Page 1 of 653 123451151101501 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default Your Unpopular/Controversial Opinions on the X-Universe

So time to be unique snowflakes in a safe environment. No one agrees with the crowd 100% of the time. You probably like some character who isn't very popular or maybe you feel a sacred cow shouldn't be so sacred. Well, I'd be really interested in hearing from all of you on your views that might get challenged somewhere else, but can be expressed bluntly and fearlessly here.

Inspired by the Vulcan thread. I don't hate Vulcan and would like to see him return.

Astonishing Member MasterOfMagnetism's Avatar

It seems like on the X-Boards everyone is always expressing their "controversial" opinions... but if everybody plays by the rules and doesn't attack anyone for what they've said in this thread then I guess I'll bite.

I think Storm should get killed-off or at the very least retire for a while. She's become inept as a leader and a sellout who's going to be defending the very people who are pro-longing the genocide against mutants. If what Misty Knight told Sam Wilson is true and there's a member of the X-Men who is under the manipulation of Hydra then I hope it's Storm.

Image-141.jpg
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 06-25-2016 at 07:26 AM.

Cyclops is better off dead for now. Bendis poisoned the well there, and made a disproportionate amount of all things X-Men directly revolve or be influenced by the manpain and depression of one - single - character. We all hated it when Wolverine was everywhere, but in most of his appearances he was a cameo artist. Cyclops somehow managed to overshadow an entire line whilst only appearing in 1 book regularly. It isn't, isn't healthy and stagnates any hope of growth for the franchise.

Gambit is...really not very good, and likely better off as an occasional-guest-appearances guy than a regular on any title.

Beyond f***ing tired of Magneto making any references to the Nazis. He burned through his last ounce of sympathy years back, now it's just crocodile tears from the bastard son of Nigel Farage and Blofeld.

I actually quite like Glob Herman!...but even so, that he's gotten so much guest appearances without ever once growing as a character in any definable way is deeply frustrating.

Caliban was only good when he had Hulk muscles and the mannerisms of a toddler.

Chris Claremont should never have come back after the '80s.

Old Man Logan is pointless. Oh, he's an older Logan? Logan was already f***ing old! And his world is tiresome, and his debut series was a Mark Millar Classic™ in every predictable horrid way, and since his having an ongoing hasn't made the older crowd stop bleating about how unfair it is for someone else to front the Wolverine book...yeah, pointless.

I don't really hate Beast. Just another Bendis victim in the end.

Magik has not been worth the spotlight she's had in recent years. At least not yet.

Shatterstar being gay is cool, but I'm not at all fond of everything else PAD did to him.

The Hellfire Club would make sense as villains if they were humans, a sort of Oxbridge gentlemens' club aiming to drag the world back to old-fashioned (and super racist) values. As mutants, they're just the Brotherhood in dandy outfits.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Shatterstar being gay is cool, but I'm not at all fond of everything else PAD did to him.
    This isn't an attack on your opinions, I just wanted to point out that Shatterstar is bisexual not gay. Rictor might be gay, whether he's gay or if he's genuinely bisexual was kinda ambiguous I think.
    Last edited by MasterOfMagnetism; 06-25-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Unpopular opinions huh ?Here goes nothing.
    I think x-men, x2:x-men united and the wolverine are really overrated movies.

X-Men:What a lackluster movie. Overly complicated plot which is full of plotholes. Terrible action. Absolutely terrible fight choreography. Not that deep as it thinks it is. Pretty mediocre overall.

X2:X-Men United:Massive improvement on the first. Better in everything. But again not as deep as it thinks it is. Solid movie ? Yes. But one of the best comic book movies ever made ? Not even close. Probably wouldn't even crack my top 20 list.

The Wolverine:Just plain boring. Remember how I said that the first two movies aren't as deep as they think they are ? Well at least they had some good ideas (which could have been better executed). This one tries to be deep and ends up being superdumb. They want me to see that wolverine is a tortured soul. All I see is an *******. (I have taken an oath never to kill again, but a dead bear is enough to break my oath-wolverine)

I also think that not every x-men needs to be an expert in h2h skills. Especially not Storm. She's already crazy powerful. As far as I can remember, there are only three characters that need to be martial arts/h2h experts:Cyclops, Magik and Psylocke.And maybe Nightcrawler. For other characters basic defense skills are enough.

I also don't think there should be any omega level mutant on team apart from Magneto and Professor X. It makes stories boring if the powers are used efficiently and creates plotholes otherwise(See:Storm in extraordinary x-men).

Now this is going like I hate Storm or something (fact:I don't) but a powerless Storm can never and more importantly should't be able to defeat Cyclops.

I think The Wolverine is worse than Origins:Wolverine.

