Page 493 of 663 FirstFirst ... 393443483489490491492493494495496497503543593 ... LastLast
Results 7,381 to 7,395 of 9936

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    Have humans ever unilaterally appointed a king to rule over the mutants?
    Who is this "King" I keep seeing posters refer to? Is it Magneto? I'm out of the loop on this one.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

Quote Originally Posted by rcaguy View Post
    Why would they talk to humans about this? The "Humans" you are referring to has made it pretty clear they aren't interested in their problems and pretty much told them to buzz off.

Now that they've pretty much decided to,we are supposed to be all upset over it? Give me a break.

The Mutants have now got the resources and allies that they need to pull this off without looking to Earth Governments for aid or advice.

Which is what these Governments have always pretty much wanted,isn't it?
    Humans also live on solar System.

Have humans ever unilaterally appointed a king to rule over the mutants?
    Of course not.

International order is anarchism. There isnt international police (interpol isn't that). Countries can vote ONU resolutions.
    It's not perfect, but it is not like Someone show up and say they are the king of Earth

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Who is this "King" I keep seeing posters refer to? Is it Magneto? I'm out of the loop on this one.
    The mutants appointed a ruler, "Regent", to rule over Sol. It's sounding like maybe it's the big thing they keep hinting will be for Storm? But given his involvement in the project and with SWORD I wouldn't be shocked if Magneto crowned himself ruler.
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 06-18-2021 at 09:59 AM.

Unpopular Opinion: Even though I enjoyed the Hellfire Gala, I don’t need any more, at least for the next couple years. While I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the mutants hellcarpet designs, the voting for a new X-Men team, and the theorizing about what big reveals were coming up, I feel like this was lightning captured in a bottle. I feel like Hickman’s run was at the perfect place regarding expansion to have this type of event, but next year I’d hope/ imagine that we’d be in a very different place. I just can’t imagine myself reaching the same level of excitement if this were to happen again next year. Most of the writers did a good job naturally connecting their stories to the Gala, but unless it was incredibly different next year I don’t really need to see it again. Even a paired down version limited to Marauders sounds repetitive.

That all being said, I DO think it’s an interesting concept to revisit potentially a couple years down the line once we’ve reached a different status quo since the context of the event would probably be very different.

a lil tipsy typing this so hoping there aren’t too many spelling errors

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    it is a baseless hyperbolic speculation presented as fact. As:
    No one has been appointed.
    No one knows the capacity in which the Regent will be acting.
    Regent does not mean "King".
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Regent means someone acting in place of a king, so yes it would be a royal position

Militantly Indifferent Kisinith's Avatar

Regent means someone acting in place of a king, so yes it would be a royal position
    Quote Originally Posted by Merriam-Webster
    Definition of regent
    1: a person who governs a kingdom in the minority, absence, or disability of the sovereign
    2: a person who rules or reigns : GOVERNOR
    3: a member of a governing board (as of a state university)
    When kings or queens aren't able to do their jobs — because they're ill, or often because they are children — trusted advisers called regents fill in.
    There's also a more permanent kind of regent who helps to run a business or university and can also be called a director, trustee or board member.

A slight correction though, from a linguistic standpoint, Regent is explicitly NOT a royal position. A royal regent is a "prince regent" or "queen regent" etc.

Within the comics, this is clearly a bit of a power grab, however it is not necessarily as much of one as some people want to claim. Using Regent implies that this is a care-holder position not a permanent power grab (small comfort for the regular humans I know). It also gives its owner the status to face the many Kings, Majestors, Emperors etc on a politically equal footing, much more so than if it were simply named Ambassador or Director. Something the Earth has lacked until now.

As there is so much more to the title than the knee jerk "The declared themselves kings!!!" then until I see the mutants actually trying to exercise dictatorial power over the earth I'm not going to leap to the assumption that that is what they are doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    When kings or queens aren't able to do their jobs — because they're ill, or often because they are children — trusted advisers called regents fill in.
    There's also a more permanent kind of regent who helps to run a business or university and can also be called a director, trustee or board member.

A slight correction though, from a linguistic standpoint, Regent is explicitly NOT a royal position. A royal regent is a "prince regent" or "queen regent" etc.

Within the comics, this is clearly a bit of a power grab, however it is not necessarily as much of one as some people want to claim. Using Regent implies that this is a care-holder position not a permanent power grab (small comfort for the regular humans I know). It also gives its owner the status to face the many Kings, Majestors, Emperors etc on a politically equal footing, much more so than if it were simply named Ambassador or Director. Something the Earth has lacked until now.

As there is so much more to the title than the knee jerk "The declared themselves kings!!!" then until I see the mutants actually trying to exercise dictatorial power over the earth I'm not going to leap to the assumption that that is what they are doing.
    Come through with the definitions! I think we definitely need to see how this plays out outside of data pages.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    it is a baseless hyperbolic speculation presented as fact. As:
    No one has been appointed.
    No one knows the capacity in which the Regent will be acting.
    Regent does not mean "King".
    It really means "Baby Sitter" for all practical purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regent
    Last edited by rcaguy; 06-20-2021 at 08:24 AM.

Still, there's no denying that most people won't take it as benign, and Krakoa better have some plans to smooth things out - unless they're actually trying to antagonize. Which, they've certainly done before.
    Does it need doing?
    Yes.
    Then it will be done.

Spectacular Member Solitaryhawk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Unpopular Opinion: Even though I enjoyed the Hellfire Gala, I don’t need any more, at least for the next couple years. While I thoroughly enjoyed seeing all the mutants hellcarpet designs, the voting for a new X-Men team, and the theorizing about what big reveals were coming up, I feel like this was lightning captured in a bottle. I feel like Hickman’s run was at the perfect place regarding expansion to have this type of event, but next year I’d hope/ imagine that we’d be in a very different place. I just can’t imagine myself reaching the same level of excitement if this were to happen again next year. Most of the writers did a good job naturally connecting their stories to the Gala, but unless it was incredibly different next year I don’t really need to see it again. Even a paired down version limited to Marauders sounds repetitive.

That all being said, I DO think it’s an interesting concept to revisit potentially a couple years down the line once we’ve reached a different status quo since the context of the event would probably be very different.

a lil tipsy typing this so hoping there aren’t too many spelling errors
    LOL. In a couple of years there won't be a Hellfire Gala. Krakoa will be a crater and the mutants will be scattered to the winds. Again.

"Avengers Assemble!" > "To me, my X-Men!"

Scratch that, "to me, my X-Men" is just a crappy line.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    "Avengers Assemble!" > "To me, my X-Men!"

Scratch that, "to me, my X-Men" is just a crappy line.
    It works when Xavier is saying it. It doesn't really come across right for anybody else. It's closer to Thing's "It's Clobberin' Time!" than to "Avengers Assemble."

Quote Originally Posted by Solitaryhawk View Post
    LOL. In a couple of years there won't be a Hellfire Gala. Krakoa will be a crater and the mutants will be scattered to the winds. Again.
    Now that we are out of the editorially mandated franchise assassination the future will be sorely decided by the best selling strategy, any shitty storyline direction will be easily rejected by low sales and fans reactions
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

If the regent so acting in place of the king or queen, who's Earth's regent acting in place of?