Page 543 of 656 FirstFirst ... 43443493533539540541542543544545546547553593643 ... LastLast
Results 8,131 to 8,145 of 9839
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's a good point.
    How many people here have been vociferously disappointed with this era from day one?

We say we want change but...it must be dictated by us and to hell with what the writers (who are actually paid to provide content and service to millions of other readers) do.

The Academy X kids do not have the following to keep the entire X-Line afloat.

Personally, I like the mix of Classic (updated) and new, younger characters...I get the best of both worlds.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

And I know that some people want Spider-Man to be that and I’m glad he’s not because it changes the character from being someone you can relate to into someone who is like your dad.
    This makes absolutely no sense coming out of JDW. If Spider-man never aged and he was still a teenager, how does JDW as a 40 something year old man relate to a teenager. like huh?.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    This might not be controversial, but in the most recent X-Men Monday JDW talks about his opinions on growth and aging in comics: https://aiptcomics.com/2021/10/25/x-...een-book-club/

I personally think this is one of the worst takes I've ever heard. We all know that comics thrive in the illusion of change, but so thoroughly embracing comics as a stagnant medium just seems like a way to stifle innovation and ensure that fans never get to see character growth. Also this idea that a character becoming a parent or entering any new stage of their life makes them unrelatable is honestly ridiculous.
    His take is very much a corporate Marvel guy take- which is basically just "let's keep everything like it was in my childhood" since Quesada was the EiC.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Especially considering the majority of Comic book readers/buyers/collectors are adults, in relationships...some married, with children.
    Also, because of his powers Superman looks pretty much exactly the same. If the problem is not being able to use the characters, there's a lot of ways for it not matter or hand-waved (say, Peter Parker is 30 something, but could pass for 25, which is something even in real life some people do, or the X-men being resurrected in younger bodies).

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Personally, I like the mix of Classic (updated) and new, younger characters...I get the best of both worlds.
    100% agree. You get the mainstays to drive initial interest and the opportunity to develop less popular characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This makes absolutely no sense coming out of JDW. If Spider-man never aged and he was still a teenager, how does JDW as a 40 something year old man relate to a teenager. like huh?.
    Man-children relate to other man-children?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Also, because of his powers Superman looks pretty much exactly the same. If the problem is not being able to use the characters, there's a lot of ways for it not matter or hand-waved (say, Peter Parker is 30 something, but could pass for 25, which is something even in real life some people do, or the X-men being resurrected in younger bodies).
    The issue isnt about how a character looks

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    This is a perfect example of what fans say they want vs what they really purchase, because if we were being realistic with time most of the X-men that you guys claim you like would be either dead or so old they wouldn't be combat ready.

The Academy X kids would be main team right now as adults while people like Cyclops would be in a wheel chair chair. Dani Moon star would be in her 60s.
    Have you read my explanation of why I LOVE MC2? And yeah, I actually did buy MC2 books!

1-1 time passage? nah, that's too much. But static non-time is worse.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    It's never made sense. It's probably just a corporate tool to avoid changing too much. Some fans seem to buy into it

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I think they fear the characters will grow up too much so they no longer will appeal to new readers but I think their real problem is that they are holding their traditional readers but hardly have gotten new readers despite them going to pains to keep the status quo and even tiring out older readers who stopped reading the comics. They need new readers but keeping the characters young and rebotting the series all the time is not helping to get them imo so maybe they should change strategy.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    I think they fear the characters will grow up too much so they no longer will appeal to new readers but I think their real problem is that they are holding their traditional readers but hardly have gotten new readers despite them going to pains to keep the status quo and even tiring out older readers who stopped reading the comics. They need new readers but keeping the characters young and rebotting the series all the time is not helping to get them imo so maybe they should change strategy.
    Yeah, attracting interest.. there's a lot of ways, but keeping readers invested? Magic reset button kinda ruins that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Everything has a lifespan… X-men world has become too complex, cryptic for new readers and lack of consistence if you consider the whole production… For producers, the X-men is “a goose that lays golden eggs”… (compared to other things)… but for how long?
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

As long as they donīt do an "infinite crisis of the earth" style of crossover, because I donīt think it would help, I am ok with them bringing new concepts to the franchise, or simplify it. one of the most awesome parts of the X-men is that they feel like a world inside the mu and they can given many other stories in the future.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

BANNED

This franchise's greatest characters are Jean, Ro, Anna Marie Raven LeBeau, and Kwannizabeth, and the only reason the comic books don't lean into this fact is that management values outdated opinions.

The movie producers are going to boost these 4* into the stratosphere.

*3 if they feel like Jean Grey content has been mined enough.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 10-30-2021 at 01:52 AM.

Out of all the variations of the life and death of such and such claremont still did it best with his lifedeath featuring storm.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

The only time Storm was interesting was when she lost her powers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    This franchise's greatest characters are Jean, Ro, Anna Marie Raven LeBeau, and Kwannizabeth, and the only reason the comic books don't lean into this fact is that management values outdated opinions.

The movie producers are going to boost these 4* into the stratosphere.

*3 if they feel like Jean Grey content has been mined enough.
    Um, isn't Kwannizabeth outdated too?

And Jean probably has been used a lot in the XCU. Not that we ever really knew that version as a person