Page 321 of 664 FirstFirst ... 221271311317318319320321322323324325331371421 ... LastLast
Results 4,801 to 4,815 of 9952

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its a case by case basis but the mutants that were specifically mentioned int he example were Hellion, Karma and Wizz Kid. Cyclops is more brain damaged than disabled. His color blindness is a symptom of that brain damage and he has an easy fix for it (power inhibitor), which he chooses not to use.

It would be a crazy plot twist if A)they bring up that forgotten plotpoint from the IvX era about mutants being sterilized by the mists and B) the resurrectees are being sterilized by Sinister, this making mutantkind and evolutionary dead end
    Now he have an easier fix for it. He was ressurrected in a new improved body. Any excuses the writers come up to the fact that Cyclops still have brain damage that mess up his powers is just it, a excuse for he continue to use the visor.

The way I see they have 3 ways to go: a) give Cyclops control over his powers and say he uses the visor for style; b) say that his lack of control actually have roots in psychological issues (don't like it) and c) come up with some sheenanigan that is nothing but a clear excuse for keep the visor.

Option a is the best, imo, Cyclops finally controling his powers would be a good way to explain his more relaxed ways in the current comics.

Astonishing Member

Its a case by case basis but the mutants that were specifically mentioned int he example were Hellion, Karma and Wizz Kid. Cyclops is more brain damaged than disabled. His color blindness is a symptom of that brain damage and he has an easy fix for it (power inhibitor), which he chooses not to use.

It would be a crazy plot twist if A)they bring up that forgotten plotpoint from the IvX era about mutants being sterilized by the mists and B) the resurrectees are being sterilized by Sinister, this making mutantkind and evolutionary dead end
    Sure case by case fine but I would not presume that Karma or Hellion would be like nah I'm too used to being armless or having one full leg to want to be whole again,if the writers do that then they are simply idiots.No real PWD would say that. If they can't be realistic they should not deceive readers with lies, just avoid the issue than flat out bs the public

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Sure case by case fine but I would not presume that Karma or Hellion would be like nah I'm too used to being armless or having one full leg to want to be whole again,if the writers do that then they are simply idiots.No real PWD would say that. If they can't be realistic they should not deceive readers with lies, just avoid the issue than flat out bs the public
    maybe but the writers are the voice for the characters, not you or I. Leah is the one tackling this issue so whatever she writes is canon

Astonishing Member

maybe but the writers are the voice for the characters, not you or I. Leah is the one tackling this issue so whatever she writes is canon
    It wouldn't hurt to be as authentic on issues as possible,when movies about certain issues are made, research is done, people concerned with topic are interviewed.Anyway I have worked with PWD's so I know what I say is no fanciful thinking.Xmen has always tried to represent a whole strata of people.I don't see why it would be difficult to be authentic in this regard

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    It wouldn't hurt to be as authentic on issues as possible,when movies about certain issues are made, research is done, people concerned with topic are interviewed.Anyway I have worked with PWD's so I know what I say is no fanciful thinking.Xmen has always tried to represent a whole strata of people.I don't see why it would be difficult to be authentic in this regard
    But you also have to acknowledge that whatever experience you have with that is not representative of all people with disabilities bc on the flipside Ive seen and read about others who's physicailities leave them at a disadvantage in this world, but they dont see it that way and wouldnt change it if they could. I know those with dwarfism can be sensitive about that. You cant say that what Leah said isnt authentic. There arent that many disabled characters in the X-line and the 3 she actually mentioned is a very small percentage and just might fit her line of thinking whereas some others might not.

Xavier is an obvious example of the flipside who traditionally was disabled and has had multiple opportunities to change that and he has. Its not like he's tried to purposely cripple himself be prefers to be in a wheelchair or has some form of advantage that he otherwise wouldnt have. There is no one blanket way of thinking to encompass every single character. I do think its important to show those with disabilities striving in spite of it and again considering there arent that many, its okay to keep a few as such especially when it functionally does not impede how a character is written
    Last edited by Havok83; 07-29-2020 at 07:01 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I really don’t see why it’s an issue for the writers to say those mutants would take up the opportunity.

Look at Professor X. How many times has he been paralyzed from the waist down, and then later get a new body, like he has right now?

If they involve her, I’m pretty sure Martha Johannesen would ask for a new body.

