Page 630 of 673 FirstFirst ... 130530580620626627628629630631632633634640 ... LastLast
Results 9,436 to 9,450 of 10085
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Honestly... I feel like a lot of mutants would have been so desperate by the time that HoX rolled around that they'd put up with some questionable leadership and moral choices. Get murdered in the streets and retreat to the "safe-haven" that is the mansion that get's blown up every month vs. go to a more secure island, where your government won't outlaw your existence and create mutant vaccines, AND where you have access to resurrections in case you do meet a grisly fate. I think Krakoa offered a lot of good, so a lot of tired mutants were willing to ignore the bad.

Now I absolutely think it was a misstep to not show more characters wrestle with the idea of Krakoa and perhaps deal with some of that moral conflict. It was a creative choice that worked for House of X, because they wanted everything to be mysterious and eerie, but after the fact a really think they should have done a "missing 8 months" one-shot at least.
    I get that stance, I just think they didn't do a sufficient job of showing that. Like you said, we really needed something after House showing that part of the nation-building process.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It was a given choice...that was respected. Why would they spend time and effort trying to reason with someone who opted not to come to Krakoa, for whatever reason? Surely they have/had better things to do than go searching for and knocking door-to-door of every mutant who declined the invitation.

We know some who questioned...Jean, Wolverine, Gambit...but ultimately, there was nothing they could change or do because 1: They were not on the QC (other than Jean) and 2: Had no clue as to the real reason why those sitting on the QC were invited in the first place (Moira's edict). The general Krakoan populace still don't know and for the most part don't really care as they're busy trying to build new, hopefully better lives for themselves.

Also...Understand, we and the core X-mutants who've interacted with these persons through out...know of the histories of the Xaddy Blue, Mystique, Maggie, Sinister, Shaw etc. fully aware of their villainous pasts and deeds...the general global average mutant populace, not so much, if at all, or third hand via the news media.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Honestly... I feel like a lot of mutants would have been so desperate by the time that HoX rolled around that they'd put up with some questionable leadership and moral choices. Get murdered in the streets and retreat to the "safe-haven" that is the mansion that get's blown up every month vs. go to a more secure island, where your government won't outlaw your existence and create mutant vaccines, AND where you have access to resurrections in case you do meet a grisly fate. I think Krakoa offered a lot of good, so a lot of tired mutants were willing to ignore the bad.

Now I absolutely think it was a misstep to not show more characters wrestle with the idea of Krakoa and perhaps deal with some of that moral conflict. It was a creative choice that worked for House of X, because they wanted everything to be mysterious and eerie, but after the fact a really think they should have done a "missing 8 months" one-shot at least.
    Exactatiously...Yes there were obvious missteps. 1000% But that was a failing on the part of the writers not so much the actual story.

It's my opinion that in that first year they sacrificed and left a lot of important pieces on the editing room floor for the sake of the big XoS crossover that was supposed to "subvert expectations" but instead just wasted a lot of time with dumb silly shit that could have been better spent exploring Moira X, the interim months before HoX 01 and expounding on the Government structure.

But really... I see no use crying over sour milk that was spilt in someone else's kitchen four years ago.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    ... But really... I see no use crying over sour milk that was spilt in someone else's kitchen four years ago.
    Because it (contrivance) has only gotten worse & led us to where we are now, which to put it succinctly is... diminishing returns.

One thing I can say about Hickman, and now by eXtension Iger & Feige, @least they can admit there's been mistakes that need to be improved upon. As opposed to being stubborn & just doubling down, out of petty, butthurt spite.

I suppose it has, for some who's expectations are not being/have never been met and are still stuck in "they coulda/shoulda..." mode.
    Speaking for myself only and the books I'm actively buying and enjoying now...my returns have shown definite growth.

I've had my absolute disappointments...I expected so much more from Immortal XM, Marauders and Excalibur but I'm not going to dwell on the whys and wherefores of what went wrong and judge the entire era over a few of what I may perceive as editorial/writers missteps.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-18-2023 at 12:16 PM.

BANNED

I was speaking from a business perspective, as much as a creative one.

