Page 606 of 664 FirstFirst ... 106506556596602603604605606607608609610616656 ... LastLast
Results 9,076 to 9,090 of 9959

Quote Originally Posted by Saithor View Post
    It honestly feels at time like she’s talking aboutYoung Justice like it was a Liefeld comic from the 90s…except I think even Rob didn’t fall into the “Fight the minority” issue as much. It’s just weird and a lot of the book comes across as backlash to people who didn’t like Bernard.

Also queerbaiting Tim and Connor. No, stop that.
    Best Conner romance is Cassie Sandsmark.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    well,. When it's a character that was CREATED that way? that's one thing. But changing a character that's existed for decades is lolwut inducing.

Yeah a minor character who's existed less than a year and is in only 6 comics ever.
    This literally makes no sense, the Comics Code Authority, would not allow gay characters to even exist in comics for decades. But that aside, this actually occurs in real life all the time, how this very real fact of life "lolwut inducing"?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    This literally makes no sense, the Comics Code Authority, would not allow gay characters to even exist in comics for decades. But that aside, this actually occurs in real life all the time, how this very real fact of life "lolwut inducing"?
    There's lots of things that happen IRL that movie/television can't get away with because audiences would stop and say, "Wait, What?"

For instance, when depicting the Brecourt Manor Assault in Band of Brothers they had to show Buck Compton plunking a fleeing German in the back with a grenade, which was spectacular enough, because if they showed him nailing the poor schlub IN THE HEAD as Compton did during the real assault (he was a star QB and pitcher in college) viewers would have balked and they would have risked breaking the audience's suspension of disbelief (this is the same reason the version of Amon Göth in Schindler's List is significantly toned down from the real Göth, because audiences would have assumed they were exaggerating even though he really was that monstrous).

Narrative fiction doesn't work by the same rules as real life. Even though people in real life can switch from A to D with nothing in between, we've been trained through centuries of literature and decades of film and television that characters must progress from A to B to C to D, and shortcutting any of those intervening stages will snap your audience out of the narrative.

Which SHOULD be evidenced by this conversation in of itself.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I do think sometimes they've handled it poorly (Iceman's "being outed by one of his closest friends" being a prominent example). Alan Scott coming out was also kind of a square peg round hole thing since it was because of how popular it was that an alternate version of him was gay they decided to make the main one gay too.

Then there was the Jackson Hyde/Kaldur thing, which was just confusing in the way/order those events happened. Introduce him in the show, make a version of him in the comics with a different name, personality, and made him gay, then the show made their version bi since he already had a female love interest at one point.

Then there's the Tim Drake thing, which...let's be honest, Tim's gotten the shaft by DC so hard (there are even animated Batfamily things that he's straight up just not in because others pull focus, or things like Young Justice where he's in but I think has literally no lines) that they made him bi just because they probably didn't know what else to do with him.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 10-27-2022 at 12:19 PM.

I've always been fond of the saying "Somethings only happen in real life and bad fiction."

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    There's lots of things that happen IRL that movie/television can't get away with because audiences would stop and say, "Wait, What?"

For instance, when depicting the Brecourt Manor Assault in Band of Brothers they had to show Buck Compton plunking a fleeing German in the back with a grenade, which was spectacular enough, because if they showed him nailing the poor schlub IN THE HEAD as Compton did during the real assault (he was a star QB and pitcher in college) viewers would have balked and they would have risked breaking the audience's suspension of disbelief (this is the same reason the version of Amon Göth in Schindler's List is significantly toned down from the real Göth, because audiences would have assumed they were exaggerating even though he really was that monstrous).

Narrative fiction doesn't work by the same rules as real life. Even though people in real life can switch from A to D with nothing in between, we've been trained through centuries of literature and decades of film and television that characters must progress from A to B to C to D, and shortcutting any of those intervening stages will snap your audience out of the narrative.

Which SHOULD be evidenced by this conversation in of itself.
    This.

There are a lot of things that happen in real life which wouldn't make for a good story at all. Like randomness and unbelievable coincidences happen all the time in real life, but for fiction there needs to be as little of them as possible.

Double post.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    This.

There are a lot of things that happen in real life which wouldn't make for a good story at all. Like randomness and unbelievable coincidences happen all the time in real life, but for fiction there needs to be as little of them as possible.
    Yeah, as someone who's spent a lot of time looking into real-life unsolved mysteries... a lot of them come down to "WTF were these people trying to do?" If we knew, then...well...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    This.

Another one from BoB: when Malarkey talks to the one German prisoner who grew up in the same town as he did, the ACTUAL prisoner grew up ON THE SAME BLOCK. But that would have been a coincidence too many.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

So there's a currently viral post on Twitter about Magneto that refers to him as "the magnet racist" and people are of course mad about it but...is it not accurate? Like even the most modern and friendly versions of Magneto he's never actually liked humans

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    So there's a currently viral post on Twitter about Magneto that refers to him as "the magnet racist" and people are of course mad about it but...is it not accurate? Like even the most modern and friendly versions of Magneto he's never actually liked humans
    The most modern versions of Magneto are not the ones he is the most friendly towards humans…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Now all the mutants make a distinction between them and the humans and treat the humans differently from the mutants.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

When Magneto says "I'm not racist, my best friend is human," this is what he means

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Fantastic Member Ulysian_Thracs's Avatar

In fairness, I'm a human and I don't like humans very much. I think we are cruel, petty, crafty apes who--at best--strive to be better than our base instincts as we hurtle through space on a giant rock circling a dying ball of gaseous flame. But that certainly doesn't make me a racist because my disdain isn't limited by race. Does it make me species-ist, instead? Or is it impossible for me to be a species-ist because of my species? Like, only people from other species can be species-ist. Not people who look like me?

I always liked Magneto because there is a truthfulness about him that I never found in Chuckles, which is FINALLY being exposed. They are both idealogues and demagogues, but Charles is so much better at hiding his manipulative nature than Erik is at leveraging his straightforward pragmatism. IMO
    I'm not totally useless. I can always be used as a bad example...

Yeah, calling his own species "superior" is a bit of a giveaway.