Page 441 of 655 FirstFirst ... 341391431437438439440441442443444445451491541 ... LastLast
Results 6,601 to 6,615 of 9824
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doom'nGloom View Post
    I never get the "mutants are the next stage in evolution" thing when canonically they are the result of celestial experimentation. I also don't get the genetic superiority mutants have over humans when this "evolution" can give you bad breath just as it can give you a useful power.
    I would really love to see some mutants out there actually challenge this conception by saying "maybe we are the next step in evolution...or maybe we are just the product of corrupted DNA due to all the adverse nuclear, biological and chemical pollution humanity has pumped into the atmosphere for centruries."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rang10 View Post
    Sometimes the powers aren't even so worthy of looking weird and inhuman. I see more and more artists doing this kinda of monster design for new mutants.

This is really awful
    Yep this is pretty annoying , also drives me crazy why some writers stick to aesthetic redundancy if I could call it that. We now have resurrection protocols and yet Karma is still with her metallic prosthesis.Like are they saying she told everyone 'nah I don't want my real leg,I'm used to my fake leg'? Don't know if it's the same with Callisto's eye.This I just don't buy, like NCrawler hints that some mutants would want to be resurrected with improved or different powers but then they don't want to be resurrected whole where possible?
    Last edited by Rev9; 02-25-2021 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Yep this is pretty annoying , also drives me crazy why some writers stock to aesthetic redundancy if I could call it that. We now have resurrection protocols and yet Karma is still with her metallic prosthesis.Like are they saying she told everyone 'nah I don't want my real leg,I'm used to my fake leg'? Don't know if it's the same with Callisto's eye.This I just don't buy, like NCrawler hints that some mutants would want to be resurrected with improved or different powers but then they don't want to be resurrected whole where possible?
    I think this was more so about the writers not wanting to mess with disability representation (though they’re fine doing it with Charles).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I think this was more so about the writers not wanting to mess with disability representation (though they’re fine doing it with Charles).
    I understand the thinking but it is self defeating, for to have a premise like the protocols and still insist that for representation's sake disabled mutants would insist on carrying a label when technology affords them a second chance at being healthy and whole is very disingenuous.If this technology were real ,no disabled person would be like yeah ,bring me back with my blind eyes, coz that's the way I like it.

I understand the thinking but it is self defeating, for to have a premise like the protocols and still insist that for representation's sake disabled mutants would insist on carrying a label when technology affords them a second chance at being healthy and whole is very disingenuous.If this technology were real ,no disabled person would be like yeah ,bring me back with my blind eyes, coz that's the way I like it.
    This is the problem of ressurrection protocols, people can choose to live without disabilities. There is no reason to continue being blind, without a leg or a arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I would love a story about a mutant with irredeemably bad breath! In fact, I love mutants who have powers that aren't useful for combat/warfare. The existence of such mutants makes the X-Men necessary. Mutants that can't defend themselves need protection.
    I don’t like when characters are just created to be “damsels in detress”. What are they, professionnal potential victims?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Yep this is pretty annoying , also drives me crazy why some writers stick to aesthetic redundancy if I could call it that. We now have resurrection protocols and yet Karma is still with her metallic prosthesis.Like are they saying she told everyone 'nah I don't want my real leg,I'm used to my fake leg'? Don't know if it's the same with Callisto's eye.This I just don't buy, like NCrawler hints that some mutants would want to be resurrected with improved or different powers but then they don't want to be resurrected whole where possible?
    Karma never died. Callisto's patch is a fashion statement

Extraordinary Member

Let's not even get started on Martha Johansson / No-Girl....I am guessing continuing to live as a brain in a jar is not her personal choice.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It's ok if Karma never died, I'll wait to see if she'll ever get the chance if that is the technicality.However putting myself in her shoes, does she want to give herself the opportunity to be whole anyway? I guess she has to join XForce to jump the queue..

Extraordinary Member

It's ok if Karma never died, I'll wait to see if she'll ever get the chance if that is the technicality.However putting myself in her shoes, does she want to give herself the opportunity to be whole anyway? I guess she has to join XForce to jump the queue..
    That would be an interesting issue for Krakoa to face....the rank and file demanding no more queue jumping for the 'special' mutants. They have to go to the back of the line until everyone else is brought back.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think this is where we as readers need to squint really hard and just pretend none of the characters would like to come back younger, hotter and overall improved. Well except maybe for Quentin Quire. Because there's no reason for Nightcrawler not to at least explore the option of being able to change back and forth between his human form and the blue one, even if he was born blue. Or for Callisto to come back all scarred and missing an eye. It's not a badge of honor and it's not a fashion statement, it's all about keeping the characters in their most recognizable forms.

I do agree that something like Xi'an's leg is hardly iconic though and should be taken care of as soon as she bites the dust.

while the book had its good points wasn't crazy about Uncanny Avengers
    1 the book should have had another title that wasn't to X or Avenger centric imo....It relied heavily on X lore but it was an Avengers book controlled by that office
    2 It came during a time when the X-Men imo were being punished due to the fox stuff I feel characters and other mythos from that franchise were used to better other dare I say lesser franchises at the X-Men's Expense hence Uncanny Avengers, and Uncanny Inhumans, Uncanny everything except X-Men.
    3 the timing of it coming on the heels of a divisive event like AvX one I feel was personally biased in favor of the Avengers and of ofc the Avengers had a big movie coming out so taking a dump on the X-Franchise was no big leap for them the franchise that did so much to elevate marvel when coming up not to many cared about the Avengers at all...I speak for myself I was not trying to read anything with Avengers in the title it especially at that time.
    Last edited by cam18; 02-25-2021 at 01:40 PM.

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

I think it should be directly addressed if not strongly implied that part of Monet’s ‘perfect’ pwerset for some reason means that her skin tone naturally, and perhaps not consciously, lightens and darkens in certain situations. In the way that race is discussed with Storm in the Omniracial Storm Paradox, Monet’s mutant metaphor should also be a discussion on Colorism and multi-ethnic inclusion identity politics.

And plus it would give good discourse on why some artists render her darker or lighter throughout her history AS WELL AS making it a conscious decision on the WRITER’s part as well when we see it crop up. Make these hoes own their accountability.

That would be terrible and problematic to do. Its as bad as Darwin's skin lightning for similar reasons. She's black. We shuldnt need to come up with excuses for why Marvel keeps failing her repeatedly coloring her light. It would set a bad precedence and would encourage her to continue to be colored like a white woman

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    But. If you know you can easily be resurrected - why not say? "Kill me and resurrect me when my leg fixed, please."

Where is the downside?

That's been (one) of my issues with the current stance of X-Men. There's NO risk for our heroes.

"Terrorists have taken over a building."
    "Send in everyone. Anyone who dies, we just resurrect."
    "Got it."
    Show ten X-Men dying.
    The rest save the day.
    Show ten X-Men awakening in pods, covered in gold.
    "Phew!"
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!