Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Default 'NYX' by Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, and Francesco Mortarino

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...from-the-ashes

NYX #1
    Written by COLLIN KELLY & JACKSON LANZING
    Art by FRANCESCO MORTARINO
    Cover by SARA PICHELLI
    On Sale 7/24

With Xavier’s school long gone and Krakoa destroyed, the greatest city on Earth is about to get a huge influx of mutants, whether they’re welcome there or not!

See a group of former X-Men students navigate young adulthood, discrimination, and threats bent on shattering human-mutant relations for good in NYX, a new ongoing series from hotshot writing duo Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing (TIMELESS, ALIEN: BLACK, WHITE & BLOOD) and rising star artist Francesco Mortarino (AVENGERS, CULT OF CARNAGE: MISERY).

Like the 2000s groundbreaking original series, NYX won’t shy away from reflecting the harsh realities of life as a mix of iconic and fan-favorite mutants reenter a world filled with bigotry, mistrust, and misinformation. Free from the X-Men’s guidance and Krakoa’s protection, they’ll shut out the noise and overcome the hate by doing what they do best—EVOLVING. But if you can count on anything, it’s that mutants are never all in agreement, and some are having a really hard time letting Krakoa go…

This is a book about mutants living past the end of their world and into a new beginning. This is Ms. Marvel embracing her mutant life in the neon streets of the Lower East Side. This is Anole trying to keep his head above water. This is Wolverine in the shadows of Bushwick, protecting her own. This is Prodigy writing history as it happens—and Sophie Cuckoo finding her own way. The news reports are bleak. The streets feel dangerous. There’s something lurking underground. Evil coming from every direction. But they’re determined to make it. This is mutant community. This is mutant pride. THIS IS NYX!

"This is the kind of book we came to Marvel to create," Kelly shared. "When the Hivemind first formed, Collin and I bonded over books like RUNAWAYS, YOUNG AVENGERS, and the original NYX—stories that showcased that tense, wonderful place where the mundane world and marvels collided. And no book has embodied that more in recent years than Ms. Marvel—Kamala Khan is one of the most definitive protagonists in the Marvel canon and we're deeply honored to be inheriting the character from Iman [Vellani] and Sabir [Pirzada], while chronicling a whole new phase in her growth as a young adult."

"The opportunity to take on these characters is both an incredible challenge and an amazing honor," Lanzing added. "Sophie, Anole, and Prodigy have been personal favorites since their time on the New Mutants and New X-Men—in a sense, we've become who we are right alongside them. And returning Laura to NYX—while in a radically different context that centers her heroism over her victimhood—feels like the chance to really bring the character full circle and help her grow into the next phase of her life."

"I was a big fan of Joe Quesada and Josh Middleton’s version, so I was thrilled when Editor Annalise Bissa asked me to draw NYX!" Mortarino said. "I'm so glad to have the opportunity to work on characters like X-23 and Ms. Marvel, and NYC is a location that I love, so I'm eager to deliver the city vibes that I would see in books like Daredevil and Spider-Man! I’ve been really enjoying Jackson and Collin’s scripts, and I can’t wait to bring them to life!"

Last month, fans got their first look at what awaits Marvel’s line of X-Men titles following the bold Krakoan Age with the reveal of three flagship series: Jed MacKay and Ryan Stegman’s X-MEN, Gail Simone and David Marquez’s UNCANNY X-MEN, and Eve L. Ewing and Carmen Carnero’s EXCEPTIONAL X-MEN.

The expansive mythos of the X-Men has always made space for additional series that test the limits and explore the far-reaching scope of the mutant metaphor. Fresh spins on classic X-Men titles and startling directions for your favorite mutants are just ahead, starting in July with X-FORCE, PHOENIX, and NYX.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

"and Sophie Cuckoo finding her own way"

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fantastic Member

Oh so it is Sophie. So is Uncanny X-Men the only series without a confirmed telepath?

Astonishing Member

So. Laura basically is the street level wolverine now. I'm good with that

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think this is a fine roster and I enjoyed what little I read of Kelly & Lanzig, and as far as premises go, this isn't a terrible one. Although what the hell is Laura wearing there.

Surprised to see Sophie as the final member, thought it would be Kiden.

Premise seems more or less interesting and the artist is kinda good. Just remove Kamala and replace her by any other character (even Glob Herman) and it would be better.

I'll give it a chance for Prodigy and Anole. Hope that Victor shows some personality like he had before Brisson started writting him during Dissasembled and Age of X-man and is not a depicted as a whinny spoiled kid.

RIP to Kiden Nixon lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    Oh so it is Sophie. So is Uncanny X-Men the only series without a confirmed telepath?
    Until X-Factor is revealed, I believe so.

"And returning Laura to NYX—while in a radically different context that centers her heroism over her victimhood—feels like the chance to really bring the character full circle and help her grow into the next phase of her life."

Also, this feels really nice. Krakoa was great for a lot of characters. But Laura is a big exception, IMO. She was mostly a low budget Wolverine being written as such. Hopefully the Hivemind can write her properly

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    Although I think that Gail has said that the full roster of Uncanny hasn't been revealed and has been teasing like forever that she likes M, so we'll have to wait to know the rest of the roster.

oh damn i actually am intrigued by the writers. Might have to give this a chance.

sophie finding out the other half of her parentage is Steve Rogers and telling her sisters.

Please universe give me this.
    Last edited by CGAR; 04-11-2024 at 12:34 PM.

Astonishing Member

Krakoa destroyed. Hmm.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

It’s a no for me. Weird that they will have two YA books.

Damn Sophie now I will have to buy.

I don't hate the cast. Glad to see Anole to get continual C level of love. I know fan of most Academy X fans suffer worse than I. However I was hoping for Synch at least. This seems like the most interesting title so far and yet....
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/