Page 607 of 670 FirstFirst ... 107507557597603604605606607608609610611617657 ... LastLast
Results 9,091 to 9,105 of 10038
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Another one from BoB: when Malarkey talks to the one German prisoner who grew up in the same town as he did, the ACTUAL prisoner grew up ON THE SAME BLOCK. But that would have been a coincidence too many.
    "Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; truth isn’t." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    When Magneto says "I'm not racist, my best friend is human," this is what he means
    Isn't he more a "Arraki without powers"? I faintly recall he actualy didn't consider himself a human.

Though technicaly mutants are still fundamentaly human, regardless of how people on both sides might throw terminology around to argue why they aren't.

Hmm. Perhaps we need a "Stryker was wrong!" T-shirt with the scene of him pointing at Nightcrawler for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    When Magneto says "I'm not racist, my best friend is human," this is what he means
    Nah, it’s because he banged Briar Raleigh (where she?) every which way but loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Yeah, calling his own species "superior" is a bit of a giveaway.
    I mean, they kind of are though aren’t they? The most impressive thing humans can do is keepy ups with a hacky sack for a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    I mean, they kind of are though aren’t they? The most impressive thing humans can do is keepy ups with a hacky sack for a few minutes.
    What do we mean by human? If we mean the average Joe on the street then sure but if we put the hyper intelligent ones into that category (Reed, Doom, Stark, Pym etc.) than each of those guys have some plot breaking inventions that can even put omega level mutants to shame. I truly believe super intelligence is the greatest power in comics since it can usually create whatever the plot needs to.

Isn't Dr. Strange a human? Im pretty sure he wipes the floor with most mutants too.

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    What do we mean by human? If we mean the average Joe on the street then sure but if we put the hyper intelligent ones into that category (Reed, Doom, Stark, Pym etc.) than each of those guys have some plot breaking inventions that can even put omega level mutants to shame. I truly believe super intelligence is the greatest power in comics since it can usually create whatever the plot needs to.
    Well that and magic. Both are so general that it lets them do literally anything that is required.
    Last edited by Galerion; 10-29-2022 at 05:49 PM.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysian_Thracs View Post
    In fairness, I'm a human and I don't like humans very much. I think we are cruel, petty, crafty apes who--at best--strive to be better than our base instincts as we hurtle through space on a giant rock circling a dying ball of gaseous flame. But that certainly doesn't make me a racist because my disdain isn't limited by race. Does it make me species-ist, instead? Or is it impossible for me to be a species-ist because of my species? Like, only people from other species can be species-ist. Not people who look like me?
    I don’t have a high opinion of humans but it’s my species. It’s inescapable. I’m of the same species as people that committed genocides and will make of this Earth a hot hell burning all the fossil fuels they will find.

What I liked in Claremont’s stories is that he didn’t try to make of the X-men better people than the average human, they had a lot of qualities (strength, courage…) but also the same flaws as any human, and particularly any reader. We could identify with them and their problems: they loved, hated, made mistakes…

The current era hasn’t this depth. The mutants have become aliens. The process of identification still work apparently but it’s dissonant: we still are humans and they are not… and particularly with the immortality thing.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Basically this.

For as smart as the human eggheads are the only thing stopping them from getting absolutely railroaded right now by The CotV and Orchis are the merry mutants.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    So there's a currently viral post on Twitter about Magneto that refers to him as "the magnet racist" and people are of course mad about it but...is it not accurate? Like even the most modern and friendly versions of Magneto he's never actually liked humans
    It's completely accurate and sadly, applies to most mutants these days as well.

Except magneto just died saving humanity. Lmao. I am so glad I don't do Twitter those people really sound like drooling talking heads that just say anything cause they can. Lol.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It's completely accurate and sadly, applies to most mutants these days as well.
    Yeah it does kinda suck that the X-Men all just pivoted their views overnight and off-panel.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Except magneto just died saving humanity. Lmao. I am so glad I don't do Twitter those people really sound like drooling talking heads that just say anything cause they can. Lol.
    Ironically (or maybe not) CBR isn't exempt from that sub-set of humanity either. Thankfully on both fora it's very easy to avoid dat assness an' dotish fockery.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-30-2022 at 07:10 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    So there's a currently viral post on Twitter about Magneto that refers to him as "the magnet racist" and people are of course mad about it but...is it not accurate? Like even the most modern and friendly versions of Magneto he's never actually liked humans
    Magneto casually came up during a classroom discussion regarding racism, and the various forms it has taken in the past and how one could see examples of it in fictional works. Several folks in the class pointed out Magneto (and I'll add, Emma Frost) was like a slave owner who had slaves work in their house, had children with them, etc... But in the end they will never consider them human or equal, with the promise of "corrective" violence and imposed obedience hanging in the air at all times.

Seeing that tweet jogged my memory on this. There's certainly tiers to it.

Apolcapyse - Would have no problem with a genocidal campaign against humans
    Magneto - Would have no problem with mutant supremacy resulting in the displacement and oppression of humans
    White Queen - Would have no problem with humans being nothing more than servants or cattle (this is the norm with how she treats humans and human laws/authority)
    Xavier - Would have no problem with mutants leading the globe even if it causes problems for humans

What's interesting is that scene in Judgement Day #6 where Jean is blatantly called out for being so casual with actions that would result in near human extinction and mutant supremacy. That she pulled back on it and responded with empathy instead was a great character moment and set her apart from the folks I mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post

If it doesn't fit their agenda it didn't happen. The truth takes up too much space in the echo chamber.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Sphere View Post
    Apolcapyse - Would have no problem with a genocidal campaign against humans
    Magneto - Would have no problem with mutant supremacy resulting in the displacement and oppression of humans
    White Queen - Would have no problem with humans being nothing more than servants or cattle (this is the norm with how she treats humans and human laws/authority)
    Xavier - Would have no problem with mutants leading the globe even if it causes problems for humans
    I understand why you simplified it but it’s worth noting that what are these characters changed greatly along the years and depending on the authors… Apolcapyse, I don’t know him well, White Queen, true, not so much but Magneto has changed many times and Xavier have changed a lot. This latter, as far I can remember, always tried to find a common ground. His change of heart is very recent.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

On second thought...
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 10-30-2022 at 11:04 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!