Page 530 of 657 FirstFirst ... 30430480520526527528529530531532533534540580630 ... LastLast
Results 7,936 to 7,950 of 9843

Quote Originally Posted by bearman View Post
    Perhaps I read redTOO much into young Bobby’s “ coming out “ scene… but my interpretation was that Teen Jean…haven’t just recently learned that she could read minds.. had not really figured out how to NOT read minds, and strong emotions probably jumped out at her. Her confronting him in public WAS in bad form, though.
    That’s how I interpret it. To be clear, though, she spoke with him privately, i.e., no one else was listening.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    That’s how I interpret it. To be clear, though, she spoke with him privately, i.e., no one else was listening.

I think that the reason it's still a subject of such debate is that people are not viewing it as a private conversation. I honestly think people view the reader as the one Bobby being exposed to being the source of most of the anger about it. And hey, to each there own triggers, but yeah, the best argument people have here is that Jean evesdropped telepathically, but for years we know that telepaths do this on accident all the time and Jean was also a teen so, yeah.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    I think that the reason it's still a subject of such debate is that people are not viewing it as a private conversation. I honestly think people view the reader as the one Bobby being exposed to being the source of most of the anger about it. And hey, to each there own triggers, but yeah, the best argument people have here is that Jean evesdropped telepathically, but for years we know that telepaths do this on accident all the time and Jean was also a teen so, yeah.
    I'm sure it also didn't help that HOW it was written could easily come across as Jeen using her TP to MAKE him so. I recall more than a few jokes in that regard when that issue released. The whole reveal needed a significantly better writer than Bendis to manage it, especially with how he was writing Jeen in general throughout the whole book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'm sure it also didn't help that HOW it was written could easily come across as Jeen using her TP to MAKE him so. I recall more than a few jokes in that regard when that issue released. The whole reveal needed a significantly better writer than Bendis to manage it, especially with how he was writing Jeen in general throughout the whole book.
    Oh yeah, Bendis was not the writer that should've tackled this. At all. And one of the reasons why I probably liked the scene fine was my expectations were really low by the end of that run.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    You mean Jean or Rachel?
    Jean. Always Jean.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Jean. Always Jean.
    I don't think Rachel is necessarily a bad choice

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'm sure it also didn't help that HOW it was written could easily come across as Jeen using her TP to MAKE him so.
    It really really doesn't. That's a completely dumb and ludicrous idea. That interpretation was mostly being pushed by homophobes in denial and Jeen haters because of what she did with Angel. But changing someone's mind about staying/leaving and "MAKING THEM GAY" are obviously not similar at all, both in how she would do such in-story and on a meta level of Marvel allowing that to be written. There are (arguably? objectively? not sure) many problems with the scene and the way the reveal was handle, but that was NOT one of them.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It really really doesn't. That's a completely dumb and ludicrous idea. That interpretation was mostly being pushed by homophobes in denial and Jeen haters because of what she did with Angel. But changing someone's mind about staying/leaving and "MAKING THEM GAY" are obviously not similar at all, both in how she would do such in-story and on a meta level of Marvel allowing that to be written. There are (arguably? objectively? not sure) many problems with the scene and the way the reveal was handle, but that was NOT one of them.
    In the long history of No Prizing retcons, rookie telepath mistaking mind reading with mind controlling ain't that farfetched. Please do not take me seriously.

While we're on the subject of the Jean/Bobby scene. While I don't think she actually turned him gay, I love the Jean Gay meme. It's hilarious. I even have a folder dedicated just to panel edits.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    While we're on the subject of the Jean/Bobby scene. While I don't think she actually turned him gay, I love the Jean Gay meme. It's hilarious. I even have a folder dedicated just to panel edits.
    Yeah, even if I don't agree with that reading at all, I did laugh about it when it was being passed around.

And honestly, Jean making people gay is such an awesome concept.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    It was baaaaad. Angel begging her not to self mutilate. Being forced to drop her from high heights. It was like mental abuse with a dash of reverse (didn't know it could be a thing.) physical abuse. It was hard to look away but you shouldn't look and did. It was pretty brutal. But then at the same time you felt so bad for both of them.
    Iirc, it wasn't in all new wolverine that Warren was a horrible boyfriend but in all new x-men. In anw their thing was "are you patting me on the head, it's a little weird but I didn't say stop"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Iirc, it wasn't in all new wolverine that Warren was a horrible boyfriend but in all new x-men. In anw their thing was "are you patting me on the head, it's a little weird but I didn't say stop"
    Correct, Abusive Angel was in Hopeless' ANXM. The relationship was just kind of...there in ANW, though it was still handled substantially better.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Yeah because Bobby drake is a really old character... and he's not bee written consistently enough to say unequivocally whether either side is "right"... the actual truth is that certain writer probably wrote him one way and some another.
    Yep, and that's what I was getting at with my posts.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by xhx23x View Post
    Well, I've been very consistent that "telepathic eavesdropping" is narratively terrible; writers should really stop using it in most cases, and it definitely shouldn't have been used in this one. Jeen being a teen is a flimsy excuse at best, the conclusion was thought up and Jeen was used to reach it.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don't think Rachel is necessarily a bad choice
    She's Prestige, though.