Astonishing Member

But you also have to acknowledge that whatever experience you have with that is not representative of all people with disabilities bc on the flipside Ive seen and read about others who's physicailities leave them at a disadvantage in this world, but they dont see it that way and wouldnt change it if they could. I know those with dwarfism can be sensitive about that. You cant say that what Leah said isnt authentic. There arent that many disabled characters in the X-line and the 3 she actually mentioned is a very small percentage and just might fit her line of thinking whereas some others might not
    Agree with regard to dwarfism being unique but by and large most disabled people if science or miracle like Elixir existed they would want to be whole,to say that they would not is not true.Maybe a deaf person saying I'm used to sign language so I'll still communicate by signing even when I don't need to is correct but NOT saying I don't want to hear sounds, so no thanks.I don't think just because we have 3% disabled mutants means you don't represent the issue of that miniscule group authentically.

I can see how someone who was born with a disability wouldn't be so eager to change it, but in Hellion case for example, why wound he not want his hands back? Whatever improved control of his powers he gained as a result of losing his hands will not just go away because he have them back.

The best solution for Marvel, is not kill this characters, so they don't have to deal with those issues when they resurrect them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Now he have an easier fix for it. He was ressurrected in a new improved body. Any excuses the writers come up to the fact that Cyclops still have brain damage that mess up his powers is just it, a excuse for he continue to use the visor.

The way I see they have 3 ways to go: a) give Cyclops control over his powers and say he uses the visor for style; b) say that his lack of control actually have roots in psychological issues (don't like it) and c) come up with some sheenanigan that is nothing but a clear excuse for keep the visor.

Option a is the best, imo, Cyclops finally controling his powers would be a good way to explain his more relaxed ways in the current comics.
    Option d) he has complete control of his power to turn it on or off...but the visor actually gives him more control because of it's design than just using his eyelids.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Option d) he has complete control of his power to turn it on or off...but the visor actually gives him more control because of it's design than just using his eyelids.

That doesnt fit bc he doesn wear his visor 24/7. he wears simple shades when not in costume

Extraordinary Member

That doesnt fit bc he doesn wear his visor 24/7. he wears simple shades when not in costume
    That is one of my problems with writers. They come in and have this attitude of "eff what was established years ago and has been accepted as fact...I have the characters now and will do whatever I want with them."

No respect for their history.

Or they could just say since he never learned to control it he still wears the glasses and show him training to control it.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 07-29-2020 at 05:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Controversial opinion: writers need to stop including every marginalized group in the mutant metaphor. It kind of works for race and the LGBTQ+ experience, but there are still pretty big holes in those applications of the metaphor.

At this point I think it’s more important that writers add actual diversity to the X-Men roster to keep the themes going.
    One of the most real moments was finding out the Morlocks didn't like having Storm as a leader... not because of where she came from, or the color of her skin, but because they saw her as being too "pretty" and then you find out that Masque had been using his powers on the Morlocks to make them "fit in" as Morlocks better.

IRL people will discriminate against others for pretty much ANY reason at all. And yes, that one hit home for me because I've seen it done both ways (too pretty and too ugly).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    That is one of my problems with writers. They come in and have this attitude of "eff what was established years ago and has been accepted as fact...I have the characters now and will do whatever I want with them."

No respect for their history.

Or they could just say since he never learned to control it he still wears the glasses and show him training to control it.
    Fun fact: when his powers started making crazy spirals post-Phoenix they did that even with the visor.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    One of the most real moments was finding out the Morlocks didn't like having Storm as a leader... not because of where she came from, or the color of her skin, but because they saw her as being too "pretty" and then you find out that Masque had been using his powers on the Morlocks to make them "fit in" as Morlocks better.

IRL people will discriminate against others for pretty much ANY reason at all. And yes, that one hit home for me because I've seen it done both ways (too pretty and too ugly).Fun fact: when his powers started making crazy spirals post-Phoenix they did that even with the visor.
    His post AvX X mask never made any sense to me

Astonishing Member

Btw they should get back to the X-Men #05 storyline pronto,because as it stood the trio were in the vault for 537 years.By my calculation since that issue in real time they have been there for about 1880 years! If we don't get back to them, they've probably got more in common with the children and call the vault their home more than they will Krakoa! Unless for them only their bodies show aging but not their minds because they perceive they've been in the vault like 9 months.If for them time in there is dilating to feel like an eternity then for all intents and purposes they are absolutely older than Moira in all her lives!

Fantastic Member

They could make it that the visor converts the energy output into different forms. So say xray vision or energy signature tracking, maybe converting the energy to heat lasers or freeze ray mode etc.

As far as the glasses. Maybe thats just to blend in better and hide the fact that his eyes are just ruby red colored orbs not like he's high all the time lol but somewhat like Wonderman