Page 347 of 657 FirstFirst ... 247297337343344345346347348349350351357397447 ... LastLast
Results 5,191 to 5,205 of 9845
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Here's another possibly unpopular/controversial opinion: Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame was a disappointing two-part finale to the Thanos conflict in the MCU and the X-Men shouldn't be forcibly fit into the same template. I don't think there should be solo films for any of the characters - and that includes Wolverine of course.
    Well, that's easily the most unpopular and controversial opinion possible since you're talking about the most successful movies of all time in the box office (and which, due to COVID, will probably hold the record for a LOOOOOOONG time), so Marvel will do just the opposite of that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Well, that's easily the most unpopular and controversial opinion possible since you're talking about the most successful movies of all time in the box office (and which, due to COVID, will probably hold the record for a LOOOOOOONG time), so Marvel will do just the opposite of that.
    I was not a fan of a lot of the Marvel movies and A:IW/E did nothing for me, and while you are probably right the truth is this is not the only way to make money. In fact, https://www.thewrap.com/top-grossing-movies-inflation/# if you take a look at history the best movie out of our time is not doing as well as it could. And I am sure there are other factors not discussed in that article, and then there would be other factors overlooked by any rebuttal, but I for one hope that todays movie industry lacks the creativity to not simply repeat itself.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I'll go another route.

I don't care about the phoenix at all.

It's one of marvel's worse cosmics/Lamer versions of jean Grey (Which says a lot cause a lot of Jean Grey sucks) and the only reason people give a damn is cause it's one of the things that arose from claremont's run.

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

I know, but I thought Endgame in particular was bad, and I don't think the same formula will work. Not to mention, the X-Men are ensemble books/stories - and Wolverine has had enough exposure, so set him aside.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I'll go another route.

I don't care about the phoenix at all.

It's one of marvel's worse cosmics/Lamer versions of jean Grey (Which says a lot cause a lot of Jean Grey sucks) and the only reason people give a damn is cause it's one of the things that arose from claremont's run.
    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    your gif has me screaming lololol you're so silly!!
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Here's another possibly unpopular/controversial opinion: Avengers: Infinity War/Endgame was a disappointing two-part finale to the Thanos conflict in the MCU and the X-Men shouldn't be forcibly fit into the same template. I don't think there should be solo films for any of the characters - and that includes Wolverine of course.
    Solo films isn't the only option now with the Disney+ shows. We already know those are doing the heavy lifting for setting up characters like Songbird, Kate Bishop and their respective teams, the Thunderbolts and Young Avengers.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 09-27-2020 at 06:22 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I was not a fan of a lot of the Marvel movies and A:IW/E did nothing for me, and while you are probably right the truth is this is not the only way to make money. In fact, https://www.thewrap.com/top-grossing-movies-inflation/# if you take a look at history the best movie out of our time is not doing as well as it could. And I am sure there are other factors not discussed in that article, and then there would be other factors overlooked by any rebuttal, but I for one hope that todays movie industry lacks the creativity to not simply repeat itself.
    Of course adjusted for inflation, there's movies that did more, but that doesn't take account the fact that there was less competition in the days of, say, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (not even TV, let alone internet and streaming) as well as the fact that some of those movies benefited from re-releases (like Star Wars), plus some differences on how the market is run (Gone With The Wind for example continued playing in major theaters for nearly a year, which no movie today can do).

Still, trying to find caveats or something to diminish the biggest box office hit of all time won't do you much good in most places, Hollywood specially.

BANNED

I’m just gonna say this csuse I think it is an unpopular opinion that nobody really wants to think about. DOX is not actually about refreshing the X-men line. It’s about marvel trying to see if they can take the event tie-in structure they do yearly and just make it permanent. They used the X-men cause it was the IP with the least baggage at the moment so that’s why it’s X-men. Just look at xos back pages it’s the same as dox but a different font. They are testing to see if they can eventually force you to read ALL there books in an endless event forever and right now it seems like they can. I expect by the end of dox 2/3 of all marvel books including avengers and spider man will be in that reading list to consolidate the audience

Extraordinary Member

Still, trying to find caveats or something to diminish the biggest box office hit of all time won't do you much good in most places, Hollywood specially.
    Well caveats or whatever you want to call it is what has to be found to have a discussion, especially if your argument for someone thinking the Avengers finale was underwhelming and not wanting to see the same thing for X-Men is just that it made the most money. As I said, we could go back and forth, like the current population being bigger, theatres being more widespread, but if you do not take into account inflation it is a meaningless measuring stick.

Pointing out the inflation is not diminishing the success of the movie, I am not making excuses for its sales, but I don't work in Hollywood either so I will take your word for it that everyone in Hollywood is just going to copy Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    LOL well.. THAT PART has driven much of the development for our fan collaborative narrative. We're trying to come up with something we feel is better than what post-Claremont comics gave us in regards to the Phoenix. Honestly... its really solid, and it offers something brand new, and gives Jean way more depth

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Kitty using the N-word in UXM 196 was apropos, and perfectly justified.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Sinister is useless. I really hate him, and not in a good way like I hate Empath (I'd happily pay from an issue where everybody gathers around and keeps kicking Empath to the face for 30 pages). I just want Sinister to go away. He is boring and pointless. When Mutant Massacre rolled out and they hinted there was a major player behind the attack, I was intrigued. Was it someone old, or someone totally new and interesting villain? And then they showed Sinister and I was like...seriously? The guy looks so 'forced evil' with sharp teeth and red eyes. And what's with his name, sounds like some parody villain (back then Dr Evil was not yet a thing).

Original concept behind him was at least, well, original though I wouldn't call it 'great' or anything. But he was then turned just into another two-bit mad scientist with generic powers, generic name and generic goals. Apocalypse does everything Sinister does but better so what's the point of Sinny? Also Sinister is largely responsible with the unhealthy obsession many writers have about Grey-Summers family line. And then he became a 'species' or something, oh dear.

I think only X-villain more pointless than Sinister is Fitzroy, but that is probably not particularly controversial opinion. I had actually forgot all about him until I recently read some old issues, showing what a waste of paper he was. So I'll leave some room for the possibility there is some even more useless villain than him whom I have just mercifully forgotten about.

That's not really that unpopular, a lot of people didn't like endgame and with marvel/disney movies just because they made a billion at the box office doesn't mean they were critically well liked. Personally I feel like infinity war was good while endgame was a let down.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Kitty using the N-word in UXM 196 was apropos, and perfectly justified.
    Can you explain why? I understand both terms are slurs, but it seems like even within the marvel universe the n-word would have more weight and history behind it (due to mutants being a relatively recent phenomena).

Also, when I’m called a slur my first reaction isn’t to fling one back. Aren’t the X-Men supposed to represent a higher standard for people to aspire too.