I figured...but I'm not informed enough (or interested enough, rather) to speak on that aspect.
    I don't care about monthly sales figures or where the books I'm enjoying land on the top 100 list...never have, never will. That's why my returns will always, at the very least, stay positive.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 03-18-2023 at 12:24 PM.

BANNED

That's fine, good for you.
    Last edited by PolarIceFire; 03-18-2023 at 12:36 PM.

It really is, thank you.

I’ve never been a fan of them giving Monet the Penance form in the Krakoa age nor how they seem to over rely on it when it comes to putting her in action. With her massive array of powers she which includes flight, superhuman strength, super speed, telepathy and tk, the Penance form is just superfluous. Plus it doesn’t help that there’s another Penance walking around in 616. At that point, just let Monet and Penance be their own characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    I’ve never been a fan of them giving Monet the Penance form in the Krakoa age nor how they seem to over rely on it when it comes to putting her in action. With her massive array of powers she which includes flight, superhuman strength, super speed, telepathy and tk, the Penance form is just superfluous. Plus it doesn’t help that there’s another Penance walking around in 616. At that point, just let Monet and Penance be their own characters.
    Yeah, makes no sense at all! Why not have Yvette(assuming that's what the current version of canon uses as her name) do stuff as herself? We know beyond any doubt that Penance has her own personality, she's actually done stuff separate from the St. Croix family.

Astonishing Member

Agreed. Like I think you probably COULD make the Penance form work in a couple of ways but its still a stretch and it creates overlap that makes it nearly impossible to ever explore Hollow/Yvette as her own character separately.....but most of all, its just completely unnecessary. Monet doesn't NEED the Penance form as a gimmick, the visual just detracts from showcasing one of the few prominent black X-women (and again, Hollow exists so Monet not turning into Penance anymore wouldn't even mean we 'lose' the Penance design entirely), the Penance form's powers are completely superfluous - Monet already has invulnerability and super strength in her original form, what does giving her claws really add?

Like, the Penance form for Monet is just pointlessly complicated and brings nothing to the character that can't be gained through other narrative means.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Agreed. Like I think you probably COULD make the Penance form work in a couple of ways but its still a stretch and it creates overlap that makes it nearly impossible to ever explore Hollow/Yvette as her own character separately.....but most of all, its just completely unnecessary. Monet doesn't NEED the Penance form as a gimmick, the visual just detracts from showcasing one of the few prominent black X-women (and again, Hollow exists so Monet not turning into Penance anymore wouldn't even mean we 'lose' the Penance design entirely), the Penance form's powers are completely superfluous - Monet already has invulnerability and super strength in her original form, what does giving her claws really add?

Like, the Penance form for Monet is just pointlessly complicated and brings nothing to the character that can't be gained through other narrative means.
    Yeah, getting separated from Penance was a major plot point. why would she use that form when it's not her own?

Weird side note: apparently at some point they established that one of Monet's 4 middle names is Yvette.....

On another side note: my best guess as to the original author intent.... is that Monet's(and the rest of the St. Croix family) dark skin comes from Algerian Berbers. Yeah, it was almost a throwaway line. But the St. Croix family was people from Monaco that... looked like people from Monaco(nearly the same average appearance as a Frenchman)... then one of her ancestors married an "Algerian Princess".... which only makes sense in the context of a Berber chieftain's daughter, since Algeria doesn't HAVE a monarchy as an actual government entity.

While some depictions of her father Cartier show him with dark skin.... not all do, and his father does not have dark skin(we've never seen Cartier's mother, Louis was married to Lenore, but she's not Cartier's mother). So I consider Cartier with dark skin an art error. But we know Monet's mother Jamila comes from an Algerian family, and had rather dark skin. On that Fitzpatrick scale though... which goes from 1(light)-6(dark) Berbers are around 4 or 5. which is about where Monet and her siblings fall on the scale.

Completely agreed. And then it was totally dropped by Hickman. X-corps was supposed to delve into that but the less said about it the better.

Astonishing Member

Perhaps they feel that in her standard form she is basicly just another "Super Girl light" character and that the monster form gives her a more visual striking design, hence constantly having her switch into that mode despite it basicly not offering any truely big benefit compared to the powers she allready has.

Which from a certain point of view is somewhat unfair to many of the mutant characters who not only always looked mutated, but have only that as their distinct trait and super power.