I think it's pathetic excuse when fans say x-men movies are superior than mcu because they are deep.

It makes my skin crawl whenever Wolverine says "nobody knows you like I do" to whichever character. And also whenever he says 'Jeanie'.

I like Emma Frost more than Jean Grey. At least for now.

Astonishing Member

- Jubilee should have grown up to be a mainstay of the X-Men, not . . . whatever she is now. She has a unique personality, powerful mutant ability, and represents the X-Men's role as a surrogate family.

- Both the X-Men comics and movies need to stop with the wall to wall background characters and cameos. In the movies, it's just a waste of characters. In the comics, it just provides cannon fodder for when some villain inevitably attacks the school again.

- The X-Men need to get out more. See the world and encounter danger in more places. It's always been too easy to just keep them in the mansion and have villains attack it.

- Emma Frost is only endurable when she has a proper foil to play off of. The best choices are Banshee or Shadowcat when written by Joss Whedon.

- Kid Omega is more entertaining as an oddly anarchic good guy than as a bad guy who starts riots.

- The Phoenix needs to go away for a good, long time. Like, forever.

Under the circumstances if do not hear the words extinction or decimation for the next four years would be already happy. It is time for X-men leave the survival plot aside and come back to fight for the dream.This does not mean leave the schism it was a necessary evil as the X-mens need ideologies opposed but at least focus on the goal than differences and internal conflicts.

Jean Grey > Emma Frost.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    -

- The Phoenix needs to go away for a good, long time. Like, forever.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve View Post
    Is that an actual comic panel or something that was altered? I haven't really read much except X-Men '92 in a while.

Is that an actual comic panel or something that was altered? I haven't really read much except X-Men '92 in a while.
    I think that's from avengers vs x-men

Iceman being gay is the best thing to happen to the X-Men for a while. And despite what some people said, Iceman being gay made sense; if a character like Scott Summers, Reed Richards or Peter Parker came out as gay it wouldn't make sense because those characters have had long-lasting iconic relationships with women but Iceman who was portrayed as being insecure, was raised by a narrow-minded bigoted father and had various flings with women he couldn't sustain, it fit that Bobby could be a "closet-case".

And most of the people who were upset by Iceman being gay didn't even give a **** about Iceman, they were just angry on the "principle" of not "turning" straight characters gay and using new gay characters instead. Those same people do not give a **** about new gay characters anyway. It's like with the give Cap a boyfriend thing; plenty of straight people get angry and say things like "use Wiccan and Hulkling instead of making Cap gay" but you will NEVER hear those people say "give us a Young Avengers movie where Wiccan and Hulkling fall in love with each other".

Quote Originally Posted by chillin'_chillclops View Post
    I think that's from avengers vs x-men
    I agree: A vs X #12. Here's the relevant passage from Uncannyxmen.net's summary of that issue:
    ‘Look inside yourself. See what I see in you. This is your destiny, you’re right. You were born to be the Phoenix. But not so you could wield this power’ the Scarlet Witch tells Hope. Hope turns and looks at the Scarlet Witch, who explains ‘It’s because you’re the only one with the strength to let it go’. Hope walks over to Wanda, and tells her that she feels like she is on fire. ‘Back in K’un Lun, you were right about me. Once upon a time, I started this whole mess. Please…let me help you end it. No more fire. No more fighting. No more playing God’ Wanda offers, holding out her hands. Hope’s flaming hands take Wandas, and together, they both announce ‘No more Phoenix’, and with that, the cosmic energy pours upwards from Hope, and in spectacular display, it crackles around the Earth, striking various points.
    http://uncannyxmen.net/comics/issue/...rs-vs-x-men-12
    Last edited by Anodyne; 06-25-2016 at 09:53 AM.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfMagnetism View Post
    Iceman being gay is the best thing to happen to the X-Men for a while. And despite what some people said, Iceman being gay made sense; if a character like Scott Summers, Reed Richards or Peter Parker came out as gay it wouldn't make sense because those characters have had long-lasting iconic relationships with women but Iceman who was portrayed as being insecure, was raised by a narrow-minded bigoted father and had various flings with women he couldn't sustain, it fit that Bobby could be a "closet-case".

And most of the people who were upset by Iceman being gay didn't even give a **** about Iceman, they were just angry on the "principle" of not "turning" straight characters gay and using new gay characters instead. Those same people do not give a **** about new gay characters anyway. It's like with the give Cap a boyfriend thing; plenty of straight people get angry and say things like "use Wiccan and Hulkling instead of making Cap gay" but you will NEVER hear those people say "give us a Young Avengers movie where Wiccan and Hulkling fall in love with each other".
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by chillin'_chillclops View Post
    I agree 100%.
    Thank you, Chillclops.