Page 126 of 655 FirstFirst ... 2676116122123124125126127128129130136176226626 ... LastLast
Results 1,876 to 1,890 of 9824

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I wouldn't say Claremont is overrated but I definitely agree that Claremont/Smith was the peak X-Men for me. Their storytelling was top-notch and all the plots were new and exciting.

I'm not a fan of the supposedly "deconstruction" of the title for the next few years. There is some good stuff (Rogue on Savage Land, Banshee/Forge bromance, Muir Island saga) but his writing started to get old and his decisions weren't as organic as before.

The constant changes of the status quo didn't help. We barely explored the effects of the Mutant Massacre when Fall of the Mutants happens, then we don't even use the hidden aspect of the Outback team when they go into the Siege Perilous... That means we never get to understand the point of things like Ororo becoming a child, Asian Psylocke or Longshot being on the team.

Sometimes I wonder WHAT IF we had other writers take on UXM back then. What would Roger Stern, DeMatteis, Starlin or even Alan Moore do with the mutants? It would be probably very healthy for the franchise to have another vision for the team, adding new and fresh ideas to the X-lore.
    I understand what you are saying about not really being able to explore what all those things meant (i.e. MM fallout, Outback team being invisible and Siege Perilous, Longshot et al) but I kind of chalk it up to Claremont having only so many issues in which to get to where he wanted to go all the while having to be involved in company crossover and editorial mandated changes which derailed his overall storyline and meant he had to change several many ongoing plans. Not all of that was successful, but I quite enjoyed the era from Siege Perilous to X-Tinction Agenda.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

We really need to see more of people like Sunfire. I like all our X-Men regulars, but it's a disservice to these other characters that could eventually join that label. Even some rogues could use some more spotlight.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    We really need to see more of people like Sunfire. I like all our X-Men regulars, but it's a disservice to these other characters that could eventually join that label. Even some rogues could use some more spotlight.
    I don't know if this is controversial, but I 100% agree.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

The controversial aspect of it was not being tired of the main X-Men.

Astonishing Member

90s xmen books were generally mediocre or terrible except for a few spin off runs, like the Wolverine solo book or Kelly's Deadpool. I include the Jim Lee period in the mediocre group.
    Age of Apocalypse is the only big highlight of that decade.

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    I understand what you are saying about not really being able to explore what all those things meant (i.e. MM fallout, Outback team being invisible and Siege Perilous, Longshot et al) but I kind of chalk it up to Claremont having only so many issues in which to get to where he wanted to go all the while having to be involved in company crossover and editorial mandated changes which derailed his overall storyline and meant he had to change several many ongoing plans. Not all of that was successful, but I quite enjoyed the era from Siege Perilous to X-Tinction Agenda.
    I think that is a huge part of it, yes. But, on the other side, he never got to explain why the Marauders killed the Morlocks and he had more than enough issues to address that (just an example).

I also think his writing started becoming more and more repetitive around that time. "The focused totality of her psychic powers" etc.

Considering the tension between the editorial mandates and his attachment to the characters, I think he did a great job. I just wonder what would be like having other competent writers from the 80s (DeMatteis, Starlin, Wolfman) writing the mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I think that is a huge part of it, yes. But, on the other side, he never got to explain why the Marauders killed the Morlocks and he had more than enough issues to address that (just an example).

I also think his writing started becoming more and more repetitive around that time. "The focused totality of her psychic powers" etc.

Considering the tension between the editorial mandates and his attachment to the characters, I think he did a great job. I just wonder what would be like having other competent writers from the 80s (DeMatteis, Starlin, Wolfman) writing the mutants.
    Lord Claremont’s arcs are just a bit longer than Human arcs. In retrospect, I feel like his unwillingness to heel-turn Magneto radiates off the pages of X-Men #1, and then successive writers obviously had trouble turning the Acolytes into anything like a serious threat (Forearm! Orange teleporter guy! Fart girl! They’re pretty ridiculous really.)

Now that Psylocke is Captain Britain, she should stop dying her hair and just be blonde. If Kwannon is going to be Psylocke anyway, let her have the purple hair.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Now that Psylocke is Captain Britain, she should stop dying her hair and just be blonde. If Kwannon is going to be Psylocke anyway, let her have the purple hair.
    That’s a volcanic take around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    That’s a volcanic take around these parts.
    I am to please or immolate, based on the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    Does x-men evolution have this:
    No but it has this which is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by WeirdSpider View Post
    No but it has this which is way better.
    I know so many people hate that episode, but I adore "Sirens of Bayville". Watching Boom-Boom, Magma, Rogue, Shadowcat, and Jean running around doing goofy stuff was so much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I can do without asian women have colored hair.

I actually like the lavender hair on Betsy

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    I can do without asian women have colored hair.

I actually like the lavender hair on Betsy
    I also love the lavender. But I preferred it with this costume. lol

This was gone too soon, imo.

That costume is great... for Psylocke. With Captain Britain, and the red/white/blue color scheme it doesn't look great.