Page 410 of 657 FirstFirst ... 310360400406407408409410411412413414420460510 ... LastLast
Results 6,136 to 6,150 of 9846
    Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    I always thought the X-club was a great idea, especially for this era of X-men.

Agreed, and not to be unnecessarily controversial, but while I did love what David did for his X-Factor cast, I've always felt he was never really interested in writing Monet as anything similar to a black woman. I felt like he saw he as this racially ambiguous woman he could randomly attached superficial story beat onto.
    I see what people are saying but also because of the unfortunate publication and colorist renditions of the character- she is rich with the possibility for discourse on the subject of Colorism, pervasive and relevant as it is, through the lens of the mutant metaphor. These kind of snafus in publication are a staple about what makes the X-men such a rich read, canonically. They have enabled us to read through the lines of what is printed and add to the complexity of character! Monet should be a full on conversation on Colorism as it adds to her ‘perfection’ narrative and the privilege of her power set!

Agreed, and not to be unnecessarily controversial, but while I did love what David did for his X-Factor cast, I've always felt he was never really interested in writing Monet as anything similar to a black woman. I felt like he saw he as this racially ambiguous woman he could randomly attached superficial story beat onto.
    What exactly would writing her similar to a black woman entail? I won't defend the inconsistency of her skin tone but what exactly does writing her as a black woman look like?

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I see what people are saying but also because of the unfortunate publication and colorist renditions of the character- she is rich with the possibility for discourse on the subject of Colorism, pervasive and relevant as it is, through the lens of the mutant metaphor. These kind of snafus in publication are a staple about what makes the X-men such a rich read, canonically. They have enabled us to read through the lines of what is printed and add to the complexity of character! Monet should be a full on conversation on Colorism as it adds to her ‘perfection’ narrative and the privilege of her power set!
    If you want to address colorism do that. Don't make her family slave owners.

Aren’t Clan Akkabba essentially a bunch of slaves? Aren’t Nova Romans a bunch of slaves? Why would it make any difference if another affluent ancient bloodline incorporates a storyline that perhaps ceases with Monet in the new world, especially by addressing it?

Extraordinary Member

Monet always reminded me of a touch of Stacy Dash from Clueless. Both in Gen X and X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Have people stopped crying about Cyclops leaving Madelyne? That was 34 years ago.
    "Justice delayed is justice denied." I'll think about forgiving Scott when Marvel stops trying to justify his behavior by demonizing Maddie. If they bring her back again, please let it be for redemption.
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Monet always reminded me of a touch of Stacy Dash from Clueless. Both in Gen X and X-Factor
    Her tv actress looked like Stacey Dash. I thought it was her when I was younger

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    I think they mean its the same design as Rogue 90's costume but in different colour. Once you put them next to each other they're kinda right

Attachment 103047Attachment 103048

Personally I think Monet's costume is better, especially colour wise, but she is in dire need of a new costume.
    I'm not seeing it. It just feels like a typical superhero catsuit. The only similarity as far as I can see is that they're both worn by women known for being flying bricks.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-10-2020 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    Aren’t Clan Akkabba essentially a bunch of slaves? Aren’t Nova Romans a bunch of slaves? Why would it make any difference if another affluent ancient bloodline incorporates a storyline that perhaps ceases with Monet in the new world, especially by addressing it?
    You answered your own question. There are actual examples of slavery in the X-universe. We do not need to retcon slavery into Monet's family life while ignoring the instances of slavery already present. None of this adds anything to Monet's character and it doesn't even fit with how she's characterized. At worst, she's your typical high school mean girl. She's not a villain from a Jordan Peele horror movie.

The idea of the St Croix owning mutant slaves is not only ignoring canon but crossing the line. Monet grandfather and father were both part of Xavier’s mutant underground and supported the mutant cause at great personal risk. Given Algeria history under the brutal French colonial regime, it feels very tone deaf to suggest that the St Croix owning mutant slaves would be a better allegory for the mutant metaphor rather that writers actually addressing and exploring Monet Algerian heritage and her experience growing up as a french Algerian.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You answered your own question. There are actual examples of slavery in the X-universe. We do not need to retcon slavery into Monet's family life while ignoring the instances of slavery already present. None of this adds anything to Monet's character and it doesn't even fit with how she's characterized. At worst, she's your typical high school mean girl. She's not a villain from a Jordan Peele horror movie.
    Exactly. Plus the St Croix aren’t even an affluent ancient bloodline. You don’t have to be an aristocrate to be an ambassador and from what we know the St. Croix are rich from their grandfather being a successful businessman and owning several corporations. It’s very simple and well explained, we don’t need to start adding twisted family legacy of slave owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Very good explanation. I think that if I viewed comic book characters like real people or even characters written by one author with a singular vision I would go crazy over how many horrible things they’ve done.

While I want the threads to go to another topic, I do have a quick question for the Emma haters. What solution would satisfy you with regards to the character? Do you want every comic book she’s in to explicitly call her out or do you want writers to not use her at all? Legitimately curious.
    Like I said, it really comes down to the readers. Its hard for me, personally, to do that with a lot of characters. Problem with everything being in cannon is it gets harder and harder for me to just ignore some of that stuff.

As an Emma-hater, I don't think I can be satisfied. I think she should be treated as a villain completely and stop trying to act like she's just some token mean girl. She's gotten away with so much, and having a straight rich white woman who's done those thing be one of the leading voices of your minority group just rubs me the wrong way

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    The idea of the St Croix owning mutant slaves is not only ignoring canon but crossing the line. Monet grandfather and father were both part of Xavier’s mutant underground and supported the mutant cause at great personal risk. Given Algeria history under the brutal French colonial regime, it feels very tone deaf to suggest that the St Croix owning mutant slaves would be a better allegory for the mutant metaphor rather that writers actually addressing and exploring Monet Algerian heritage and her experience growing up as a french Algerian.
    I just want to take a second to give a witness.

It's one thing to have your own view of what's actually there. It's entirely another to just "Moira..." a character's background when we've got almost nothing that actually points to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Apparently, Lobdell says she looks like Sade. I like to think of Monet as Sade’s head on Gabrielle Reece’s body but 2 shades darker. She just looks like this young Olympian.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I’ve never thought of her as a villain but a young woman constantly having to battle the dark aspects of her family’s bloodline. And yes, they are ancient- En Sabah Nur remarked to M that he’d done battle with a St. Croix in his ancient past. So they’ve been around and they’re a bit formidable... I’d love to see a series about them.

When did Poccy say that? "St. Croix" can't be much older than 14th century AD. I'm more interested in her mother's line.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!