Page 285 of 667 FirstFirst ... 185235275281282283284285286287288289295335385 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,275 of 9992
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    ^ this guy gets it. Unpopular AND controversial!

I DO NOT agree with your tastes, cest la vie.
    'cause you are soft, too soft to even be called soft actually, softie... lol jk.

X-23 and Hellion was a great pairing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It is a disability. Like most disabilities, their flaw prevents them from leading normal lives without some form of intervention. In Cyclops' case, its the glasses and Rogue's its the gloves. I think Rogue is more iffy but Scott most definitely is a more clear case of a disability. He can not function without his glasses or visors. He either runs the risk of destroying or killing those around him or being blind by closing his eyes. There is no in between there. Without his glasses, he is massively impaired and is a danger to himself and others
    Some versions say that Cyclops has brain damage that prevents him from being able to shut off his powers at will. In Rogue's case it was psychological trauma that caused her to lose the ability to "relax" her powers or something and then once she learned to relax it was fine-ish...

Quote Originally Posted by Gurz View Post
    'cause you are soft, too soft to even be called soft actually, softie... lol jk.
    My stance against child sex trafficking is pretty firm. The entire reason I’d prefer to excise Laura’s teenage years and take her back to Logan(film) age is BECAUSE of the creeps who thought preteen whore girlverine was a kewl idea.

BANNED

My stance against child sex trafficking is pretty firm. The entire reason I’d prefer to excise Laura’s teenage years and take her back to Logan(film) age is BECAUSE of the creeps who thought preteen whore girlverine was a kewl idea.
    I agree with you on one thing... That is child sex worker... that couldn't be used in super hero comics, i mean too controversial, adult serious subject to tackle, they can't touch that in super hero comics... So why do it 'cause they wanted to be adgy for a moment... But just a moment... lol other than a moment, they can't tackle it, it's too horrible for super hero comics. So i agree with you on that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    X-23 and Hellion was a great pairing!
    Considering this is still the favored ship in the fanbase, I wouldn't call it Unpopular or Controversial.

If you understand how depression works, and how young people (especially young girls) are often roped in, when combined with Laura's backstory and what was established about her personality in Innocence Lost and Target X, it's actually believable.

In fact after the whole Weinstein thing and the establishment of the #MeToo movement, IMO Marvel should double down on that part of her history rather than tiptoe around it. Have Laura speak at a support group for other victims of sex trafficking, rape, or sexual assault. Confront the uncomfortable fact she was an underage prostitute head on. Have Laura and Jessica Jones team up and discuss their shared experiences of having been assaulted in such a manner. COURT that controversy.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 04-20-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Considering this is still the favored ship in the fanbase, I wouldn't call it Unpopular or Controversial.
    Well, does that mean people like it overall or hate it less than other options? I know some people like it but I kinda had the impression that a lot of people simply saw it as least bad.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Speaking of: I think it's disgusting when people use that image for shipping.

It ignores the full context that Laura is basically attempting suicide-by-vampire, as she fully intended to let Jubilee kill her. And this is while she's already in the middle of a depressive state in which she ALREADY performed an act of self-harm in which she is implied to have inflicted wounds that would have been fatal to anyone else.
    I feel that way about a certain uncomfortable Excalibur page shipping Kitty with a certain AU fascist ice queen dictator.

3. She should be a child.
    Although we would have missed out heavily on some really compelling narratives in recent years (I loved Orphans of X so much), I'm still curious how Laura's character would have been explored if Yost/Kyle had gone the "perpetual child" route with Laura. I believe that was their original intent - to neuter her physical growth.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Although we would have missed out heavily on some really compelling narratives in recent years (I loved Orphans of X so much), I'm still curious how Laura's character would have been explored if Yost/Kyle had gone the "perpetual child" route with Laura. I believe that was their original intent - to neuter her physical growth.
    The problem with that is not only does it ignore how growth works IRL, it ignores how Logan's Healing Factor was established to work IN THE BOOKS. Logan grew at a normal rate after his mutation activated at around 13ish, and his aging wasn't frozen until around his 30s or so (which is about when humans IRL hit full maturity, and the aging process shifts from "growth and development" to "slowly dying over decades"). So by Marvel's own internal logic, if the ONLY difference between Logan and Laura is a single chromosome, her HF should work the same way and she will age normally until she hits around 35.

And you can't give me the "But his adamantium..." argument, because Logan was 30 by around 1918 DECADES before the Weapon X project.

It’s not just Laura I would regress in years, it’s almost everyone...

New Mutants should be college age. The eldest, Karma, at most should be 25. Jubilee’s peers should be “high school seniors”. NXM & Academy X should be 15-16. Aaron & Bendis kids should be in middle school. I want younger mutants experiencing their mutations at the onset of puberty, not the onset of adulthood. I realize this means romance plots are nixed in favor of clique switches, but I’m fine with it. Friends are more important than lovers.

This makes the Guthries easier to list out:

NM: Cannonball
    GX: Husk
    AX: Icarus
    JGS: Aero
    CotA: ?
    Last edited by CRaymond; 04-21-2020 at 05:40 AM.

BANNED

New Mutants should be college age. The eldest, Karma, at most should be 25. Jubilee’s peers should be “high school seniors”. NXM & Academy X should be 15-16. Aaron & Bendis kids should be in middle school. I want younger mutants experiencing their mutations at the onset of puberty, not the onset of adulthood. I realize this means romance plots are nixed in favor of clique switches, but I’m fine with it. Friends are more important than lovers.

That's not going to make the age spread any better. It's bad enough Marvel's insistence on freezing the O5+ at a ludicrously young age is blocking the development of the new generations. Going BACKWARDS is just going to make it worse.

That doesnt work bc there is alot of overlap between the classes. The NMs are not that much older than Gen X. In fact you have Jono who is older than some of them and characters like Monet, Husk and Synch who are the same age. The overlap is even more of a thing in later generations. Academy X/Generation Hope/WatX/JGS/Cyclop's kids. The only real difference is the time they joined the school. The average age for all these characters is VERY similar

As for the Guthries, Mama Guthrie had alot of kids so its concievable (and I think the case) that she had alot of Irish twins. Jay and Melody were likely born within the same year
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-21-2020 at 06:37 AM.

Astonishing Member

Why did they bring Logan and colossus to fight magneto ? Their made of metal

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Why did they bring Logan and colossus to fight magneto ? Their made of metal
    what are you talking about?

on the subject, here's a relatively unpopular thought - I'm actually fine with the sliding timescale . Imo there can still be interesting stories and character developments that don't mirror the beats of real-life and aging. Part of the appeal of comics to me is the serial nature coupled with the impermanence and general blurriness of structure - truly anything goes.

what I don't like (and this is ones definitely not unpopular) is the neglecting of characters - I don't think it needs to be "younger characters get actual development" or "established characters get development" , I think there can be creative ways of integrating these characters into one another's stories. the real enemy I see lurking about is stagnance and an unwillingness to take creative risks. somewhat understandable considering the precariousness of the medium's success, but its difficult for something new to grow and blossom out of the same ol'