. I'm not sure if that was ever addressed again. Also I liked the art. Campbell Scott did the interiors and most of the covers, he started out doing some work for the Image line and did a issue or two of X-Men as well. I also liked the story, I found it engaging and the characters as well. I don't think it should be cancelled so soon. The costume designs were rather cool as well.

Astonishing Member

Taking a piece of her skin did not incapacitate her,we have seen mutants taken to labs and having their powers reverse engineered for villainous purposes.If the plot requires that I have no problem.I never said she is invincible ,there can always be a fancy developed bullet that can incapacitate her just like Sarafina did to Logan with Adamantium 9 allotrope.I just stand by my words that regular weapons short of a nuke will not stop her

If by durability you mean that bullets bouncing off her like Colossus then maybe in that regard she is not a tank,BUT she is a powerhouse in her limited power set,yeah she's no Exodus with 50 powers but she is much more capable than Wolverine for example and is at his level in recovering from damage.She can infiltrate places Wolverine would need to hack and slash his way into.So she is perfect for covert infiltration flowing into nooks and crannies.I think there is a presumption she can shapeshift into other people ,I've never seen it on panel but since she is introduced as not yet fully in control of her structure.It is possible she can be the new mystique.To say you don't want to see her treated as a powerhouse,is your prerogative.I just think she's powerfull enough to be a central or at least important mutant character in a team.Instead of shoving Logan, Laura and Daken down our throats as if they are that different,when we in actual fact have a character that's different and better in regard to combat effectiveness
    Last edited by Rev9; 07-24-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I liked the Alpha Flight revival in the 90's. There was, at least to me, an insinuation that two of the team members - brothers were Wolverines children. I'm not sure if that was ever addressed again. Also I liked the art. Campbell Scott did the interiors and most of the covers, he started out doing some work for the Image line and did a issue or two of X-Men as well. I also liked the story, I found it engaging and the characters as well. I don't think it should be cancelled so soon. The costume designs were rather cool as well.
    Actually it was insinuated they were half-brothers. The older one fathered by Unus. And the younger one by Wolverine.

I mean, she was the last X-Men standing against the Hulk during the World War Hulk tie-in; that's gotta count for something. She's not overpowered, as she has clearly defined weaknesses, which in my opinion works in her favour as a character because it allows writers to more easily come up with challenging situations. Not someone you'd put on the front line against Electro or a powerful energy manipulator, but she'd excell against any opponent who lack reliable means to harm or incapacitate her, which would include a lot of physical powerhouses.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    I mean, she was the last X-Men standing against the Hulk during the World War Hulk tie-in; that's gotta count for something. She's not overpowered, as she has clearly defined weaknesses, which in my opinion works in her favour as a character because it allows writers to more easily come up with challenging situations. Not someone you'd put on the front line against Electro or a powerful energy manipulator, but she'd excell against any opponent who lack reliable means to harm or incapacitate her, which would include a lot of physical powerhouses.
    I never read the WWHulk story, thanks for helping underscore my point.Totally agree with you, she has vulnerabilities enough to tell good stories with and she isn't OP. She has a very uniquely combat suitable power that just boggles my mind at how it is underused.I mean I know Logan is a fan favourite but to keep churning out Logan knockoffs as better than Mercury in a fight is ridiculous
    Last edited by Rev9; 07-24-2020 at 08:13 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    She was the last X-Man standing because she wasn't fighting him. She TALKED him down instead.

Astonishing Member

Even if they fought ,I don't think Hulk would make a dent.He could pull Wolverine limb from limb(unless Logan has no joints or they are fused,which is unlikely)