Page 248 of 655 FirstFirst ... 148198238244245246247248249250251252258298348 ... LastLast
Results 3,706 to 3,720 of 9824
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    That's Magneto?? No way; that looks like Charles with stubble! Who was the artist on that?
    Gabriel Walta. Magneto shaved his head as a tribute to Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    He never said that.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

...They sure they're not related? Like even distantly? Dude has the exact same scalp...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    He never said that.
    Shhhhh. Let me believe what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino_Dare-Doll View Post
    Well, I can kind of counter that. Recent studies suggest that autism is also a genetic factor, possibly a mutation; it comes with its' own detriments but, if given proper support and understanding, individuals really can keep up alongside and even surpass, at times, their Neuro-typical peers. I understand what you mean, but like, still?
    Sure, it would depend on whether autism is due to mutation or multigene interaction (or the other possible theories) with regard to the validity of mutation being a positive thing. But that is still on an individual level, not the species wide one (regarding my point about the use of terms).

But, I guess where I see the problematic nature of Marvel's "Mutants" (and I'm using "Problematic" in its original academic usage of a possibly flawed conclusion derived from a demonstrably flawed premise or methodology, NOT in its current sociopolitical usage) is that it was all originally predicated on the mistaken belief that mutagens could cause people or entire species to "evolve."

Sure, there have been things grafted onto Marvel's Mutant "science" since Jack and Stan first started things, but that initial premise of "Children of the Atom" and the dominoes it knocked over are still present.

Kinda like humans in mutants.

BANNED

Thread should be retitled Hickman Grievances Thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I mean, it's an unpopular sentiment around these boards anyway, so it's in the right place?

Spectacular Member

I will admit that it’s hilarious to compare the confident, smug, know-it-all Magneto in Hox/Pox to the failed, broken Magneto who chose to kill a mutant girl over himself.

That's why I didn't like Bunn's tiresome moralization. How could killing himself help if she could reanimate others' fears too. But shush, Mags is so gray wah wah

Quote Originally Posted by adamTPTK View Post
    That's why I didn't like Bunn's tiresome moralization. How could killing himself help if she could reanimate others' fears too. But shush, Mags is so gray wah wah
    I don't like this Magneto: he shows that he cares and keeps killing people like they were flies.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Since it's always the same handful of posters, it would feel like a containment thread. And, disregarding how I feel about that concept and said posters, I'm not sure that would go well here.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I tip my hat off to you, Astroman.
    Your educational and thouroughly enlightening points really underscores the reason why I will never try to emotionally equate the X-World with the Real-World. Because when you do...it doesn't make a lick of sense. And to hold fast to non-sensical things as if they were living truths is like turning right at Bonkers Station onto Insanity Road leading straight to Crazy Town.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Astroman View Post
    The big problem with Marvel is that they conflate mutation (which should be technically applied to individual) and evolution (which happens in populations).
    Yeah, when they started pumping out mutant children of mutant parents with the exact same powers (Theresa Cassidy, Lorna Dane, Rachel Grey, Angel & Beak's kids), it was like, 'Wait, the definition of mutant is different from your parents... These aren't mutants, they are *entirely new sub-species.* Homo flying sonic screamus. Homo magneticus. Homo redhead telepath/telekineticus. Homo creepy bug-kidicus.'

Still, science and comic books, not a great fit. God only knows what happens to your stomach/intestinal/bladder contents when you transform into energy, or shapeshift, or change size, or become intangible... *Sploosh!* "Ooh, my now empty bladder/intestines/stomach/semicircular canals just imploded. Excuse me while I curl up and die in misery."

The current 'big writer' is a major topic of conversation and focus.

People have unpopular opinions about the current writer, so they put them in the unpopular opinion thread. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    People have unpopular opinions about the current writer, so they put them in the unpopular opinion thread. Go figure.
    And it still doesn’t stop them from making the same thread every other day, does it?